MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Dude you're running through all my potential cart upgrades. The ART9 and MP500 are at the top of my list.
The Art9xi is all that people say it is.. its pretty damn awesome.

I just put the MP500 on today, so will give myself some time to adjust and then try to compare to the ART9.

New member here, just finished reading this entire thread. I purchased a used UltraDeck with Master tracker from Music Direct and thought I had watched every review and read every thread on them prior to my purchase, but then a friend on SHFs sent me here. I was deciding between the Studio Deck with Master tracker and a Rega P6 when the "Deal" came up for a "like new" 9/10 used UD for $1700. This is an upgrade from my Fluance RT-85 with Ortofon 2M Blue.

So while reading EVERY post I ordered the lithium grease, makeup brush, (I already have the bamboo board) and I have a super heavy weight on the way. I tried my Fluance record weight which actually weighs more than the Mofi Champion but it seemed to mute the highs too much, and the MofI has great recommendations here.

Then while reading the serial numbers posted I saw I actually had an older first run TT from a well known member here and what appears to be a brand new Mastertracker, not sure if there is anyway to tell if it is broken in without a microscope if that. He really took good care of the Mofi as it is in great shape with no issues.

I got to do a lot of active listening this past rainy weekend and the things that most stand out to me are how dead silent the noise floor is at lower volumes and that I had zero ear fatigue. The fluance had some distortion in the highs and rumble in the lows. I am now looking to add a Phono Amp possibly the Mofi Ultra or the Darlington MP7 but open to suggestions.

Oh and does the $5 U-Turn Orbit black replacement belt actually work on this platter?

Turntable: UltraDeck / Super Heavyweight
Cartridge: MasterTracker
Amp: Marantz PM-8006
Phono: TBD
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins CM9 S2s
Power Conditioner: Audiolabs DC Blocker
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1 Interconnects
Speaker Cable: Canare 4S11 Bi-Wired

New member here, just finished reading this entire thread. I purchased a used UltraDeck with Master tracker from Music Direct and thought I had watched every review and read every thread on them prior to my purchase, but then a friend on SHFs sent me here. I was deciding between the Studio Deck with Master tracker and a Rega P6 when the "Deal" came up for a "like new" 9/10 used UD for $1700. This is an upgrade from my Fluance RT-85 with Ortofon 2M Blue.

So while reading EVERY post I ordered the lithium grease, makeup brush, (I already have the bamboo board) and I have a super heavy weight on the way. I tried my Fluance record weight which actually weighs more than the Mofi Champion but it seemed to mute the highs too much, and the MofI has great recommendations here.

Then while reading the serial numbers posted I saw I actually had an older first run TT from a well known member here and what appears to be a brand new Mastertracker, not sure if there is anyway to tell if it is broken in without a microscope if that. He really took good care of the Mofi as it is in great shape with no issues.

I got to do a lot of active listening this past rainy weekend and the things that most stand out to me are how dead silent the noise floor is at lower volumes and that I had zero ear fatigue. The fluance had some distortion in the highs and rumble in the lows. I am now looking to add a Phono Amp possibly the Mofi Ultra or the Darlington MP7 but open to suggestions.

Oh and does the $5 U-Turn Orbit black replacement belt actually work on this platter?

Welcome again ;)

Apparently my UD didn't want to leave N&G, lol

Welcome! And welcome back to @AnthonyI's UltraDeck.

No it will not, that being said, assuming it's the belt I left on the table, it was replaced in January ;)
Thanks for the update. Did you ever get the Darlington Labs MP-7 to demo and if so did you use it with the UD? I read the MM-6 travels the USA thread but didn’t see an update. I am thinking of ordering the MP-7 tomorrow but sent them a question about cart compatibility since they have something in their FAQs regarding AT carts.

Thanks for the update. Did you ever get the Darlington Labs MP-7 to demo and if so did you use it with the UD? I read the MM-6 travels the USA thread but didn’t see an update. I am thinking of ordering the MP-7 tomorrow but sent them a question about cart compatibility since they have something in their FAQs regarding AT carts.
I demoed both, but not on the UD system.

What are your preferred qualities on sound ? ie Dynamics, smooth mids and warmth, detail, crisp high's, do you need/want future moving coil compatibility etc ?

If it was me and Moving Magnet was fine (Grado for life here) I would look into a Hagerman. Not a bad review, hand made, tube smoothness and warmth, good 12AX7's should always be available despite the current panic.

He also has a solid state mm/mc phono stage. again check the testimonials

The Darlington seems to have a good rep and good measurements.

There are many Mofi/Sutherland users here if you can go up a price range.

Last edited:
What are your preferred qualities on sound ? ie Dynamics, smooth mids and warmth, detail, crisp high's, do you need/want future moving coil compatibility etc ?

If it was me and Moving Magnet was fine (Grado for life here) I would look into a Hagerman. Not a bad review, hand made, tube smoothness and warmth, good 12AX7's should always be available despite the current panic.

He also has a solid state mm/mc phono stage. again check the testimonials

The Darlington seems to have a good rep and good measurements.

There are many Mofi/Sutherland users here if you can go up a price range.
I ordered the Darlington Labs MP-7 this morning as I could not find a bad review or comment about them. I emailed Keith last night with some possible concerns and he responded immediately and assured me it would work with my setup and if not I could just return it. Hopefully it will be here by memorial Day weekend so I can get some good break in time with it. I will check out your suggestions as well. I did look at the Sutherland and would have loved to scoop up the deal that was posted here for the used 20/20. I don't plan on going to MC or balanced inputs at least until the MasterTracker needs to be replaced.

But to answer your question: Dynamic with a detailed sound stage and some bass punch, if that is possible. One thing I have not tried is hooking up my Elac powered Andrew Jones Sub. I stopped using the Sub with my Fluance due to rumble that did improve with the Bamboo block. I used to use the sub a lot when streaming Tidal MQA, but for the past 2 years I have been primarily listening to Vinyl at lower listening levels, and that is why I upgraded my TT to the UD.

My demo LPs and current results are:

AP Shelby Lynn - Just a little loving for Female Vocals: Perfectly centered and breathy, the cymbals lack punch and decay.
AP Dean Martin - Dream With Dean for Male Vocals: Amazing you can hear his tongue with growling vocal bass.
AP Muddy Waters - Folk Singer 2X45 For Presence and Dynamics: highs and reverb seem decreased in comparison to my previous setup.
Mofi Steve Miller Band- Fly like an Eagle Super Vinyl For Soundstage: wide and holographic
Mofi Yes -Fragile UD One Step for Bass: this was the most surprising as in my old setup Chris Squrie's bass rattled my bones but with the UD they are more tame, detailed, but lack punch.
Impex Frank Sinatra - Sing & Dance Mono for Rhythm: Top notch 10/10.

I ordered the Darlington Labs MP-7 this morning as I could not find a bad review or comment about them. I emailed Keith last night with some possible concerns and he responded immediately and assured me it would work with my setup and if not I could just return it. Hopefully it will be here by memorial Day weekend so I can get some good break in time with it. I will check out your suggestions as well. I did look at the Sutherland and would have loved to scoop up the deal that was posted here for the used 20/20. I don't plan on going to MC or balanced inputs at least until the MasterTracker needs to be replaced.

But to answer your question: Dynamic with a detailed sound stage and some bass punch, if that is possible. One thing I have not tried is hooking up my Elac powered Andrew Jones Sub. I stopped using the Sub with my Fluance due to rumble that did improve with the Bamboo block. I used to use the sub a lot when streaming Tidal MQA, but for the past 2 years I have been primarily listening to Vinyl at lower listening levels, and that is why I upgraded my TT to the UD.

My demo LPs and current results are:

AP Shelby Lynn - Just a little loving for Female Vocals: Perfectly centered and breathy, the cymbals lack punch and decay.
AP Dean Martin - Dream With Dean for Male Vocals: Amazing you can hear his tongue with growling vocal bass.
AP Muddy Waters - Folk Singer 2X45 For Presence and Dynamics: highs and reverb seem decreased in comparison to my previous setup.
Mofi Steve Miller Band- Fly like an Eagle Super Vinyl For Soundstage: wide and holographic
Mofi Yes -Fragile UD One Step for Bass: this was the most surprising as in my old setup Chris Squrie's bass rattled my bones but with the UD they are more tame, detailed, but lack punch.
Impex Frank Sinatra - Sing & Dance Mono for Rhythm: Top notch 10/10.
I think you choose wisely. If it does not work out you can always return ti I believe. And. ahem, thanks for the reminder about that Shelby Lynn AP! ... I have to move that up my want list now :giggle:

I think you choose wisely. If it does not work out you can always return ti I believe. And. ahem, thanks for the reminder about that Shelby Lynn AP! ... I have to move that up my want list now :giggle:
When I was making weekend road trips to demo TTs I always brought it. At one Hi-Fi store 3 people came up to ask what it was, it is that good. Unfortunately, the latest repress has bad reviews on Discogs for surface noise. Maybe you can pickup a NM used copy of the older version.

When I was making weekend road trips to demo TTs I always brought it. At one Hi-Fi store 3 people came up to ask what it was, it is that good. Unfortunately, the latest repress has bad reviews on Discogs for surface noise. Maybe you can pickup a NM used copy of the older version.
HAHA, same thing happens to me with the Billie Holiday Songs For Distingue Lovers AP ;)

Well my luck with this TT upgrade keeps getting better! The MoFi record weight arrived yesterday and they sent me the “Champion“ not the standard. I didn‘t want to get charged the extra $200, especially because I was skeptical that there would be a difference, so I called and they allowed me to keep it for no additional charge.

So, I was in the “this has to be snake oil“ camp, and before you say “of course if you put an almost one pound hockey puck on your spindle it will sound different”, remember that my Fluance record weight is even heavier and similar in design and I definitely thought it degraded the music quality. Well to my surprise there is definitely a very noticeable improvement in sound quality most noticeable in depth of bass clarity. I will have to do some more A/B testing this weekend.

One issue is that the head shell can clip the top of the weight so you need to watch for that when lifting the tonearm500CB602-8A27-45E3-AA75-A0064DE7E756.jpeg.

Well my luck with this TT upgrade keeps getting better! The MoFi record weight arrived yesterday and they sent me the “Champion“ not the standard. I didn‘t want to get charged the extra $200, especially because I was skeptical that there would be a difference, so I called and they allowed me to keep it for no additional charge.

So, I was in the “this has to be snake oil“ camp, and before you say “of course if you put an almost one pound hockey puck on your spindle it will sound different”, remember that my Fluance record weight is even heavier and similar in design and I definitely thought it degraded the music quality. Well to my surprise there is definitely a very noticeable improvement in sound quality most noticeable in depth of bass clarity. I will have to do some more A/B testing this weekend.

One issue is that the head shell can clip the top of the weight so you need to watch for that when lifting the tonearmView attachment 138979.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again- the MoFi weights are the only ones I’ve ever heard that make a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again- the MoFi weights are the only ones I’ve ever heard that make a noticeable improvement in sound quality.
The VPI Delrin clamp on my old man's HW19 rig did, the Michell Reflex Clamp on my present Scout ?, not so sure, a little, but it does help flatten of course. I hope to try the VPI Heavyweight and Wayne's Audio Outer Ring on a VPI Classic one day, that's my twilight wish rig.

Interesting note, The Michell clamp is not currently available in North America due to loosing their North American distributor and The VPI clamps are out of stock due to production supply issues.

Last edited:
Back