Metal!

So, I been doing the 1001 Album generator thing, there is a thread. Tonight's album was Judas Priest's British Steel. After listening to it and reading about it, I don't know. Is it one of those important albums that just loses its luster if you have heard all the stuff that it inspired? It just sounded dated and a little thin. A full third of the album is absolute filler.

Or... is it that this band is just like Iron Maiden and they are actually awesome and for whatever reason, they just aren't for me.

I'd certainly never listened to the album before tonight, I only knew Breaking the Law (which I would have sworn was Thin Lizzy) and Living After Midnight which is undeniably great. I remember liking Screaming for Vengeance and Ram it Down when I was teenager.

As stated before, my metal experience is definitely more limited than most in this thread - I have no reference that I know of to even compare that to, but it sure made for an awesome drive home from work today.
There are some metal heads on the forum who can help steer you in the right direction 😉🤘

So, I been doing the 1001 Album generator thing, there is a thread. Tonight's album was Judas Priest's British Steel. After listening to it and reading about it, I don't know. Is it one of those important albums that just loses its luster if you have heard all the stuff that it inspired? It just sounded dated and a little thin. A full third of the album is absolute filler.

Or... is it that this band is just like Iron Maiden and they are actually awesome and for whatever reason, they just aren't for me.

I'd certainly never listened to the album before tonight, I only knew Breaking the Law (which I would have sworn was Thin Lizzy) and Living After Midnight which is undeniably great. I remember liking Screaming for Vengeance and Ram it Down when I was teenager.
I agree about British Steel, frankly only the "Breaking the law" song is absolutely essential, the rest so and so. For me , only Sad wings of destiny, Sin after sin and Painkiller are worth listening from start to end. The rest of the albums contain enough filler and some great songs. A best of compilation can come in handy for them.

Is it one of those important albums that just loses its luster if you have heard all the stuff that it inspired? It just sounded dated and a little thin. A full third of the album is absolute filler.

An excellent discussion point! I think this is the thought process a lot of people go through with "classic" bands and artists. This should be a discussion thread on it's own! Something along the lines of "Is a band/artist or album truly as great as the praise it gets, or are they/is it more of an inspiration for better things that followed"?

Honestly, there's no right answer (#MusicIsSubjective). But, for me, with British Steel specifically, it's more of the former than the latter. Hell, it's not even one of their best albums, IMO. But I would argue that it was inspiring for many bands who came later 🤷‍♂️ Again, great discussion point!

This is a fun one. Proggy Space Operas are always a favourite of mine.

Here's the album blurb: "The Signal Heard Throughout Space will be the full-length debut for drummer Dan Silver, and the band's first release with keyboardist Sean Gallagher. On the new album, PARIUS deftly combines the cohesive songwriting of bands like Mastodon and Opeth with the eccentricities of bands like Mr. Bungle and The Mars Volta. Produced with the illustrious and Grammy-nominated Jamie King, the record is a bona fide 60-minute rock opera more than twice as lengthy as 2018’s The Eldritch Realm."

Back