Metal!

If anyone here is even remotely interested in Death Metal make sure you check out this new Tomb Mold. This thing is next level, 20buckspin has a few colored variants still in stock on the mother site if you dig it as much as I have been. 🤘🏻
Sweet action! Thanks @Enaz Fox
Everyone in the thread should absolutely check it out as Enaz's recs are always top shelf!

If anyone here is even remotely interested in Death Metal make sure you check out this new Tomb Mold. This thing is next level, 20buckspin has a few colored variants still in stock on the mother site if you dig it as much as I have been. 🤘🏻
Missed the pre-order and my most wanted pressings were sold out immediately.
But I might go for one of the others - totally forgot to get a physical release after missing out.
Thanks for the reminder!

new TORCHE just ain't doing it for me yet.

Sounds like they're following the "formula" but there's something missing. The groove.

Sure ain't no "Barrier Hammer"s or "Tarpit Carnivore"s...

yeah "radio friendly" that never sounds good...

my own personal ranking:

8 s/t. only got cd copy which sounds horrid. is lp much of an upgrade?
7 Songs For Singles
6 Harmonicraft
5 Admission
4 split w\Part Chimp. only 3 songs but that's all it took to do the business
3 Meanderthal
2 In Return. an ep but some alltime munt here.
1 Restarter: recording sounds a bit shit but it has a stockholm syndrome quality to it. plus the songs. i have thrashed this thing to hell and back

I've seen this a few days ago and the description on the pre-order page reads just too good to be true.
Haven't checked out their first record yet.
Blind buy?
IMO yes! Their first album is a banger. It's loud and fuzzy, just like I like it. I would describe it like Windhand with a shoegaze/dream pop influence.

Here is my favorite song of theirs

Ok, @Goatfish @NoToneStraw and @Enaz Fox time for Progress Report #2 from The List

2/3rds of the way through and as stated previously I do try to listen to each album 3 times or so before giving judgment.

• Entombed - Clandestine - Similar review as Left Hand Path, the music is really great but I am just not a big fan of the vocalist specifically, I think that is what is keeping me from really loving these guys. 8/10
  • Massacre - From Beyond - First things first, this album cover is the shit. I could stare at that for hours. It seems like the mix on spotify is pretty bad, not sure if that is a recording issue or just a digital/spotify issue or a "that's what we are going for" issue. Singer sounds like he is vocals are being played backwards! Are there two vocals overdubbed? If so that really gives it a cool sinister feel. . Corpse Grinder has to be a top ten metal track name. 8/10
  • Obituary - Cause of Death - How great is Find The Arise? Overall it seems pretty standard death metal, but that may be due to the fact it was likely one of the first ones to define genre and then everyone started to sound like them as opposed to them sounding like everyone else if that makes sense. But Find the Arise *chefs kiss* Overall score 7.5/10 Find The Arise 10/10
  • Deicide - s/t - Ok you weren't kidding about these lyrics, but to be honest I couldn’t stop laughing. There is just something about over the top Satanic lyrics in this day and age that seem silly to me. However I have no doubt that back in 90 this was terrifying middle America. Now with that said, I loved it. There was just something about it that kept me coming back. 8.5/10
  • Bolt Thrower - War Master/Reign in Chaos - There was just something that didn’t click with these guys for me. I listened to both this and Reign in Chaos and it just wasn’t hitting home. Didn’t hate it, just didn’t love it. No discernible reason. 6.5/10
  • Nocnturnus - The Key - Gateway prog/death. Seems like this has just the right amount of prog to sucker in some unsuspecting Classic Death hold out, DM Dude "You know this keyboard isn't soo bad, kinda sounds like a horror movie sound effect", Nocturnus "Got Em!! Prog death fan now!" Really dug this 8.5/10

Thanks again for the great suggestions. This is really coming together. The last part of the list is all albums post 94 so it will be cool to see where all of those guys took these building blocks and what they did with it. Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion.

Ok, @Goatfish @NoToneStraw and @Enaz Fox time for Progress Report #2 from The List

2/3rds of the way through and as stated previously I do try to listen to each album 3 times or so before giving judgment.

• Entombed - Clandestine - Similar review as Left Hand Path, the music is really great but I am just not a big fan of the vocalist specifically, I think that is what is keeping me from really loving these guys. 8/10
  • Massacre - From Beyond - First things first, this album cover is the shit. I could stare at that for hours. It seems like the mix on spotify is pretty bad, not sure if that is a recording issue or just a digital/spotify issue or a "that's what we are going for" issue. Singer sounds like he is vocals are being played backwards! Are there two vocals overdubbed? If so that really gives it a cool sinister feel. . Corpse Grinder has to be a top ten metal track name. 8/10
  • Obituary - Cause of Death - How great is Find The Arise? Overall it seems pretty standard death metal, but that may be due to the fact it was likely one of the first ones to define genre and then everyone started to sound like them as opposed to them sounding like everyone else if that makes sense. But Find the Arise *chefs kiss* Overall score 7.5/10 Find The Arise 10/10
  • Deicide - s/t - Ok you weren't kidding about these lyrics, but to be honest I couldn’t stop laughing. There is just something about over the top Satanic lyrics in this day and age that seem silly to me. However I have no doubt that back in 90 this was terrifying middle America. Now with that said, I loved it. There was just something about it that kept me coming back. 8.5/10
  • Bolt Thrower - War Master/Reign in Chaos - There was just something that didn’t click with these guys for me. I listened to both this and Reign in Chaos and it just wasn’t hitting home. Didn’t hate it, just didn’t love it. No discernible reason. 6.5/10
  • Nocnturnus - The Key - Gateway prog/death. Seems like this has just the right amount of prog to sucker in some unsuspecting Classic Death hold out, DM Dude "You know this keyboard isn't soo bad, kinda sounds like a horror movie sound effect", Nocturnus "Got Em!! Prog death fan now!" Really dug this 8.5/10

Thanks again for the great suggestions. This is really coming together. The last part of the list is all albums post 94 so it will be cool to see where all of those guys took these building blocks and what they did with it. Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion.

This is awesome. Couple thoughts:

1. So right about Obituary. Solid ass old school clinic.
2. Agree about the lyrics for Deicide. Probably frightening 25+ Years ago but now the lyrics border on goofy. The vocal performance though - frightening. Glen Benton’s double tracking really took the demonic growls to another level.
3. You. Didn’t. Like. Bolt. Thrower?! LEAVE THE HALL!!!! Jk. But seriously?! The tasty riffs! One of my favorite meat and potatoes Death Metal acts. No punches pulled.

NEW BLACKWATER HOLYLIGHT

Pre-order
I've seen this a few days ago and the description on the pre-order page reads just too good to be true.
Haven't checked out their first record yet.
Blind buy?
Their first album is really great. The first track released on the new album did not grab me. They're a local band (Portland, OR) so I'll probably grab it eventually, but either on black vinyl or on CD, but I'll need to hear a few more tracks first. I'm worried this album might be a mess, so I'm gonna wait.

The Riding Easy web site quotes them as saying they took a year to record the first album, but a few weeks for the new one. They all had equal input into the songwriting so there's a lot of different musical styles that they mention, leading me to believe that this won't be a cohesive-sounding album. I want to hear more before I spend any money on it.

The Riding Easy order page is a mess for this album. It lists prices in the text for the different buying options, and those prices don't always match the prices in the drop-down menu. The text lists black vinyl for $16, but when you select that in the drop-down menu the price is $18, and if you order from the band's band camp page, the black vinyl is $20. It's a mess. For the moment, I'm gonna walk away from it.

EDIT TO ADD: If you want some metal from Portland, grab the debut album by Soul Grinder.

Their first album is really great. The first track released on the new album did not grab me. They're a local band (Portland, OR) so I'll probably grab it eventually, but either on black vinyl or on CD, but I'll need to hear a few more tracks first. I'm worried this album might be a mess, so I'm gonna wait.

The Riding Easy web site quotes them as saying they took a year to record the first album, but a few weeks for the new one. They all had equal input into the songwriting so there's a lot of different musical styles that they mention, leading me to believe that this won't be a cohesive-sounding album. I want to hear more before I spend any money on it.

The Riding Easy order page is a mess for this album. It lists prices in the text for the different buying options, and those prices don't always match the prices in the drop-down menu. The text lists black vinyl for $16, but when you select that in the drop-down menu the price is $18, and if you order from the band's band camp page, the black vinyl is $20. It's a mess. For the moment, I'm gonna walk away from it.

EDIT TO ADD: If you want some metal from Portland, grab the debut album by Soul Grinder.

I am digging the new Hippie Death Cult too while we are talking about heavy bands from Portland.

Witch Vomit I’ve already pre-ordered. Looks like they’ve reissued some new wax for Mare Cognitum and Falls of Rauros wasn’t bad.

Holy shit PDX is killing it.

Last edited:
This is awesome. Couple thoughts:

1. So right about Obituary. Solid ass old school clinic.
2. Agree about the lyrics for Deicide. Probably frightening 25+ Years ago but now the lyrics border on goofy. The vocal performance though - frightening. Glen Benton’s double tracking really took the demonic growls to another level.
3. You. Didn’t. Like. Bolt. Thrower?! LEAVE THE HALL!!!! Jk. But seriously?! The tasty riffs! One of my favorite meat and potatoes Death Metal acts. No punches pulled.
It’s cause he didn’t listen to IVth Crusade 😜

Back