Melancholic Music

I need melancholia in my music. Will watch this thread with interest. I know that in some of my hardest times I "feel" music so much more intensely. I find that sad/melancholic music supports my emotional state as opposed to bringing me down.

My kind of thread (hence my username)! Sometimes you just need to wallow, or to at least feel less alone in your sadness. When a song captures your feelings and makes you feel like you’re not the only one, it’s a gift.

Julien Baker

Oh yeah Julien Baker is a queen of melancholy. Appointments is stunning. It is one song that has that desperado Seinfeld ep effect on me if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah Julien Baker is a queen of melancholy. Appointments is stunning. It is one song that has that desperado Seinfeld ep effect on me if you know what I mean.

Indeed I do! Usually I’m alone, so I don’t need to shush anyone, lol.

(not a great pressing but I'm just pulling from my collection)

(a very important album for me)

All albums (and one song) that help me in sad times.

Last edited:
You might be interested in Adam Green. He's got a real sarcastic-kinda tone to him:

that was differnt
Mad world:

Original

Slowed down cover (Donnie Darko, anyone?)

I really like the Donnie Darko's versions

Carrie & Lowell is my go-to sad album

I heard the below on the radio today and it is disturbing how much it still resonates

maybe my favorite melancholic song

my favorite music and lyrics being the opposite of each other
https://youtu.be/ghb6eDopW8I

This interview is still absolutely worth reading if you're looking for backstory on A Crow Looked At Me

I listened to this album when it came out twice. It was stunning and really affected me like no album I’d ever listened to. I bought the vinyl immediately and never opened it. I recently sold it without ever spinning it. I just don’t think I need to hear it again tbh.

I love sad music though. I’ll blow up this thread for sure.

maybe my favorite melancholic song

I am preaching at my church on the 9th, it is Pentecost Sunday but the lectionary (we use) has a Romans passage so I chose this line as my focus verse "The very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words" I plan to use parts of Moment of Surrender in it as it has Pentecost-y stuff and sorrow

No melancholic music hurts my soul (in a good way) like Jason Molina. His music has helped me so much in the past, specifically the album Didn't It Rain. It's all even more harrowing knowing how it all ended up. The song of his that hits me the most is this one:

Back