May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 25: War! Huh! What Is It Good For? Absolutely Nothing At All! - The military industrial complex and the fetishisation of military and military personnel are really worrying for a pacifist like me. I see it all as a huge threats to the future of democracy. Play me anti war protest music or music by a pacifist or about pacifism.

17 year old me got to see Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band at the LA Coliseum in September 1985. HIs performance of War at that show stuck with me, especially it's pointedly political introduction and the reminder that "Blind faith in leaders can get you killed". Glad he included it on this collection.

Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band ~ Live/1975-85

1621956318882.png

Day 25: War! Huh! What Is It Good For? Absolutely Nothing At All!

The military industrial complex and the fetishisation of military and military personnel are really worrying for a pacifist like me. I see it all as a huge threats to the future of democracy.

Play me anti war protest music or music by a pacifist or about pacifism.

Well, I have to skip ahead to today, since I was about to mess up again and spin this for "Soul" day. lol

Birds Of Chicago ‎– Love In Wartime

PXL_20210525_154644305.jpg

The Jam - Beat Surrender 12”

Sadly The Jam went out on a bit of a whimper instead of a bang. If they just stopped at The Gift. Oh well.

They recorded 2 versions of War. The longer version was originally on the “Just Who is the 5 O’Clock Hero?” single and later on the Canadian version of The Bitterest Pill 12”. This is the short version. Sadly I find both versions rather limp compared to the total rave up you would expect from The Jam. Thankfully I have it on a couple of bootlegs from 81 and 82 with War on it that are much more powerful.
CCF1FE27-C24F-404D-BE60-BF0914AF13D1.jpeg

Day 23: Food

So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

Lou Reed - Blue Mask

PXL_20210525_221759606.jpg

PXL_20210525_224441485.jpg

I have to change my answer from Joe's poll for what to drink with pizza. I've come to enjoy red wine with my pizza, especially at home. When I'm out at a pizzeria restaurant, I'd probably still go for beer.

Day 23: Food

So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

Lou Reed - Blue Mask

View attachment 100592

View attachment 100593

I have to change my answer from Joe's poll for what to drink with pizza. I've come to enjoy red wine with my pizza, especially at home. When I'm out at a pizzeria restaurant, I'd probably still go for beer.
You cut your pizza with scissors?

Day 25: War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (or God's Pee?? as per the spine) - Allelujah Don't Bend Ascend (2012, Constellation)
PXL_20210526_045847310.jpg

These lovable punks that definitely have some feelings about the futility of war. The sentiment runs through so much of their liner notes, recordings and samples, it's impossible to approach the band without engaging in their worldview, for better or worse. For me it's definitely for the better. When Trump got elected and I had to trudge to work somehow my subway soundtrack was 'F#A#Infinity'. It felt absolutely right.

I've been lucky to see them twice, once during their initial run at an old basically unused lakeside ballroom, and another after they started up again at a Masonic Temple in Brooklyn.

I have the new album but haven't put in a lot of time with it. Tonight for some reason I pulled this one out instead. It's so good, sorta forgot just how brilliant and deceivingly simple but effective this album is. Mladic alone is beyond words. What a way to come back from a decade hiatus.

I also forgot that they did the 12" - 7" back and forth dance for proper sequencing on this release, as they do on the newest album as well.

The military industrial complex and the fetishisation of military and military personnel are really worrying for a pacifist like me. I see it all as a huge threats to the future of democracy

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
13177241-9A3B-44E7-A371-504106418EEF.jpeg

This album isn’t protest album but it’s opening track is one hell of a Protest Song, a biting takedown of The Bush Administration’s war machine.

Day 26: Black Lives Matter - No more needs saying.

ATO Records put this compilation out last year via Bandcamp w/ Bandcamp giving their proceeds to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, and ATO gave their proceeds to a number of BLM groups. Plus its a great collection of songs that make you think. Benjamin Booker, Brittany Howard, Drive~By Truckers, MMJ, Chicano Batman, Hurray for the Riff Raff & more.

Various Artists ~ Silence is not an Option - Turn This Up

1622047025511.png

Back