May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Y'all, I am torn.

I do have a least favorite album cover, but it is offensive to the point of wondering if it is worth even posting a cropped photo of the cover. I love the people here and don't want to risk triggering anyone.

Let's put it this way: it's a Scorpions album...and it's original cover is banned in the U.S.
You should post with a “Spoiler” tag. That will give the option to everyone if they feel comfortable viewing it or not.
Place NSFW Image here

Y'all, I am torn.

I do have a least favorite album cover, but it is offensive to the point of wondering if it is worth even posting a cropped photo of the cover. I love the people here and don't want to risk triggering anyone.

Let's put it this way: it's a Scorpions album...and it's original cover is banned in the U.S.
Lemme guess... does it have gum on the front cover?

DAY 27 - LEAST FAVORITE ALBUM COVER

I was going to use The Scorpion's Virgin Killer, of which I own an original import copy. I really mean it when I say this is my favorite album of theirs song for song, with some of the best performances... HOWEVER. To say that the album cover is bad is putting it lightly... It is in exceptionally poor taste and there is no way in the world anyone would ever be able to attempt to justify this one 40 something years later. And if you have seen the album cover, you know what I mean.

So, without further ado, here is another album that I am going to hide from my children until they are much, much older.

Unsane - Unsane.
IMG_20200527_225038.jpg

DAY 28 - AN ALBUM FULL OF HOPE
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
This may seem like an odd choice for this theme but I feel like this album is hopeful in the sense that it's the soundtrack to two people emerging from very dark points in their life telling themselves to stand strong in the face of adversity. I know Kanye is a controversial figure, but this album is easily his best work in a while and feels like one of the few genuine artistic statements he's given in recent years, bolstered by Kid Cudi's soul-bearing performances of course. Songs like "Reborn" and "Cudi Montage" with their mantras of "keep moving forward" and "stay strong" are reminders to themselves and the audience to not lose hope and try to maintain stability even when it seems almost impossible to.
20200525_235340.jpg

Day 28: An album that’s full of hope

After just having (for the first time and the Album of 2017 thread) streamed the very intense and impressive Mount Eerie "A crow looked at me" which is about death and loss, I had to think of the last song "No choir" on "High as hope" by Florence + the machine.

"But the loneliness never left me
I always took it with me
But I can put it down in the pleasure of your company
And there will be no grand choirs to sing
No chorus will come in
No ballad will be written
It will be entirely forgotten
And if tomorrow it's all over
At least we had it for a moment
Oh darling things seem so unstable
But for a moment we were able to be still"
❤️

Florence + the machine "High as hope"

IMG_20200528_074109.jpg

Last edited:
Y'all, I am torn.

Aargh virgin killer ....

Y'all, I am torn.

Best not to post that one.

chris-hansen-imgur-gif-to-catch-a-predator-meme-how-to-catch-a-predator-memes.jpg

Day 28 - An album that's full of hope

The Academy Is... ‎- Almost Here

Sparing you the details, I was a freshman at Virginia Tech in 2007 when the shootings occurred, knew some of the victims and was too close for comfort when everything went down. In the aftermath there were memorials put up and walls that allowed students and family to write messages on. For some reason these lyrics were the first thing that came to mind when I stopped to write on the wall: "Always up or down, never down and out". From that point forward those lyrics have always stuck with me, and they always provide hope. I spent some time with this album during that time because of it and this is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about hope in music. Not sure that the rest of the album is hopeful haha but those 8 words provided hope in a time when it was definitely needed.

Day 26 - Discogs Randomizer

Clutch - Clutch

Playing catch-up, as we visited a friend over the long weekend to at least try to pretend the world was semi-normal.

This one rolled up on Discogs Randomiz-o-tron and I couldn’t wait to get home and spin it. We drove to the gulf shore of Alabama and split the return trip up in Nashville, so this album really fits with the overall feeling of the weekend, musically. A crunchy, southern-fried, heavy stoner rock album with nautical and space themes throughout. Did you know that Space Camp is in Alabama? I did not, until I asked my friend why there was a life-sized Saturn 5 rocket on the side of I-65 when you enter the state.

Never look a merman in the eye!

also, ironic that this is one of my favorite covers, and next I have to choose one of my least...

0BD1D757-0E45-41EC-A601-3D787B52C5C0.png686DF311-7A46-4FB3-947C-93E6935CCED0.jpeg

I had never heard of this controversial album cover, so I looked it up.

Ho-ly shit. Yup, good choice to leave that one on the shelf. Just the google search probably put me on a list somewhere.

I grew up listening to the band and for years thought the photo of the band (which is on the back cover) was the real album cover.
Then, about ten years ago, I was scrolling through some "worst covers of all time" lists and imagine my surprise.
Shame too, because I stand by it being one of their best albums if not THE best.

Lemme guess... does it have
I had never heard of this controversial album cover, so I looked it up.

Ho-ly shit. Yup, good choice to leave that one on the shelf. Just the google search probably put me on a list somewhere.
same here , I have a six year old and don’t want that one anywhere near my search history .

Day 27: Least Favorite Album Cover

View attachment 49212

Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door

Funny, I never thought of the paper bag as the cover. I actually quite like the artwork underneath.

Y'all, I am torn.

Thank you for not posting it.

I’m going to do another twofer. This here is my least favorite album cover:

AD88EC7E-1F18-40EF-9CB6-7DE9F0FD5E4D.jpeg

Unfortunately I wasn’t in the mood to listen to the album, so instead I picked my second least-favorite album cover, St. Vincent’s Masseduction:

A3EEC093-65E2-406B-B6AD-9B8B783F3A96.jpeg

Glad we can now move on to Day 28!

Last edited:
Back