May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Thats my very favourite album of all time ❤. What I love about it is that it’s pretty much a pure burst of creativity. For me when it hits few bands have been that effortlessly brilliant, even some songs thst might be deemed “throwaway” or “insignificant” are inspired. That said, when it misses (Revolution #9 and obla fucking di - obla fucking da) it also misses quite hard too 😂
I love Obla di Obla da! And Revolution 9 it seems like I catch something new in it every time I listen. Im sure it was more "revolutionary" back in '68 though.

Day 16: Play a long album (aim for over 60 minutes)

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists

So the Manics were a funny old proposition. A bunch of precocious young lads from post industrial coal belt South Wales. They wanted to be the new Clash by combining Marxist politics with the righteous indignation of Public Enemy set to the music of Guns N Roses whilst aiming to ape the Sex Pistols by releasing one perfect album and imploding.

As a result this album is a bloated (almost 80 mins long) mess that is sometimes brilliant, sometimes mediocre, sometimes cringeworthy but always vital, thrilling, angry and brimming with ideas. That’s half the problem they always had too many ideas and too much to say to ever only make one album. Suffice to say that 28 years on from 1992 the 3 remaining members are still together having released their 13th studio album early last year.

3A3C1D03-DEF4-4862-A2CA-60B981919D5A.jpeg04ECD44F-B9FF-4740-9432-CF5B2FCEFEAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 16 : Play a long album
Tori Amos - Boys For Pele (1996)

IMG_20200516_114033_730.jpg

It's 70 minutes long but it feels like three or four hours, not because it's boring (that's the last adjective you can use with this album) but because it's such an inmersive experience that time seems to be slower. The story of a woman that learns how to love herself and fuck patriarchy at the same time, it's a long road but it's a fascinating trip. Twenty years later, there are not a lot of albums that sound like this reaffirming chaos.

Day 15 - Humorous

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks - Original Recordings

I love Dan Hicks. He had that ability to add witticism and and sometimes even humor into his beautifully written and played material.
He is missed.

DH.jpg

Excerpt from 'How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?

Your never ending presence really cramps my style
I dream that it won't always be the same
At first I was attracted but after a while
Have you ever heard of the hard-to-get game?

How can I miss you when you won't go away?
I keep telling you day after day
But you won't listen, you always stay and stay
How can I miss you when you won't go away?
And I mean it, too

Day 16: Play A Long Album

Tim Maia - Nobody Can Live Forever (The Existential Soul Of Tim Maia) (Luaka Bop, 2012 First Pressing)

Seeing @Poly-Rythmo posting a Luaka Bop compilation gave me the idea to do the same! I have gone with the fantastic Tim Maia compilation which clocks in at over an hour. Maia was a Brazilian sensation and his personal life was just crazy. Some of my favourite songs of his comes from his time with the Rational Culture religion which, amongst other things, saw him and his band paint all their instruments white, wear white clothes, and stand in a field playing to attract aliens......no joke. The opening track on this comp, Que Belesa, is just a powerhouse of funk. I GUARANTEE the first time you hear it you will be blown away, its insane.

IMG_6987.JPG

Day 15: An album that makes you laugh

Classic Bruce Willis smirk....

View attachment 47208

The owner of one of my local record shops tries to sell me that album every time I walk in ..I’m sure he’s on a bet to see if he can shift it ...I wait flipping in fear for him to saddle up to me and go..”Did you know Bruce Willis made an album ...”

Back