May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 12: FOMO buy you haven’t spun in awhile
Gang Of Youths - Go Farther In Lightness (2017)

IMG_20200513_125252_267.jpg

This was pure FOMO but I don't regret it at all.
I don't listen to it very often only because I can't. It's emotionally devastating. I can't listen to this without crying -you have no idea how much I cried listening to it today for this challenge.
I've tried not paying attention to the lyrics, but the singer's voice and performance it's so emotional I can't help sobbing.
But it's an amazing album, the color in color is gorgeous. As much as I despise VoldeMortP, I have to thank them for introducing me to this band.

Day 13 - An album that feels conversational
Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998)

IMG_20200513_131717.jpg

I said, "Do you believe we are fundamentally judgemental? Fundamentally evil?", and you said, "Yes". I said, "I don't believe in revenge; in right or wrong; good or bad", and you said, "Well, what about the man that I saw handcuffed in the emergency room, bleeding after beating his kid, and she threw a shoe at his head? And I think what he did was wrong and I would've had a hard time feeling compassion for him".

In most of the songs of this album, she is trying to have a conversation with somebody. There's even a song that is just five letters.
And there's this song, that is literally a conversation between Alanis and a friend/lover and it's one of her best songs ever.

Day 13: An album that feels conversational
The Hold Steady - ...Almost Killed Me
C62A7A4B-AB80-47A9-B200-32B26656994C.jpeg

Craig Finn ongoing fables about his fellow Midwestern lowlifes and weirdos feels like the guy who pulled up the barstool next to ya and attempts to have a conversation by shouting over the jukebox in the corner that is turned up a bit too loud.

Last edited:
Day 13: An album that feels conversational

About 5 years ago, I was in a pretty solid cycle of listening to Pearl Jam / Dylan / Neil Young era albums, and not expanding my horizons too much First day of 3rd grade for my daughter, she met a new friend at school. Got to meet her parents, and we started to bond over music, and introduce albums to each other, a conversation we have that continues to this day.

This was the first album they introduced me to, and specifically had a great conversation around the track Coffee. Not something I would have searched out independently at the time, but has grown to be one of my favorites - and a fantastic live show as well.

Sylvan Esso ~ Sylvan Esso

IMG_7148.jpg

DAY 13 - It’s a conversation

63EADC4D-0737-4513-8854-A8325D2952B0.jpeg

R.E.M.'s Monster is as loved as it is derided, possibly their most divisive album.
So when it was reissued with a second LP of a COMPLETELY different mix, I had to have it. I was keen to hear an album I love so much in a new way.
And, interestingly, so were a lot of my friends. Facebook threads, text messages, e-mails, phone calls, video chats of playing "spot the difference" from song to song.
Proof positive that there are still people who pay attention to what they are hearing and that it's not background noise.
Music DOES matter... even if they removed the fucking tremolo from "What's The Frequency Kenneth" which still bugs the shit out of me... WHY WOULD YOU REMOVE A HOOK???

Playing my own spot the difference today to see if I missed anything since the last time.

Day 12: FOMO

This was an exclusive pressing available early on in TMR Vault (2010?). There were only supposed to be 300 of these peach scented/marbled vinylssss. The website crashed and it was bonkers. I wasted like an hour at work trying to secure my copy. They had to make the pressing larger to accommodate everyone.

I don’t listen to this very often. I’ve had it for 10 years and the scent is gone because records are meant to be opened and listened to.

Karen Elson - The Ghost Who Walks

F4B877B1-854D-4D98-8830-B5E61228D555.jpeg

Day 8 (Catch Up): Album that reminds you of flowers
Tyler The Creator: Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Album cover aside, I saw Tyler at a music festival and his backdrop was gigantic sunflowers so flowers remind me of him now.

View attachment 46629

I think this was already played for this day by another member.

Okay, playing some catch-up...

Day 7: Latest purchase

Charly Bliss - Supermoon EP
2020-05-13 12.34.25 1.jpg

Day 8: An Album that makes you think of flowers

Haley Heynderickx - I Need to Start a Garden

I came across this while looking for the record I thought I'd use for this theme, and was like "ooh, even better!"
2020-05-13 12.34.07 1.jpg

Back