Magnet Magazine's Top 60 Albums, 1993-2003

I've listened to that DJ Shadow a ton in the last year. Never heard it before then somehow. It's perfect for wandering the neighborhood during this weird time. Really love it.

I love the Mercury Rev, White Stripes, and Flaming Lips records. All big during that time. Appreciate the R.E.M. more now then I did, some great tracks there.

Updated the playlist again.

I love Entroducing... so much. Way too low on this list — I would move it up to the top five.

If you haven’t seen it, give Doug Pray’s Scratch a viewing sometime soon. Great documentary about turntablism and DJ Shadow is an interesting part of the story.

I love Entroducing... so much. Way too low on this list — I would move it up to the top five.

If you haven’t seen it, give Doug Pray’s Scratch a viewing sometime soon. Great documentary about turntablism and DJ Shadow is an interesting part of the story.
I'll take a look, thanks!

Others beat me to it. That ten was all white dudes.

I'm getting sick of myself even for having to say that so often. Lol.

And to be clear, i do enjoy a great deal of these white dude albums. I just wish there was more diversity.

Keep in mind when the list was written too.

Spoiler alert: Hole is not in the top 15. ;)

OK, not too much discussion or controversy about the last 10 so here are the next 10. I'll be honest -- with a few exceptions, I don't have a lot of love for this 10, although I owe 69 Love Songs, Horse Stories and Deserter's Songs fresh listens. Thoughts/comments?

View attachment 48331

This, to me, is the weakest ten so far. But maybe because I am NOT a Weezer or Flaming Lips fan. That REM is maybe the last of the albums I enjoyed of theirs but not even in my top 4 of theirs. I love the DJ Shadow, that's too low. Way too low. The Strokes might also be too low for me. I did love Play when it came out. I just don't think it aged well (or maybe we all just caught up with what a twit Moby is). Magnetic Fields is quite good.

I just yesterday heard of Dirty Three. I was listening to a band called Xylouris White and saw that the drummer was from Dirty Three. Xylouris White is this wild mix of indie and greek folk. It somehow works really well.

I fuvking love that album so much. It is a top 5 fave of all time for me.

I have said before i think in the previous place that if i could build a dream band, she would be my lead singer.

I listened to Live Through This again and, while solid, it doesn't come anywhere near a top-60 decade list for me. Solid songwriting but her voice is problematic for me. There's an art to screaming and IMO she doesn't have it.

Before posting the top 15, I was considering making it into a modest guessing contest but wanted to get a feel for how many would participate. Would only want to do it if a minimum of 10 or so participate.

Contest rules would be to DM me your guesses for the top five records of the list in ranked order, and the member who guessed the most titles from the top five would get a $10 (or equivalent in their local currency) gift card to their favorite online retailer. Tiebreakers would be, in order, (1) guessed the correct #1 record, and (2) guess with the highest weighted average (#1=five points #2=four points, etc.).

The contest would be not as fun if only few readers did it so please sound off if you would participate. If not much interest, no offense taken and I'll unveil the next 10.

I listened to Live Through This again and, while solid, it doesn't come anywhere near a top-60 decade list for me. Solid songwriting but her voice is problematic for me. There's an art to screaming and IMO she doesn't have it.

Before posting the top 15, I was considering making it into a modest guessing contest but wanted to get a feel for how many would participate. Would only want to do it if a minimum of 10 or so participate.

Contest rules would be to DM me your guesses for the top five records of the list in ranked order, and the member who guessed the most titles from the top five would get a $10 (or equivalent in their local currency) gift card to their favorite online retailer. Tiebreakers would be, in order, (1) guessed the correct #1 record, and (2) guess with the highest weighted average (#1=five points #2=four points, etc.).

The contest would be not as fun if only few readers did it so please sound off if you would participate. If not much interest, no offense taken and I'll unveil the next 10.
I love her voice. Lol. Music is so great. Something for everyone!

I'd be down for a friendly contest.

Very generous of you @dropsonde

I am terrible at guessing but willing to jump in. IF I win please just donate my cash winnings to a local charity or organization of your choice.

My memory is so bad I need to go back over the list to remind myself. Also, maybe give a 1/2 point if the artist is right but not the album?

Good idea with the guesses, but I've gotta drop out. I've already looked at the complete list.

Yeah I was kind of afraid of that. I’m impressed you found it online, unless it’s somewhere obvious and I’m an amateur Web searcher! Hopefully no one else is peeking so the reveal is still interesting.

Yeah I was kind of afraid of that. I’m impressed you found it online, unless it’s somewhere obvious and I’m an amateur Web searcher! Hopefully no one else is peeking so the reveal is still interesting.
Yeah, I found it pretty quick...but won't give up my technique :)

Back