The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Was listing to this the other day while struggling to put together some fiberboard furniture and had some thoughts. It must be weird putting together a piece of art like this.

Listening to music like this is a emotional experience and you have to assume the motivations to create it was to express his experiences of loss.

But the creation of it must have been arduous and to move forward in any way he must have had to remove himself from those emotions to put the pieces together. How do you do that? Does it just happen naturally. When do you choose to get lost in the moment or pull back to get a bigger picture of the narrative you are creating.

I wonder what he thinks about the experience of creating this album when he looks back on it?

I really liked this album. Never heard about this band, but this is a great album im curious about the rest of their work. It is indeed an album to pay attention to lyrics, so I can see myself buying the vinyl and playing the album while reading the lyrics.
The first half is better than the second one; it kind of get slow after "Mansion", but I guess it has to do with the concept. The voice of the girl is the only thing I'm not fond of; it sounds too clear and pure and "nice" with the rest of what's happening. Funny, because I usually prefer women's vocals.
A great 9/10 for me. I hope I can find the gold version of this album.

This feels a bit cheeky after my going on about minimalism the other day, but heck, let’s embrace contradiction.

Pom Poko - Birthday

At first glance, Norwegian band Pom Poko seem to exist squarely on the same conservatory-trained jazz-baby art rock spectrum as Deerhoof, the venerable San Francisco quartet many of whose distinguishing attributes—manic energy, structural experimentation, child-like melodies, sugary vocals—Pom Poko lifts wholesale. But if the recipe seems familiar, changing ingredients makes for a different cake.

Where the engine of Deerhoof’s anarchic sound is fueled, or at least catalyzed, by the band’s distinctive East/West dynamic, instead the Norwegians bring a little rakfisk to the party, a particular, defiant Viking weirdness that permeates the songwriting and imbues the lyrics with an outsider sensibility. Frontwoman Ragnhild Fangel chirps about love, loneliness, tanuki warfare, breast milk and her own feelings of otherness, her sardonic voice and gentle falsetto floating atop a shifting current of glittering guitar and flailing rhythm courtesy of band mates Martin Miguel Tonne (guitar), Jonas Krøvel (bass) and Ola Djupvik (drums). The end result, then, is very much its own thing, at turns lovely, noisy, sweet, and strange. Sometimes all four at once. For someone like me, it’s like finding a favorite food in a flavor I never knew existed.

I hope you, too, find something here to enjoy.

Last edited:
This feels a bit cheeky after my going on about minimalism the other day, but heck, let’s embrace contradiction.

Pom Poko - Birthday

View attachment 8291

At first glance, Norwegian band Pom Poko seem to exist squarely on the same conservatory-trained jazz-baby art rock spectrum as Deerhoof, the venerable San Francisco quartet many of whose distinguishing attributes—manic energy, structural experimentation, child-like melodies, sugary vocals—Pom Poko lifts wholesale. But if the recipe seems familiar, changing ingredients makes for a different cake.

Where the engine of Deerhoof’s anarchic sound is fueled, or at least catalyzed, by the band’s distinctive East/West dynamic, instead the Norwegians bring a little rakfisk to the party, a particular, defiant Viking weirdness that permeates the songwriting and imbues the lyrics with a outsider sensibility. Frontwoman Ragnhild Fangel chirps about love, loneliness, tanuki warfare, breast milk and her own feelings of otherness, her sardonic voice and gentle falsetto floating atop a shifting current of glittering guitar and flailing rhythm courtesy of band mates Martin Miguel Tonne (guitar), Jonas Krøvel (bass) and Ola Djupvik (drums). The end result, then, is very much its own thing, at turns lovely, noisy, sweet, and strange. Sometimes all four at once. For someone like me, it’s like finding a favorite food in a flavor I never knew existed.

I hope you, too, find something here to enjoy.

Where is this rant about minimalism?

A little late ~ Typhoon: Offerings

This is going to be the most painful thing I lose, I wonder what it is

I love a good glockenspiel accompanied with a violin and some groovy guitar work, so I am excited to listen to this album, haven't heard of this band nor album before so here we go:

Favorite Song: Empiricist

Started off very intrigued, a slow build up, a gentle guitar riff turns into an orchestral explosion.

Has some Manchester Orchestra feels, I love how they incorporate the violin and glockenspiel into their songs, gorgeous breakdowns, i think the biggest weakness this album faces is that the guitar is a bit underwhelming in too many songs, and the fact that many songs have a similar start/ending kind of dampen the experience. Overall I enjoyed the lyrics and his voice was solid.

Will certainly look into more of their discography and see how they grew to get to this point.

Overall: 7.5/10

@Bohnjaggs I noticed you post a Spotify link for each of these. What if it's not on Spotify? Would we have to pick something different?

For the most part, yeah ... One of the requirements is that people need to be able to listen to the album without having to purchase it. We've had that happen at least once (with Herman Dune I believe) where the first choice was not streaming anywhere.

Last edited:
Back