Listening Club: Like Drawing Blood by Gotye

Dark Star Boogie

Disclaimer: I feel weird selecting an album for this thread since I’ve been sort of inactive in here (although I do check out most of the albums), so sorry to all for seemingly ignoring this thread. I appreciate all of your recommendations.

This week’s listening selection will be—

The Bees - Octopus

Released on March 26, 2007 this album, or this band for that matter, isn’t really known by a lot of musical folks I’ve encountered in my daily life. I’ve met one person who’s known them. So hopefully this will be new and fresh for a majority of you.

Genre wise I’d classify it as psychedelic rock with that 60’s/70’s tint to it although they draw from other genres for inspiration—reggae, electronic, etc.

They’re from the UK and honestly I don’t know much about them other than that they are multi-instrumentalists. Not even sure they are a band anymore.

They have three other albums, and I would have choose Sunshine Hit Me, their first album, if it were on Spotify although I think Octopus is their best album.

Free The Bees, their second album, is much more straight forward rock, while their last album, Every Step’s A Yes, is more acoustic in tone.

Anywho, enjoy! I think this album will have at least one or two songs everyone can find extremely enjoyable.

Cheers!

gaporter

Disclaimer: I feel weird selecting an album for this thread since I’ve been sort of inactive in here (although I do check out most of the albums), so sorry to all for seemingly ignoring this thread. I appreciate all of your recommendations.

The Bees - Octopus

Released on March 26, 2007 this album, or this band for that matter, isn’t really known by a lot of musical folks I’ve encountered in my daily life. I’ve met one person who’s known them. So hopefully this will be new and fresh for a majority of you.

Genre wise I’d classify it as psychedelic rock with that 60’s/70’s tint to it although they draw from other genres for inspiration—reggae, electronic, etc.

They’re from the UK and honestly I don’t know much about them other than that they are multi-instrumentalists. Not even sure they are a band anymore.

They have three other albums, and I would have choose Sunshine Hit Me, their first album, if it were on Spotify although I think Octopus is their best album.

Free The Bees, their second album, is much more straight forward rock, while their last album, Every Step’s A Yes, is more acoustic in tone.

Anywho, enjoy! I think this album will have at least one or two songs everyone can find extremely enjoyable.

Cheers!
I've only heard of the Bees because back in the day some sites had this Gorillaz song labelled as featuring them, and I never was able to quite figure out how accurate that was
Regardless, excited to check this out (y)

mcherry

🥑
Admin

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!
The Bees are awesome. Great pick.

Gavaxeman

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!

Good choice .. I’m sure the Bees have also backed up a few artists too...

Bohnjaggs

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!
I've played Listening Man in the JQBX room before ... Great choice. I'm just starting work but I'll have the thread fully updated tonight.

Teeeee

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!
I've never heard of them. But I'm on the first album and this is fun! I am going to enjoy this, I can tell already.

Poly-Rythmo

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!
I love Sunshine Hit Me, such a great diverse album. Not sure I ever checked out Octopus much so will have to do that.

Alexander

The Creator

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!

Matt M

The Bees - Octopus

Cheers!
I love the Bees. Wash In The Rain may be the best song of all time.