The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

🤔

Maybe. It's better than nothing I suppose. It's not the easiest to listen to (especially on a phone) but the album would at least be available to those who want to check it out.

How does everybody else feel about this?
As long as the youtube link is provided so that I'm not searching through a gazillion youtube videos of the same thing but in varying degrees of quality, I'm all for it!

🤔

Maybe. It's better than nothing I suppose. It's not the easiest to listen to (especially on a phone) but the album would at least be available to those who want to check it out.

How does everybody else feel about this?
Certain albums are uploaded in their entirety in a single video. Hopefully that'll be the case

This should be interesting.

I was originally going to pick something confrontational (Half Japanese's Greatest Hits), something I am way too close to for me to hear bad things about (Yo La Tengo's Electr-O-Pura, Sonic Youth's Confusion Is Sex), an album that is a sonic anomaly in a band's discography (R.E.M.'s Up), or an album that is far less appreciated or known by a band or artist that has otherwise attained popularity (Tom Tom Club's Close To The Bone, Jeff Buckley's My Sweetheart The Drunk).

I have since decided that, while all of those are amazing albums, I would try a different approach for my first time picking for this group. I looked through all my records, CD's, and cassettes, and asked myself this question: what have I played for people before that they had literally no idea ever existed, and wanted more of it? It sounds easy in theory, but it's not:

Can't pick something like Captain Beefheart because, even though someone may never have heard Safe As Milk (or for that matter any other album), they have definitely heard of the man and may be aware of his place in the history of popular music.

Can't pick Sandbox by Guided By Voices because they are too well-known, even if that album isn't instantly identifiable. Same with R.E.M.'s Up, as just hearing that band's name is enough to turn some people off, nevermind the fact that Up is divisive among their fans.

Can't pick We Started Blues by Fake Babies because I don't know if any of their music was known outside of Connecticut. Although, reading that now, that probably is exactly why I should have considered it... maybe next time!

The album I chose is by a band that only made one album when they existed, 20 years ago. It was released through File 13 Records, a very small label out of Florida. No one I have ever played it for had any idea that it existed. Truth be told, even the store I bought it from had no idea it existed. I asked the clerk if he had heard it, and the clerk asked the other people in the store, and the consensus was: “I don't have any idea what this is, I didn't even know we had this.”

That memory was enough for me.

Presenting my album of the week:

ANTARCTICA'S 81:03.

From File 13's Antarctica page:

“Antarctica has found atmosphere. "81:03" (FT29), etches their drifts through scopes of textured electronic tones, progressive arrangements of lush melody and dynamic harmonies, and the fervor of their live performance. After taking to the road for a national summer tour in 1998 in support of the "23:03" CDEP (FT25), the band secluded themselves for seven months of elaborating their musical reveries. Their departure from live performance melded with their immersion into the vast world of NYC electronic culture has provided a substantial piece of "81:03"'s backbone.
Enlisting Alap Momin (Dalek, The Lapse) to engineer and produce their full-length was an incisive means for capturing their electronic wanderings as well as their intense rock prowess. "81:03" captures the essence of both of these worlds in 11 songs and over 80 minutes of music, as the title implies. The electronic quotient of the double album draws from both the swooning syncopated pop of New Order and the deep hypnotics of Underworld. Ripe with these elements and other organic beats and tones, "81:03" also displays fragments of Antarctica's indie heritage both in its driving presence and traditional pop structure. Shoegazing guitar glides, Bonham-esque drums, prodding bass and keyboard riffs, and refined harmonies help satiate the ambiance that Antarctica sets forth to create.”

In short, this album is a perfect merging of post-punk, electronica, and dream pop.

If you are a fan of Orbital, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Felt, Underworld, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure, or Christie Front Drive (the band the singer was in previous to Antarctica), or would like to hear what all of that sounds like at the same time, I truly hope you enjoy this album!

Note for anyone who goes looking for a copy: it was never pressed to vinyl. There was some talk about someone doing it about 10 or 11 years ago, but it never happened. I got the impression that there wasn't a ton of faith that it would sell 500 copies.

Really digging Antarctica. I’m a big fan of the more electronic acts you listed. Those are good references here. I did t quite get through CD2 but this one is going into rotation for sure. I would swear ive heard a couple of these songs. I presume they ended up on some compilations over the years or something.

Back