Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Are those Maggies?
LRS's, and I actually almost bought the new LRS+ a few months back, and Magnapan just ended up pissing me off so I didn't go through with it. Long story short, the LRSs needed to be purchased from one of their local vendors in my area, which was fine, but it wasn't a store, it was just an email they gave me to contact them. So I did, didn't hear back for like 10 days so I reached back out to Magnapan and told them that I wasn't hearing back from anyone. They told me to try again, "They're very good at getting back to customers"..........ok, so I tried again, once again a week and half went by with nothing, so I sent a response to my email asking "Any update on this request", to this day, no response.

So as much as I really liked the Maggies and was actually considering going up the ladder at one point, fuck em.

As an example, would you be able to pause a multiplayer game like Halo and run around and kill a bunch of folks and then unpause and make me mad?
Memories
light the corners of my mind...

teabag-halo.gif

So here's my 2nd system down in my corner of the basement. Details in signature, except for the Nakamichi tape deck. Everything was purchased used. The Freya+ is the new addition.

The room was a cinder block walled, concrete floor echo chamber. I added heavy curtains, rugs, a couple soft chairs and a little sound absorption, and now everything sounds great.I'm down here at least two evenings a week, when my kids watch some movie for the umpteenth time.

20231009_103255.jpg20231009_104138.jpg20231009_104825.jpg20231009_104635.jpg

So here's my 2nd system down in my corner of the basement. Details in signature, except for the Nakamichi tape deck. Everything was purchased used. The Freya+ is the new addition.

The room was a cinder block walled, concrete floor echo chamber. I added heavy curtains, rugs, a couple soft chairs and a little sound absorption, and now everything sounds great.I'm down here at least two evenings a week, when my kids watch some movie for the umpteenth time.

View attachment 184239View attachment 184240View attachment 184243View attachment 184242

Nice! How do you like the Freya? That one has always had me a little curious!

Nice! How do you like the Freya? That one has always had me a little curious!
So far so good. It replaced an Aric Audio tube preamp, which was awesome, but it didn't have a remote.

Aric's stuff is all point to point wired and tube rectified, so that preamp brought more tubey space depth and some euphonics to the mix than the Freya does.

The Freya brings me a remote, but also WAY more soundstage width than I've ever had down here. Been streaming Nicholas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise album @Mather brought up in the Definitive Pressings thread, and the uncanny valley realness of it's production has me a little jumpy, tbh.

Now that you have me analyzing it, I'm noticing it also more specifically places instruments in the soundstage. With the Aric, the tom drum would be off to the left or whatever. With the Freya its 3 feet left of center, 5 feet off the ground, occupying a 1 foot circle of space.

So yeah, it's pretty great!

So far so good. It replaced an Aric Audio tube preamp, which was awesome, but it didn't have a remote.

Aric's stuff is all point to point wired and tube rectified, so that preamp brought more tubey space depth and some euphonics to the mix than the Freya does.

The Freya brings me a remote, but also WAY more soundstage width than I've ever had down here. Been streaming Nicholas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise album @Mather brought up in the Definitive Pressings thread, and the uncanny valley realness of it's production has me a little jumpy, tbh.

Now that you have me analyzing it, I'm noticing it also more specifically places instruments in the soundstage. With the Aric, the tom drum would be off to the left or whatever. With the Freya its 3 feet left of center, 5 feet off the ground, occupying a 1 foot circle of space.

So yeah, it's pretty great!

I keep toying with replacing my PS Audio with one eventually, I think it’d be a really nice match for my PrimaLuna. The problem is that I have CD and Streaming Transports so I’d have to get a DAC too lol!

I keep toying with replacing my PS Audio with one eventually, I think it’d be a really nice match for my PrimaLuna. The problem is that I have CD and Streaming Transports so I’d have to get a DAC too lol!
Could you use the Gain Cell as a standalone DAC? Or is that getting sold to fund a potential Freya purchase?

Could you use the Gain Cell as a standalone DAC? Or is that getting sold to fund a potential Freya purchase?

Thinking of it, I could actually, either that or it’d be sold/traded in to fund the standalone DAC!

This is likely a fair way off and just curious thoughts though, I am very happy with where my system is at and have spent way too much on gear the last few years!

Last edited:
Back