Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Strange times chez Selley today as the Vertere gets to meet its Dad;

Vertere is owned by Touraj Moghaddam who is responsible for the bulk of the design work at the company. Before Vertere, Moghaddam was a co-founder of Roksan where he designed the Xerxes turntable. Because the hifi industry is fundamentally odd, even though he no longer has anything to do with Roksan, you can still buy a Xerxes, brand new and continuously updated since 1985. I didn’t think I’d ever have a work reason to have both side by side but it’s managed to happen.

IMG20230524162257

The two turntables follow the same basic pattern. They’re belt driven (the motor of the Xerxes is under the platter and acts on a sub platter whereas the Vertere sits it outside to act on the outer edge of the single piece platter) and use a series of rubber domes to split the main plinth and decouple an inner subchassis. Both sit on three feet and use a unipivot type arm. They are both designed to have the spindle pull off once the record is on the platter to help with decoupling and both have a slot in the plinth to hold it; although it’s magnetised on the Vertere. Both have external PSUs but the ‘VSC2’ on the Xerxes is a combined PSU and phono stage which is good idea. You get a lid as standard too which you don’t on the Vertere.

r/audiophile - Vertere PSU is much smaller, Xerxes one includes phono too.

Some parts of the Roksan are much more annoying though. This afternoon’s exertions have confirmed that it is an order of magnitude harder than the Vertere to get up and running and the weird ‘tags on cables’ on the Shiraz cartridge are a warcrime. The Mystic cart on the Vertere is rather more confidence inspiring as is the SG-1 arm, which even though it’s a unipivot, doesn’t need to run the lead out cable out the top either. On the other hand, I do think that the Roksan is prettier; one of the most proportionally perfect turntables you can buy in fact.

IMG20230524163124

I’m not saying that Roksan is taking this quite seriously but the original spec for the review sample was supposed to be XPS8 PSU, Nima arm and an MM cart before someone let slip that I own a Vertere. As such, what has actually shown up has a Sara arm, Shiraz cart and VSC2 PSU and is yours for a robust £12,990. This afternoon’s exertions have confirmed that it is an order of magnitude harder than the Vertere to get up and running and the weird ‘tags on cables’ on the Shiraz are a warcrime. Anyway, it's in and running and it should be an entertaining session.

Strange times chez Selley today as the Vertere gets to meet its Dad;

Vertere is owned by Touraj Moghaddam who is responsible for the bulk of the design work at the company. Before Vertere, Moghaddam was a co-founder of Roksan where he designed the Xerxes turntable. Because the hifi industry is fundamentally odd, even though he no longer has anything to do with Roksan, you can still buy a Xerxes, brand new and continuously updated since 1985. I didn’t think I’d ever have a work reason to have both side by side but it’s managed to happen.

IMG20230524162257

The two turntables follow the same basic pattern. They’re belt driven (the motor of the Xerxes is under the platter and acts on a sub platter whereas the Vertere sits it outside to act on the outer edge of the single piece platter) and use a series of rubber domes to split the main plinth and decouple an inner subchassis. Both sit on three feet and use a unipivot type arm. They are both designed to have the spindle pull off once the record is on the platter to help with decoupling and both have a slot in the plinth to hold it; although it’s magnetised on the Vertere. Both have external PSUs but the ‘VSC2’ on the Xerxes is a combined PSU and phono stage which is good idea. You get a lid as standard too which you don’t on the Vertere.

r/audiophile - Vertere PSU is much smaller, Xerxes one includes phono too.

Some parts of the Roksan are much more annoying though. This afternoon’s exertions have confirmed that it is an order of magnitude harder than the Vertere to get up and running and the weird ‘tags on cables’ on the Shiraz cartridge are a warcrime. The Mystic cart on the Vertere is rather more confidence inspiring as is the SG-1 arm, which even though it’s a unipivot, doesn’t need to run the lead out cable out the top either. On the other hand, I do think that the Roksan is prettier; one of the most proportionally perfect turntables you can buy in fact.

IMG20230524163124

I’m not saying that Roksan is taking this quite seriously but the original spec for the review sample was supposed to be XPS8 PSU, Nima arm and an MM cart before someone let slip that I own a Vertere. As such, what has actually shown up has a Sara arm, Shiraz cart and VSC2 PSU and is yours for a robust £12,990. This afternoon’s exertions have confirmed that it is an order of magnitude harder than the Vertere to get up and running and the weird ‘tags on cables’ on the Shiraz are a warcrime. Anyway, it's in and running and it should be an entertaining session.
Good to see you pop in, Ed, and to see you spinning the Shamen!

Are you using the phono built into the NAD?
for now. I had a pluto. I think this is a step better, but have not a+b'd them (it is for sure not worse). Next will be the mdc card and then a sacd player. It will be a while before I get a preamp. Thinking about tubes. SACD will be a factor in whether or not this is a player in my end stage system. So far, I really like it.

How do you set VTF? Do you set VTF?!

I’d be worried about that conical stylus digging deep into the groove. But, I’m the type to worry about such things.
I think that thing looks cool and really is cool, but it gives me the fucking willies. It would be handy in like one of them unorganized back room shop places some of the folks around here seem to know about...

for now. I had a pluto. I think this is a step better, but have not a+b'd them (it is for sure not worse). Next will be the mdc card and then a sacd player. It will be a while before I get a preamp. Thinking about tubes. SACD will be a factor in whether or not this is a player in my end stage system. So far, I really like it.
futher details on this... the specs on the NAD are slightly better, but the reviews show better performance then on the spec sheet. So I assume it is just better and I won't a-b it because I don't know what I did with the other set of (cheap) RCAs I had and fuck all that anyhow.... I'm not gonna run this thing forever. Everything is better, crisper, better imaged, beefier, I don't know if I've come even close to top volume yet and certainly don't really need to find out given how loud I got it this morning. Only thing to do now is let my daughter have a run with the pluto if she'd like. Otherwise, I might PIF it, I don't know. I can't imagine its worth boxing up for trade in on new kit down the line.

futher details on this... the specs on the NAD are slightly better, but the reviews show better performance then on the spec sheet. So I assume it is just better and I won't a-b it because I don't know what I did with the other set of (cheap) RCAs I had and fuck all that anyhow.... I'm not gonna run this thing forever. Everything is better, crisper, better imaged, beefier, I don't know if I've come even close to top volume yet and certainly don't really need to find out given how loud I got it this morning. Only thing to do now is let my daughter have a run with the pluto if she'd like. Otherwise, I might PIF it, I don't know. I can't imagine its worth boxing up for trade in on new kit down the line.
The only reason I could see to keep the Pluto is to bundle it with the U-Turn if you ever decide to upgrade. Is your daughter using a different phono?

The only reason I could see to keep the Pluto is to bundle it with the U-Turn if you ever decide to upgrade. Is your daughter using a different phono?
yes, she has my old at-60 into an onkyo whatever the heck it was everyone was buying. I'll let her play with it, if she wants....

Last edited:
How do you set VTF? Do you set VTF?!

I’d be worried about that conical stylus digging deep into the groove. But, I’m the type to worry about such things.
It's pre-calibrated but is within recommended spec for the cart, just about 3g.

Think of it as a portable LP60x. It ain’t fancy, but it won’t kill your records.

Last edited:
It's pre-calibrated but is within recommended spec for the cart, just about 3g.

Think of it as a portable LP60x. It ain’t fancy, but it won’t kill your records.
The problem with precalibrated, especially in a portable table is what happens when it takes a jolt?

The problem with precalibrated, especially in a portable table is what happens when it takes a jolt?
It’s not a counterbalanced arm, it’s dynamically balanced with a spring, and it locks into the device with a bolt when not in use. So I’m not sure there’s a whole lot to knock out of whack without physically damaging the unit. In which case the whole tonearm assembly can be replaced.

Last edited:
It’s not a counterbalanced arm, it’s dynamically balanced with a spring, and it locks into the device with a bolt when not in use. So I’m not sure there’s a whole lot to knock out of whack without physically damaging the unit. In which case the whole tonearm assembly can be replaced.
I like that it looks like a weapon for the zombie apocalypse, just replace the record with a saw blade. Fun little doohickey for spinning records. Very cool.

New set up:
View attachment 174585
In addition to the new amp and upgraded speaker cables, I added some quartz counter top samples to my bespoke isolation system. Not seen is an echo dot that will be my streamer until I add the mdc card at some point in the future.
I just added this as my streamer when they had a sale a few weeks ago. I'm loving it so far. TempoTec March III M3

Back