Let’s talk Lego!

My second biggest Beatles regret (after not buying the Mono box) was not buying the Yellow Submarine set when they were in-stock at my local LEGO store. Looks stunning (as do all the sets)!
The Yellow Submarine set is so cool! That one and the Mystery Machine are two of my favorites

whoa

OcuoDxB.jpg

DED6EC62-9D96-4E8C-B54A-0BA517DFDAE6.jpeg

this one was fun, except for the 50 or so stickers. i don’t know about you guys, but i’m pretty ocd about sticker placement and it definitely seems like lego sets have way more stickers these days.

My son Ryan has been home kind of sick the last two days. Apparently he got bored and took inventory of our Lego sets, writing down the set numbers, names, etc. At dinner, I wondered aloud if there it is a website akin to Discogs where you can upload your inventory and see what the collection is worth. The answer is yes. Our collection of sets that are have not been taken apart is 225 sets, 243,000 individual pieces.

My family loves Lego (and Legoland). Here’s what I display in my basement (these are the ones I collect for me and build).

IMG_1611.jpegIMG_1612.jpegIMG_1613.jpegIMG_1621.jpegIMG_1615.jpegIMG_1614.jpeg

I like the Star Wars sets, obviously, my daughter is all in on Harry Potter/Hogwarts Sets, my son on Minecraft, and my wife is building out her Lego village. I love building these with my kids. I loved Lego as a kid, now as an adult, and as a Dad.

View attachment 197367
Really fun build with a few little surprises. Really impressed with how good this one looks, fantastic likeness for a very reasonable price.

That's a really cool little build! Haven't seen it in stores, but I like how it looks to have a lot of little parts.

Reminds me that my wife got me the a used copy of the new trilogy Millennium Falcon set this past Christmas, which I proceeded to build and then mod into an original trilogy Falcon. I couldn't stop myself so I also added a bunch of greebling and a some interior detail (the interior of that set is surprisingly sparse). She also got me a third party wall mount that I haven't used yet (and a light kit, but it was for the wrong model). I should post photos when I get a chance.

I couldn’t justify another Falcon, but I missed out on the Tantive IV. So I got the midi scale, it was a fun build and I love how they incorporated some of the story into the instructions. I also love that the escape pod that R2 and 3PO took to Tatooine is “missing” from the ship. Fun details in these.

IMG_1790.jpeg

I couldn’t justify another Falcon, but I missed out on the Tantive IV. So I got the midi scale, it was a fun build and I love how they incorporated some of the story into the instructions. I also love that the escape pod that R2 and 3PO took to Tatooine is “missing” from the ship. Fun details in these.

View attachment 197378
Yeah the Falcon has several little vignettes that are sealed inside the build including the holo chess game and little circular dot brick "minifigs" of R2 Luke Leia etc from different scenes in Star Wars. Really fun.

Last edited:
Here's my Falcon mod I fooled around with during the first few weeks of January.

As I was saying, this was a used set of the new trilogy Falcon. I modded it to the original trilogy by changing the sensor array and added a bunch of greebling to the top and sides to make it prettier.

IMG_0992.JPG

The interior is very sparce so I added some detail. Here's Luke with Ben.

IMG_0993.JPG

I fixed up the holochess area. Unfortunately missing a Chewbacca minifig. The dark brown pieces from that era are brittle as hell - the minifig that came with the used set disintegrated in my hands. Apparently a common thing. I should be able to eventually get a replacement.

IMG_0994.JPG

Some hallway detailing to show how I tried to simulate the rounded hallways and paneled walls. You can also see some of the modded quarters in the shot.

IMG_0995.JPG

And I modded the cockpit so it can seat two minifigs. Added levers and lights, plus a couple sticks to close out the gap present in the original set at the top.

IMG_0996.JPG
And some Star Wars-y storage crates and containers added it to fill out some space. Only thing I didn't accomplish was adding a proper hallway between the main section and the cockpit. That would have taken some serious modifications to the set.

IMG_0997.JPG

I wanted to add, those star wars crates are a pretty neat build. I saw one online but there was no plans, so I had to reverse-engineer. The thing is you can't actually do a multi-sided build like that with the standard 1x4 brick with studs on both sides - the cheese pieces won't sit flush when you stack two of those on top of one another, plus the proportions are wrong.

IMG_0998.JPG

The trick is to create your own piece with studs on all sides.

IMG_0999.JPG

Here's a front view so you can see the seams - one side is made from a L-shaped 2x1 plate with a side 2x2 plate where the 2x1 is at the top, and the other side uses the mirror piece with the 2x1 plate at the bottom of the L. Makes a tight little box when put together. The middle is made of 1x4 and 1x2 plates with a couple 1x1 L-plates with a single side stud for the front and back of the crate.

IMG_1001.JPG

Such a simple little thing that doesn't look like much, but the build is actually pretty tricky.

Daydreaming here, so bear with me. Lego has restarted the midi scale Lego line with the Falcon, Tantive IV and Invisible Hand ships on top of last years Executor. They’re a fun line and impressively detailed for their size. 2024 is also the 25th Anniversary of The Phantom Director, I mean Menace. Wouldn’t it be cool if Lego came out with a midi scale Lucrehulk Battleship? (A U S would be even better, but the fall/winter UCS release is supposedly Jabba’s Sail Barge).

Plus, a midi scale on a stand would help deal with the challenges from the shape and central bridge.

IMG_1812.png

Daydreaming here, so bear with me. Lego has restarted the midi scale Lego line with the Falcon, Tantive IV and Invisible Hand ships on top of last years Executor. They’re a fun line and impressively detailed for their size. 2024 is also the 25th Anniversary of The Phantom Director, I mean Menace. Wouldn’t it be cool if Lego came out with a midi scale Lucrehulk Battleship? (A U S would be even better, but the fall/winter UCS release is supposedly Jabba’s Sail Barge).

Plus, a midi scale on a stand would help deal with the challenges from the shape and central bridge.

View attachment 197959
That would be very cool. I mean I effing hate those films but that would still be very cool.

That would be very cool. I mean I effing hate those films but that would still be very cool.
The films were crap. The dialog was crap. The directing was crap. The acting (from otherwise good actors) was crap. Jar-Jar was… 😯🤬😡🤬😤. I blame the script writer and director.

The ideas (aside from the midichloreans) were ok. The ships were awesome. And a lot of the creatures were very cool. The Clone Wars animated series saved those from being completely useless (and was a great series).

The films were crap. The dialog was crap. The directing was crap. The acting (from otherwise good actors) was crap. Jar-Jar was… 😯🤬😡🤬😤. I blame the script writer and director.

The ideas (aside from the midichloreans) were ok. The ships were awesome. And a lot of the creatures were very cool. The Clone Wars animated series saved those from being completely useless (and was a great series).
Yep totally agree.

Back