Le Son LS-10 Mk II Moving Coil Cartridge Review

HiFi Guy

All Things Audio
IMG_2878.jpeg

While I believe the phono stage is the most overlooked component when it comes to playing vinyl records, I also believe the cartridge is the most important. Sure, everything matters, but if the signal is glossed over by the stylus, or the stylus isn’t aligned perfectly to the groove, or the generator isn’t high performance, nothing that the rest of the system is capable of can be realized. In short, once music is missed by the cartridge, it is lost. That said, buying a cartridge is a pain. One cannot audition one at all before purchase, at least in most cases and even if one could, it’s going to be at a dealer: best case scenario, it’s a semi educated risk. Worst case, it’s totally blind. One may consider stylus profile, brand reputation, cosmetics, ease of setup, reviews, or any combination of the above to make a buying decision. In most cases, what is sorely lacking is the ability to listen before buying. A few places offer money back guarantees, but often when you buy a cartridge you own it, like it or not.

Le Son International

This situation isn’t lost on Dr. Ted Tsai and Gregory de Richemont, founders of Le Son International based in in Shanghai China. Their cartridges- there are 3 currently- are backed by a 60-day money back guarantee. Additionally, the price includes worldwide shipping as well as customs charges. Nice. They will make recommendations for your system as well as assist with proper cartridge setup if needed. Dr Tsai designs the cartridges, and Mr. de Richemont oversees global sales. Le Son is French for “The Sound”- very appropriate as I’ll explain later.

IMG_2880.jpeg

The LS-10 Mk II

The LS-10 Mk II is their top of the range cartridge, priced at $1260 delivered to the US. It is a moving coil with .4 mV output and is encased in ebony with a threaded aluminum and carbon fiber mounting plate. While most cartridges seem like “me too” devices- pick your brand, your stylus profile and cantilever material, the LS10 Mk II stands apart. First, look at the pictures- the cantilever is white. That’s because it is made of Boron Nitride as opposed to Boron Carbide- the commonplace black Boron that everyone else uses. Why Boron Nitride? Lower moving mass for better detail retrieval. Boron Nitride offers a moving mass reduction of 22% versus Boron Carbide.

Where there are magnets and coils, as there are in all cartridges with the exception of very expensive optical models, there are magnetic fields called Eddy Currents. These are unavoidable. If the Eddy currents are in opposition to the coils, this causes resistance at the cantilever which is obviously undesirable. Dr. Tsai took this into account and designed a proprietary generator called ECC, for Eddy Current Cancellation. This allows the low mass cantilever/Shibata stylus assembly to trace the grooves much more accurately as opposed to a conventional design. The LS10 Mk II is certainly not a “me too” cartridge- there is some outside the box thinking going on here, and it shows.

I asked Mr. de Richemont about stylus life and care. He told me that the stylus should last for 1500 hours when playing records that have been cleaned ultrasonically. He recommended avoiding fluids for two reasons: the fluid may soften the adhesive that bonds the stylus to the cantilever. Additionally, any oil that may be part of the solution can migrate up the cantilever and cause internal damage. Of course, such damage would not be covered under the two-year warranty.

Setup

The LS-10 was a breeze to set up on my Technics SL-1210G. I used my trusty decades old MoFi Geo Disc to roughly align the stylus to my preferred Baerwald alignment. Then I used my Vinyl Source arc protractor to get the alignment perfect. SRA was adjusted so that the cartridge body was level to the record. The tracking force was set at the recommended 1.9 grams and an equal amount of anti-skate applied. Phono stage wise, I set my Sutherland Duo at 58 dB gain and loaded the cartridge at 100 ohms. Azimuth (left/right tilt when viewed from the front) was verified with an inexpensive acrylic alignment block- the same thing I used to adjust the arm height/SRA. While I own a Musical Surroundings Fozgometer for adjusting azimuth, I decided to forego its use as I wanted to set up the cartridge the same way any reader could easily do themselves. Most won’t own a $400 device whose sole purpose is to dial in azimuth.

Listening

I used 3 different pairs of speakers during my audition of the LS10 Mk II- the Klipsch Forte IV, Cerwin Vega LA-165 bookshelf /LA-110 subwoofer system and the Audio GE Teddy Classic. The rest of the system was consistent throughout the review. The Klipsch didn’t play well with either my room or my Manley Stingray II integrated amplifier, and don’t account for anything in this review. In fact, they’ve been sold. The Cerwin-Vega system ($670 review forthcoming) was used for most of the listening. Inexpensive, yes, but they sound surprisingly good. The Audio GE Teddy Classics were acquired a couple of weeks ago. Lithuania based Audio GE currently lacks US distribution, but I was able to source a mint preowned pair for a very reasonable price. In Europe, Teddy Classics sell for €3000 a pair.

In many ways, this is the most difficult review I’ve ever written, so let’s get the easy stuff out of the way first. I’ve got a few records that have sibilance issues. Most of them have none with the LS-10 Mk II- they track cleanly. Neither my Grado Reference 3 ($1500) or my Ortofon Quintet Black ($1095) can. Pretty impressive. I say most because the most recent reissue of Grateful Dead’s “Steal Your Face” is still rough. Whether it’s a situation of hot microphones or bad mastering, I can’t say. If the issue is the record itself, no cartridge can fix it. But the other problematic albums in my collection played cleanly. And it’s not due to the setup, as if anything, the other cartridges had a better setup: I used the Fozgometer with those. It also can’t be the Shibata stylus as The Ortofon also sports a Shibata. The improvement with the Le Son isn’t subtle. Which brings up another subject.

While the Le Son LS10 Mk II is priced between the Ortofon and the Grado, it’s not a fair fight. Because both other cartridges are sold through conventional retailers, they have additional mark up that the Le Son offerings lack. Buying factory direct allows one to get more performance for the same money in comparison with cartridges from other manufacturers. I am confident that if the LS-10 Mk II were sold through conventional channels it would be priced somewhere in the $3000 ballpark.

When it comes to cartridges, I value transparency and the ability to make music. All cartridges make sound. Not all cartridges make music- there is a difference. And while all cartridges do something- convert mechanical energy to electrical energy, I want a cartridge that sounds as invisible or transparent as possible. If I get a sense that the cartridge is “doing something” count me out. It’s almost an electromechanical sound that I’m referring to- and any cartridge that exbibits this behavior isn’t a music maker- it just plays records. There are more than a few current offerings that suffer this malady. The LS-10 Mk II is most certainly a music maker.

Why do I have such a hard time describing the sound of the LS-10 Mk II? Because it seems to have no inherent sonic character. It’s not warm like a Grado, nor does it accent the midrange and upper frequencies like some Audio/Technica models do. The Ortofon Quintet Black S has some added vibrancy in the midrange. In comparison the LS-10 Mk II is completely and totally neutral- a truth teller.

Not only does it not add any of its own flavor to the music, it is super quiet in the groove. It is as if the cartridge is levitating above the record and the music is coming through by osmosis. It is totally sonically invisible. As far as a cartridge that sounds as if it is “doing nothing”, it’s a champ.

That said, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I wasn’t getting the complete picture- I kept getting the feeling that I wasn’t getting all the performance that the LS-10 Mk II had to offer. I wondered if setting the Sutherland for a MM cartridge and adding a Step Up Transformer might extract a bit more performance. After looking around at what’s out there and checking my wallet, I scored a pair of vintage 1983 Sony HA-T10 SUTs for $150 shipped from Japan. I didn’t want to spend serious money on a wild guess. Also, some of you may know, I had major emergency surgery last month, so I have some medical bills to cover. Inexpensive vintage was the perfect solution.

And? I was right. And wrong. There is a difference using the SUTs- the gain needed for a low output MC comes with absolutely no noise penalty. Where I was wrong is that I drastically underestimated the improvement that the SUTs brought to my system, and I way underestimated how good the Le Son cartridge is. I now have three categories: cartridges that play records, cartridges that make music and cartridges that make magic. And what I’m hearing now is magical. It’s like in the classic movie “The Wizard of Oz” where the film switches from sepia tones to Technicolor. It’s transformative.

In fact, the presentation was so different that initially I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Everything sounded more real- and much more detailed without being analytical. It’s as if, suddenly, every note was the Most. Important. Note. Ever. Then it dawned on me- listening to record after record I was hearing all kinds of different low-level details that I had never heard before. Just last night I was listening to the Steve Hoffman cut of The Doors’ final album LA Woman. It has a few hits on it, but I got drawn onto one of the other tracks- “Hyacinth House”. Far from a favorite, but last night I was totally mesmerized. I got it, it made sense. And it was beautiful- Jim Morrison’s liquor-soaked voice, the instrumentation- all of it. It’s like hearing it- really hearing it- for the first time. I think tonight will be the non UHQR reissue of Steely Dan’s Aja. I can’t wait to hear what I’ve missed all these years.

Conclusion

Never once in my listening with the Le Son LS-10 Mk II did I ever wish that what I heard was any different than what I did. It is easily the most transparent cartridge I’ve ever heard. With the addition of an inexpensive SUT, it’s jaw dropping. If you are in this price range for a new cartridge (or even above) the LS-10Mk II should be at the top of your list. Better yet, buy one. You have 60 days to decide if you agree with me. I’m requesting that the manufacturer send me an invoice. The Le Son LS-10 Mk II is wildly and enthusiastically recommended.

Manufacturer’s Comment

On behalf of Le Son, I want to extend our sincerest thanks for the comprehensive and insightful review of the LS10 MKII. You have beautifully articulated the core of our mission: create cartridges that provide a compelling emotional experience. We feel honored and proud to see our design philosophy and innovations receive such thoughtful recognition from an expert with your depth of experience. Thank you!

Manufacturer’s Website:

Le Son International

Wonderful review! It looks like Le Son will be making a name for itself in the US.

One question about your loading - did you also try the 470 ohm setting of the Duos without the SUTs? When using a 1:10 SUT, the effective load at the cartridge is 470 ohms versus your test at 100 ohms without the SUTs. Wondering if loading makes a difference.

Wonderful review! It looks like Le Son will be making a name for itself in the US.

One question about your loading - did you also try the 470 ohm setting of the Duos without the SUTs? When using a 1:10 SUT, the effective load at the cartridge is 470 ohms versus your test at 100 ohms without the SUTs. Wondering if loading makes a difference.
I did. A bit brighter, but the difference was slight.

The Sonys are 1:20 SUTs- so giving me 66 dB gain. On the surface, it looks like too much for a .4 mV cartridge. With the Manley though, it’s a winner. The Manley Stingray II is really a high gain dual mono power amp fronted by an input selector and volume control. It’s totally passive on the input so the extra gain doesn’t hurt. Also using a SUT increases signal to noise ratio vs a totally active option.

As far as the loading math, I didn’t do it, I just listened. It works extremely well.

The difference between a SUT vs active step up amplification is more than just 26 dB of noise free gain (with a 1:20 device). Active devices tend to have increased distortion as frequency rises. SUTs have the highest distortion at the lowest frequencies and the distortion drops as the frequency rises. I’m not too worried about that as any speaker will have far higher distortion at lower frequencies than any SUT will.

The Klipsch didn’t play well with either my room or my Manley Stingray II integrated amplifier, and don’t account for anything in this review. In fact, they’ve been sold.
To my room's benefit! :p

Looks like a very cool cart. Lot of interesting audiophile gear coming out of China these days between this and Jasmine Audio.

To my room's benefit! :p

Looks like a very cool cart. Lot of interesting audiophile gear coming out of China these days between this and Jasmine Audio.

For sure. Beyond the Europeans having stuff made out there I love my Jay’s Audio CD Transport and I’m very intrigued both by this cart and the Audio GD stuff. Thankfully having just mounted a cart I’m about 2 years away from the next time!

Very cool cart and a nice write-up!
I think the low impedance and 0.4mV output are a good match for the 1:20.
There is some kind of special with the natural gain of the SUT.
Once you hear it, you know it.
I can’t disagree. When I first used my Bryston phono, which has an integrated SUT, I knew there was no going back.

However, I have found ground loops to be harder to manage with external SUTs, which is why a ground lift switch can be so useful. Good to know that the Sony in-line SUTs did not present such problems.

Le Son will be on my short list once the Hana ML stylus is worn out - I hope their distribution grows by then.

I can’t disagree. When I first used my Bryston phono, which has an integrated SUT, I knew there was no going back.

However, I have found ground loops to be harder to manage with external SUTs, which is why a ground lift switch can be so useful. Good to know that the Sony in-line SUTs did not present such problems.

Le Son will be on my short list once the Hana ML stylus is worn out - I hope their distribution grows by then.
Yeah adding any contraption to the signal path always adds complexity.
That's the biggest argument against separates in general.
Harmony is the most important piece vs just adding something expensive because specs on paper.

I’m thinking they will stay factory direct. That’s part of how they can offer what they do for the money.

The Le Son has really messed up my viewpoint on cartridges. What I used to think were great cartridges are now merely good.

Yeah adding any contraption to the signal path always adds complexity.
That's the biggest argument against separates in general.
Harmony is the most important piece vs just adding something expensive because specs on paper.
Very true.

Back when I first got but by the bug in the late ‘70s, I read the spec sheets and assembled the best system I could afford (not much as a teenager) based on that. I’d probably run from the room with my hands over my ears if I heard that system now.

Harmony/synergy is the hardest thing to get right. I’ve finally nailed it. I did consider upgrading to HA-T30 or the uber rare HA-T50 SUTs but then I put on another record and realize I’m in a great place. No changes needed.

Very true.

Back when I first got but by the bug in the late ‘70s, I read the spec sheets and assembled the best system I could afford (not much as a teenager) based on that. I’d probably run from the room with my hands over my ears if I heard that system now.

Harmony/synergy is the hardest thing to get right. I’ve finally nailed it. I did consider upgrading to HA-T30 or the uber rare HA-T50 SUTs but then I put on another record and realize I’m in a great place. No changes needed.
Since you asked😂

Since you asked😂

Oh, I saw that already, along with my new friend, the Make Offer option. 😎

I’m good, but thanks.

Is it retippable from the manufacturer or are you expected to buy a fresh cart when this one wears down?
Retip cost is $360 including shipping and customs. The factory turn around time is 7 days.
The cartridge gets a new cantilever and stylus.

So 29% of original cartridge cost is super inexpensive for the retip. This rivals Soundsmith but Le Son has a much faster turnaround time.

Retip cost is $360 including shipping and customs. The factory turn around time is 7 days.
The cartridge gets a new cantilever and stylus.

So 29% of original cartridge cost is super inexpensive for the retip. This rivals Soundsmith but Le Son has a much faster turnaround time.

That makes it very interesting indeed! Especially including shipping and customs! The prospect of customs on the return would add a lot to a soundsmith retip for me.

Back