Kansas City

Ex-Brooksider here checking in from Lenexa. What are your go-to music spots around town?

I usually buy records from Mills Record Co. in Westport, but I've heard really good things about Records with Merritt, too.

Any good HiFi shops in town? I kind of remember one in old town OP... But I don't think it's there anymore.

I frequented The Vinyl Underground at 7th Heaven when I lived in KC: https://7thheavenkc.com/departments/vinyl-underground/ Found a ton of gems there.

Last time I was in, I checked out Josey's (more or less a chain), and Revolution (formerly Zebedee's) -- both in the Crossroads district.

The HiFi shop I used to go to was called Vinyl Renaissance I think, but the Westport location has since closed to consolidate with the OP location (which might have also closed, not sure).

There was also a shop called Got What U Like in south KC that had a great selection: https://www.thepitchkc.com/arts-ent...became-a-cultural-beacon-in-south-kansas-city

Mills is my spot too. I've been to a bunch of record stores in my travels in the past years and we're spoiled by Mills. I have yet to find another store that has the selection of used/new they have in all genres.

Brothers in downtown Mission is good if you're after jazz. They've got a huge section for that.

Vinyl Renaissance is still in downtown OP.

Josey is huge but I always have trouble finding stuff in decent shape at a decent price there.

Hello KC peoples! I’ll be visiting your fine city in a little over a week. Any recommendations for record shops (or other cool things) to check out?

Mills is the definitely the best record store in KC. Near to them you can check out Josey Records and Records With Merritt. KC has a ton of good restaurants and other stuff worth checking out. What are you into?

Mills Record Company.
Mills is the definitely the best record store in KC. Near to them you can check out Josey Records and Records With Merritt. KC has a ton of good restaurants and other stuff worth checking out. What are you into?
Thank you guys! We’re going to the Packers/Chiefs game tomorrow and then have all day Monday to wander around. We’re pretty easy to please. Good food, good beer/drinks, a record store if I can convince the fiancée to let me go spend some money haha.

Back