June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

Play an album featuring vocalists of at least two genders

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

7C0DEB4D-0194-47BD-92E8-BC93BE08AAB2.jpeg
This Taylor Swift themed challenge thread is becoming a SY appreciation thread (never a bad thing). Male/Female lead vocals immediately took me to the Gordon/Moore co-leads. I love both singers vocals and songwriting equally so it seemed like the appropriate selection for today.

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

Who says punk can't have male/female harmonies...

X - Los Angeles

20220212_011654.jpg

We are trying to kind of avoid our world right now so why not take the easy choice and delve into one of the most iconic messy messes in the multi vocal sphere?

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

image.jpg

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

View attachment 142053
This Taylor Swift themed challenge thread is becoming a SY appreciation thread (never a bad thing). Male/Female lead vocals immediately took me to the Gordon/Moore co-leads. I love both singers vocals and songwriting equally so it seemed like the appropriate selection for today.

Is it crazy to say that this is my favorite Sonic Youth record?

10 – The Last Time – Play an album featuring vocalists of at least two genders

had some good options for this category but a TFS song randomly came on during a quick drive to the store earlier and got me in the mood to spin them..

TROPICAL FUCK STORM - A Laughing Death In Meatspace
PXL_20220610_200115079.NIGHT.jpg

Play an album that’s hitting the sale or trade-in or PIF box after this spin

I grabbed this for $10 in a Walmart sale the other day to reassess my prejudices (and get free shipping). Listened to one side of it yesterday and I think it ranks below Streaky Dan for me. But at least I'm open every so many years to seeing if my tastes have changed. And even not wanting to choose this to listen to, if it was a free concert I'd go. Not sure if I'll trade it or send it to a buddy who's just getting into vinyl, but I don't think it'll stay in the collection. I also don't want to listen to it again today, so I'm kinda cheating by counting yesterday's half spin.

The Eagles - Hotel California
IMG_20220610_134423__01.jpg
Streaky Dan was an honest autocorrect, but I'ma leave it.

Play an album that’s hitting the sale or trade-in or PIF box after this spin

I grabbed this for $10 in a Walmart sale the other day to reassess my prejudices (and get free shipping). Listened to one side of it yesterday and I think it ranks below Streaky Dan for me. But at least I'm open every so many years to seeing if my tastes have changed. And even not wanting to choose this to listen to, if it was a free concert I'd go. Not sure if I'll trade it or send it to a buddy who's just getting into vinyl, but I don't think it'll stay in the collection. I also don't want to listen to it again today, so I'm kinda cheating by counting yesterday's half spin.

The Eagles - Hotel California
View attachment 142070
Streaky Dan was an honest autocorrect, but I'ma leave it.
I did the same thing and picked it up from Walmart for $10 in a “What The Hell” kinda way. My Parents were of the generation that this album was popular so I was familiar with it but I’d always written it off, as being hugely overrated. In spinning it a week ago I realized it’s a pretty good album and one that aI would probably enjoy a decent amount if it didn’t come with all the Eagles baggage. I am glad I picked up a copy (the pressing is excellent) and will likely spin it again in the future.

10 – The Last Time

AND Play an album that’s hitting the sale or trade-in or PIF box after this spin

Black Mountain - Destroyer
This one hits both challenges today. The dual vocals of Steve McBean and Rachel Fannan. While I am Black Mountain fan, this album has never clicked with me. It has sat in my pif/sell cube for over a year now.
IMG_0433.jpg

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it. Play an album featuring vocalists of at least two genders

Os Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare

6695AE57-E644-46D8-AA52-612DAB7F971C.jpeg

07 – I Almost Do

I missed the initial order. I must’ve added and dropped about a hundred copies of blond(e) before I finally just couldn’t stand not owning one of my favorite albums of all time and bought an official copy mid-pandemic as a reward for simply surviving and existing. 1.5 years later, and I absolutely do not regret the purchase.

Frank Ocean — blond(e)

image.jpg

11 – Holy Ground – Time heals all wounds right? This one is about looking through the bad in the past to recognize the good that was and getting a bit of healing from it, so…

Play an album with religious/spiritual themes

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda

16549231158037286346740294794939.jpg

Spiritual jazz implies spiritual themes/allegory. Easy to ascend to.

I'm on vacation until the 20th, so I'll have a lot of catching up to do then.

09 – Stay Stay Stay -
Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

11864127-7106-4C2F-8CB9-959C1867FC8C.jpeg

Not sure if this record takes away all the emotions of the world or brings them to the forefront. I’ve been playing heavier stuff lately and my daughter requested this a few days ago to “calm it down a little.”

06 – 22 – You know this is kind of jarring after listening to All Too Well and makes this countdown counting so let’s keep this one simple folks

Play an album you loved when you were 22 (if you’re not 22 yet…I’m jealous but also play something you think you’ll like when you are)

1996, loved it then, still love it today.

Fiona Apple - Tidal

743DF98B-7BEF-43E1-A341-5EF972117DF9.jpeg

07 – I Almost Do The “nah, should I, nah” meme of songs.

Play the first part of a double album

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
– “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play the second half of the double album from Day 7.

This will help me catch up...

IMG_1255.JPG

07 – I Almost Do The “nah, should I, nah” meme of songs.

Play the first part of a double album

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
– “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play the second half of the double album from Day 7.

I'm also taking the double album approach, gotta catch up!

Jamilla Woods - Legacy! Legacy!

E6988784-19A4-4FD3-B78B-0C5716D94128.jpeg

11 – Holy Ground
Play an album that someone else introduced you to (even if you don’t talk to them anymore)

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
I had a friend who moved to the UK for school in the 80’s. He often made me mixed tapes of stuff that was getting a lot of attention in the UK but had not broken over in Canada yet. In early 1985 he made me a tape with The JaMC’s Never Understand on it. When I first heard the song my jaw dropped to the ground. I played that tape over and over, eventually buy a cassette of Psychocandy later that year. I LOVE feedback.
IMG_1271.jpg

The Double Album one was in there for catching up!

11 – Holy Ground
Play an album that someone else introduced you to (even if you don’t talk to them anymore)

Well she is right next to me, so kudos to the better half for the Harry Styles crash course

Harry Styles - S/T

image.jpg

Back