June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 3 - you move me ..

Morrissey- Bona Drag (reissue) one of the more successful Morrissey revisions to his catalogue, side 4 is all unreleased material.. he can sing a phone book and move me..but this compilation has some great songs ..and lots of b sides too so can’t complain ...the vocal on Piccadilly Palare is particularly effective AAD15932-D88B-4955-8B65-3604CC26CC97.jpeg080371A7-E7AF-410A-AACB-13DD171B7DF2.jpeg

Day 2 - Seconds

Speaking of NAO...

NAO - Saturn

View attachment 4398

There aren't enough good things I can say about this album. Heartbreak, introspection, hope, optimism on the future... all flowing together into one beautifully executed project

I have the earlier VMP release “for all we know” Not listened or picked this one up, how would you compare the two ?

I have the earlier VMP release “for all we know” Not listened or picked this one up, how would you compare the two ?
I'm probably biased because I think her first album dropped around the same time as Blonde, so I know I didn't give it as dedicated a listen as I could have but I feel like there's a bit of fat that can be trimmed off it. Saturn feels like a smoother, more cohesive project where each song has its important place in the lineup. Sounds just a tad bit more neo-soully than her previous album too - so if you're into that kind of sound, I definitely think you'd like it

DAY 5 - STRING THEORY

Happy no one has said this one yet.
There's strings all over this album ("Silent All These Years," "Girl," "Winter," "China," "Little Earthquakes"), though the beauty of it is that (if you have seen her live you know) the songs stand on their own without them. Just an amazing, one-of-a-kind album.

Day 5 Strings.jpg

Day 5 - String Theory
Andre Kostelanetz - "The Romantic Strings of Andre Kostelanetz"

20190605_220943.jpg

I went pretty literal with my approach to this obviously lol. I've always loved the sound of strings in music and this album, which I got as part of a collection of a bunch of random records (most of which were junk), ended being quite a hidden gem. There's a few different moods throughout, from gorgeous and emotional to whimisical and light. The tracklisting is also shaken up by an appropriately frenzied rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee." As you can probably tell by the quality of the album cover in my photo, this isn't exactly a mint condition record. There's a bit of crackle throughout, as the album clearly has been through a history of owners and households. But I'm glad it made its way to me in the end!

Back