July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 22: Los Angeles Clippers
Play an album from an artist from Southern California or an album that features a reference to water.

The Doors wrote a number of songs involving water and water vessels, most of which had a dark side -

Horse Latitudes
Moonlight Drive
The Crystal Ship
Riders On The Storm
Spanish Caravan
Yes, The River Knows

Water also figured into Jim's death. Maybe he knew something all along.

Here's one that's likely lesser known and a bit more upbeat and fun. Fan produced video uses footage of The Doors at sea...

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

20190829_232405.jpg

Last edited:
Day 20: Utah Jazz

Play an album from an artist from the Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming - the other states in this region are covered elsewhere) or do I really need to say it? A jazz album. Just play a jazz album and don't overthink this.

Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future

Yeah, @Yer Ol' Uncle D already played 'em, but I'm doing it again! You can't stop me!

IMG_20220722_143115711.jpg

I'm back! And I'm waaaaaaay behind

Day 12: Charlotte Hornets

Play an album from that has something to do with insects or other "bugs" (spiders allowed).

Well I'm a human fly
I-I spell F-L-Y
I say "buzz buzz buzz"
A-and it's just becuz
I-I'm a human fly
A-and I don't know why
I got 96 tears and 96 eyes

The Cramps - Bad Music for Bad People

A5C7DB36-C482-4873-A673-EAE7D2B855F0.jpeg

Day 21: Golden State Warriors
Play an album from an artist from the San Francisco bay area or play an album that features a song about war.

Deafheaven - Infinite Granite

From SF, the once and current home of the Warriors.

img_20210902_182847957_hdr-jpg.112829

Day 21: Golden State Warriors

Play an album from an artist from the San Francisco bay area or play an album that features a song about war.

This is the Real, Actual Soundtrack to the Movie Sorry to Bother You by The Coup

View attachment 146572

Day 21: Bonus Album

Sorry to Bother You Original Score by tUnE-yArDs

View attachment 146573

Day 22: Los Angeles Clippers

Play an album from an artist from Southern California or an album that features a reference to water.

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

E4AF6479-CF86-45F4-AE70-EDEE33135FE7.jpeg

Day 23: Los Angeles Lakers
Play an album from an artist from Los Angeles or an album that references celebrity. (Sure I could have done the same clue as the Clippers, but I didn't).

An early 90's Hollywood band that should've been huge but tragedy got the best of 'em. The record didn't take off as expected. Singer Frank Starr got hit by a car and killed. Drummer Dimwit (the brother of Chuck Biscuits) OD'd. It just wasn't in the cards.

But what a fun, rockin' band. The American AC/DC with all the riffage, a better sense of humor and a southern streak.

Two great songs about the trappings of stardom.

Well I ride around in limos all over this town
My women pick me up, whoo, when I fall down
Another maid's waiting just to answer the phone
And to tell everybody that I ain't home
Let it rock

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy

20220723_003818.jpg

Day 20: Utah Jazz

Josh Ritter - Hello Starling

8E7AC31A-3E1E-4FBD-8C1D-CE3C670C9639.jpeg

Josh Ritter is from Moscow, ID, a town where students from Washington State University in Pullman, WA used to cross the state border to back in the day because Idaho had a lower drinking age of 19 until the late 80s. And that’s your fun fact for the day

Day 23: Los Angeles Lakers

Play an album from an artist from Los Angeles or an album that references celebrity. (Sure I could have done the same clue as the Clippers, but I didn't).

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà Vu
17230AB6-A701-4C41-8717-E6D4F8412C22.jpeg

The Lakers basically construct super teams so I figured I would choose an album by a super team of musicians, a group that were a big part of LA’s Laurel Canyon scene of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I think the Lakers, being one of the most successful franchises in pro sports (I saw a stat just yesterday saying that in the history of the Lakers franchise they’d won more championships (17) than missed the playoffs (13); has made them more villainous in the way I regard them, a team to root against. In fact, probably my favorite Lakers team was the team after Magic retired but before Kobe arrived, the Dell Harris coached squad with Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Vladimir Divac and Cedric Ceballos. Those teams were fun to watch and never felt like they a diabolically constructed super team. They also didn’t win any rings and Jones and Vlade were shipped to Charlotte in order to obtain the rights to Kobe.

Back