July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

Day 27 - Sharing is Caring

Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again

A PIF courtesy of @marshall
Thanks again, I was super happy to add his first album to my collection.

Additionally, it was @David A. that made a comment (wayyy back on the old forum) that Love & Hate was among his albums of the year, that year it came out. I didn't know Michael Kiwanuka's music at the time, so that prompted my first foray into MK.
I haven't seen him around this forum much, I hope all is well.

View attachment 58657
Thank you for reminding me of how good an album this is. I really needed a change of pace from T-Swift, The National and Ellington alumni recordings that I've been binging.

JULY 27
SHARING IS CARING
Play an album you own thanks to another forum member

Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

This was a few years ago but this was a Secret Santa gift from (90% sure, it's been a while away from The Forum That Shall Not Be Named) @folsom_lives. Unbeknownst to my Santa at the time, I had wanted a copy of this for a while but like so many jazz pressings, I was paralyzed by the paradox of choice. My Santa must have known that the Superior Viaduct pressing sounds great, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great value on a great album.

View attachment 58688
Superior Viaduct also released a pressing of Mingus Plays Piano. Mingus has a very idiosyncratic way of phrasing at the piano. Obviously a big Monk energy but without as much atonal or jagged runs. But he's just as interested in silence during his improvisations. Memorable stuff.

July 29: Cue Synthesizer

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

1596040054179561884333583439402.jpg

My #10 of the '10s. In the past few years, I have come to the belief that there is an underlying narrative in this primarily instrumental album.

LP1 symbolizes a lively town/city unaware of a monster/evil deity/natural disaster slowly building in power, coming to full strength, the city's citizens realizing too late that they cannot save themselves from certain death and ruin with some accepting their fate and final moments, and the inevitable destruction that follows. The instrumentation here is quite aggressive and builds intensely.
LP2 symbolizes the immediate aftermath of the decimation of the town and the majority of its inhabitants, the plan to rebuilding the town/city and its community over several years time, then implementing this plan with the help and generosity of the neighboring cities and global donations, and the remembrance of those who have been lost and looking to a more optimistic future of tranquility. The instrumentation here runs primarily ambient to symbolize a melancholy tone and providing contrast to the more unrelenting LP1.

29 - Synths

The quintessential synth album, really. I nearly bought this one again by accident through bandbox but got curious and checked my collection to see that I already had it before it was too late to change my selection. Hence it is currently on the listening shelf.

New Order - Technique

View attachment 58881

I actually just received this one in the mail this morning- from Bandbox!

DAY 27
SHARING IS CARING
Mindless Self Indulgence - If
I have a lot I could have done for this one but decided to go with one I doubt I would have ever gotten without the help of a forum member, namely the sweetheart known as @EmeryRK. I loved this album growing up and I'd been aware of this vinyl edition for a long time but also knew it was extremely rare and figured my chances of ever finding one was close to zero. But my boi Emery found it for an amazing price at his local and procured for me, and I've been indebted to him ever since 🥺
20200729_161941.jpg

DAY 29: CUE SYNTHESIZERS

Howard Jones - Dream Into Action

View attachment 58941

An artist who played in a “synthesizer showdown” with Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder & Thomas Dolby at the 1985 Grammys. He played the majority of instruments on this album too, most (if not all) of which were synths or synthesizers.
Howard is one of my all time favorites! Check out his album Transform from last year, he has a couple of great songs w BT.

Back