July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

DAY 24
DON'T FORGET THE EAR PLUGS
Merzbow - Venereology
20200724_172937.jpg

It isn't included on this reissue, but the original version of the song "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" was, at least at one point, officially declared the loudest thing ever put to CD. Listen below to find out why (pls turn volume down)

Day 24: DON'T FORGET THE EAR PLUGS
Play something LOUD
Big Black - Headache 12"
When I was going through my collection to pull items this month for the challenge, today reminding me of seeing Shellac live. They were very loud. In front of the stage was a guy wearing ear plugs. Between songs, Rob Weston reached out and pulled the plugs out of the guys ears and said "if I have to go deaf playing this shit, then you have to go deaf listening to it." One of the best shows ever. I was exhausted by the end of it.

View attachment 58245

Oh...I totally agree. I had tinnitus issues for a couple days after seeing Shellac. The small venue made it sound great, but also VERY loud.

4996_1115238974482_1421222_n.jpg
4996_1115239014483_991429_n.jpg
4996_1115239054484_722587_n.jpg

Day 24: PLAY LOUD

This reissue has the same "made to be played loud at low volume” as the original release on the Stiff label.

The Damned ‎– Damned Damned Damned
Drastic Plastic Records ‎– DPRLP76, 1977/2016

Limited/Numbered to 1500, #1032

Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio
Pressed at Quality Record Pressings

iEPoUU.jpg

oYSEeb.jpg

JULY 24
DON'T FORGET THE EAR PLUGS
Play something LOUD

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

I still remember one day in 2005 I was feeling a bit depressed, so I decided to go shopping for music, and I picked up this one. I got in the car, popped in the CD, and the first few seconds had me shocked out of my stupor, and more than a bit worried I had blown out the speakers of my friend's car. This album is LOUD and crunchy and messy, even in its quieter moments, and those first few seconds of the album establish it perfectly.

20200724_161010_HDR.jpg

DAY 23
UNCHARTED TERRITORY
Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!"
Knew this would be here soon and seemed a great fit for this theme so decided to save it. Donald Glover has made a career of dipping his toes in a little bit of everything so at this point him "trying something new" isn't that shocking. Even still, when the first teaser of this album was revealed, it caught almost everyone off guard. Because the Internet was a huge leap forward for Gambino but this album was an entirely different animal. Completely detached from the hip-hop style of his previous work, Glover and his collaborators created an album that draws on the sounds of the past, brought to life through a more modern lens, to create a truly timeless and transcendent piece of art. If you listen to this album and aren't convinced Donald Glover is an incredible talent, then nothing will convince you.
20200724_203128.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 24 - LOOOOUUUUUD

IMG_20200724_214216.jpg

Combatwoundedveteran - I Know a Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos.
I really wanted to play Lack's first album, but that remains a white whale for now.
This is one of my favorite grindcore albums... But, it's also the kind of grindcore where even other grindcore fans would hear you playing it and say "damn dude, you want a hug or something?"

JULY 25
BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT
Play a short album (at least under 30 minutes)

Kanye West "Ye"

Great songs, short album. Excited to see if there'll be a "Donda" drop today or soon. Hope he's doing well and has some real friends around. ❤️ I've seen he posted a pic of him and Justin Bieber few hours ago, discussing new spray foam wall prototypes at his Wyoming ranch.

IMG_20200723_124531.jpg

Day 25: Shorty

27:05 - I used this record and images for a previous challenge... I am spinning the record, just too lazy to take new images.

The Beach Boys ‎– Smiley Smile
Capitol Records ‎– ECS-40167, 1967/1982

Japanese pressing

H5i92F.jpg

pyTk8Q.jpg

Day 25 - BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT

Tenderlonious - The Piccolo - Tender Plays Tubby (Jazz Detective Records, 2020 First Limited Signed Pressing with Exclusive Art Print)

I spun this last night and again this morning, its just a killer record. The story here is that the UK multi-instrumentalist, Tenderlonious, reached out to the Tubby Hayes estate and borrowed his piccolo for a period while he recorded an album of Hayes' compositions. Its a really really really great album but painfully short at around 23/24 minutes. I really wish there was more here, but that just goes to show how good the actual music is. The package is fantastic as well, with a high-quality card stock, great print, heavy vinyl (just look at the size of the deadwax though!!) and an exclusive print. This copy is signed by Tenderlonious as well.

IMG_0245 (1).JPG

25 - Short and Sweet

I was introduced to this artist by @Goatfish . It’s bordering on perfection and may even be perfect. The overall length supports the perfection by leaving the listener wanting more. This one album probably gets played more than any other because not only is it fantastic, it’s convenient to listen to any time. This is how an indie folk album is written. Let’s just hope she can do it again some day.

Hayley Heynderickx - I Need to Start a Garden

A9D60454-6F5B-40B0-A929-20DE7288BE81.jpeg

Back