John Zorn's Vinyl Fundraiser

plasquatch

Last year, John Zorn (musician, composer, label owner) ran a PledgeMusic campaign for an eleven-CD box set (and vinyl highlight comp) called The Book Beri'ah. If you've been following the news, you can guess how this went: he's almost $200,000 in the hole.

To get that money back, he's doing what many of his fans have been begging him to do: releasing more vinyl.

There are four titles, $30 each or $100 for the lot. Twice as much if you want them signed.
The Best of Sanhedrin is a compilation of his Masada group.
Alhambra Love Songs is a piano trio album.
The Last Judgment is played by an organ-based group featuring Mike Patton and Trevor Dunn.
Nove Cantici per Francesco d'Assisi is brand new and is played by three guitarists.

I get this feeling like he's using this to test the waters.

Thank god PledgeMusic is done though. They were so in over their heads. Really terrible about this situation though. Hopefully he can recoup most of the losses. Anyone know anything about these albums? His music is so varied and hard to keep up with.

Thank god PledgeMusic is done though. They were so in over their heads. Really terrible about this situation though. Hopefully he can recoup most of the losses. Anyone know anything about these albums? His music is so varied and hard to keep up with.

I ordered something once. They just kept fucking it up until I got a refund. I don't know what came of them, but nothing would surprise me. They were nice, but definitely in over their heads

I had several purchased via PledgeMusic, including an autographed vinyl of the last Flaming Lips record. However, I got screwed with the Matthew Sweet autographed Girlfriend vinyl. Still no product and no refund.

I heard about this through Medeski’s IG.

I may have to look into this. Hopefully it will last till my next paycheck. Wow first Masada ever on Vinyl.

Last edited:
I just read about this on the DMG newsletter and was coming to post about it. I jumped on the bundle with the quickness.

I'm not sure what numbers they are planning to press, but if it's in danger of selling out before you can make it, I might be able to help out. I don't think it will come to that, though

I doubt it will come to that, but man this forum always amazes me with the trust and generosity.

I may hit you up if I start getting nervous.

How is that? As payday comes closer I'm leaning towards just getting the quartet album., but seriously 4 albums for $100 makes more since than 1 for $30 for some illogical reason.
I haven't heard this Moonchild, but I've liked all of the other ones I have heard. If you like the heavier, spazzy Zorn groups, I'm sure you'd dig it. But don't feel pressured to buy all four!

Oh this is awesome, I grabbed the 4 album set. I've been slowly buying the CD versions of his Masada songbook, some of which are kinda hard to find / expensive.

Back