Jazz

Just seen this, a 1973 session conducted by Neil Ardley, with a lot of Mike Taylor's players, including Ian Carr, Barbara Thompson & John Hiseman. @Selaws might be of interest, or you might be able to tell us more about it?

Oh wow amazing, I have been after the original release but it rarely pops up for sale. I didn’t realise there was a reissue due, has anyone heard of the “Lantern Heights” label before? Looks like a limited reissue run (500) so hopefully they have a few turn up in the UK.

In terms of the album itself, it’s a memorial album using Taylor’s compositions. For those that don’t know, Taylor’s life was rather tragic. He was an incredibly dedicated musician that was constantly thinking about music (even at parties in his youth he would be in the corner in his suit scribbling ideas down). However, it’s believed that constant use of heavy psychedelic drugs led him to lose his mind a bit. He became homeless, destroyed the majority of his written compositions and ended up dying of suspected suicide (he was found drowning in the sea and saved but then was found the next day again dead). From what I understand, the likes of Neil Ardley and Jon Hiseman smuggled some of his compositions out of his house before he destroyed them and these form part of what was used for the Mike Taylor Remembered album, alongside number from the 2 albums that he released as lead and contributions to other albums.

Oh wow amazing, I have been after the original release but it rarely pops up for sale. I didn’t realise there was a reissue due, has anyone heard of the “Lantern Heights” label before? Looks like a limited reissue run (500) so hopefully they have a few turn up in the UK.

In terms of the album itself, it’s a memorial album using Taylor’s compositions. For those that don’t know, Taylor’s life was rather tragic. He was an incredibly dedicated musician that was constantly thinking about music (even at parties in his youth he would be in the corner in his suit scribbling ideas down). However, it’s believed that constant use of heavy psychedelic drugs led him to lose his mind a bit. He became homeless, destroyed the majority of his written compositions and ended up dying of suspected suicide (he was found drowning in the sea and saved but then was found the next day again dead). From what I understand, the likes of Neil Ardley and Jon Hiseman smuggled some of his compositions out of his house before he destroyed them and these form part of what was used for the Mike Taylor Remembered album, alongside number from the 2 albums that he released as lead and contributions to other albums.

It's a new off shoot of Lantern, which I've not heard off before. I'll do a bit more digging but don't know anything about the label really.

It'll probably be cheaper getting a copy from Jazzmessengers than picking one up in the UK. They do free shipping over 30 Euros & deduct the 20% VAT.

It's a new off shoot of Lantern, which I've not heard off before. I'll do a bit more digging but don't know anything about the label really.

It'll probably be cheaper getting a copy from Jazzmessengers than picking one up in the UK. They do free shipping over 30 Euros & deduct the 20% VAT.
Here's another option through Juno. Comes to £26.74 which is pricey but it is limited to 500 so I didn't want to risk it selling out.

Here's another option through Juno. Comes to £26.74 which is pricey but it is limited to 500 so I didn't want to risk it selling out.

I'm hoping it will be a decent sounding version, it seems like a legit label & says, 'Taken from Ardley’s master tapes'.

cross post

If you like vocal jazz, this really is a enjoyable album. Thanks to a friend for swapping me a copy as they look to be out now for non members.
1644769911533.png

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Here's a sappy jazz related Valentine's story:

So 21 years ago I had been dating a girl for a few weeks. I bought us tickets to go and see Brad Mehldau on Valentine's day, which seemed like a super romantic gesture. Except she got called in to work a night shift last minute. Lame right? So I decided to record the show on DAT, and then met up with her after she got off work, with dessert, a teddy bear, flowers, and played the show for her. Super sappy, but it worked! We're now married, living in the snow-pocalypse of the Yukon with two kids.

Anyways, the main reason I posted the treacly story, was because someone recently posted my recording of the show on Youtube (audio only). A little muffled, but still sounds pretty good. Super great cover of Paranoid Android at the 1:10 mark:

This isn't a Jazz-exclusive thinkpiece, but I thought I could share it here, since Ted is a renowned critic and historian among Jazz fans:

Ted Gioia shares his thoughts on returning to vinyl after 34 years

Pretty interesting read on the landscape of the vinyl industry, and the music business at large.
I was honestly shocked that he didn't listen to any vinyl until recently. He makes good points about the supply issues for pressing plants, the lack of innovation of the music industry, and vinyl pricing (which we all have first hand experience with).

This isn't a Jazz-exclusive thinkpiece, but I thought I could share it here, since Ted is a renowned critic and historian among Jazz fans:

Ted Gioia shares his thoughts on returning to vinyl after 34 years

Pretty interesting read on the landscape of the vinyl industry, and the music business at large.
Good read, but for someone who claims to have studied pricing/economics for years, I’m surprised he doesn’t seem to know that a form of the “super vinyl“ technology he proposes at the end already exists, and it commands prices 2x-3x of the $40 price point he already thinks is crazy high. Maybe someone should tell him AS sold thousands of pre-ordered copies of Kind of Blue @ $100 with zero difficulty. And pre orders for Mofi’s forthcoming One Steps, some/most of which won’t even be released until 2023 and beyond, clogged Music Directs phone lines for days!!

A new 'never released' album from Horace Tapscott looks to have just been released. Quite an extensive package with 3lp's, thick gatefold jacket and archival photographs. Quite pricey as well at £80 plus postage. Looks to be a lot of music though, 2 hours of live recordings. @Mr Moore I seem to remember you being a fan of Tapscott?

Horace Tapscott & The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra – Live At Century City Playhouse 9/9/79 | Sounds of the Universe

I didn't end up getting this one.If anyone sees a copy at a reasonable price I's be interested.

I don't think I've seen anyone post about these. Spotted 2 new Taspscott releases that look limited and all analogue (and a little cheaper).

Good read, but for someone who claims to have studied pricing/economics for years, I’m surprised he doesn’t seem to know that a form of the “super vinyl“ technology he proposes at the end already exists, and it commands prices 2x-3x of the $40 price point he already thinks is crazy high. Maybe someone should tell him AS sold thousands of pre-ordered copies of Kind of Blue @ $100 with zero difficulty. And pre orders for Mofi’s forthcoming One Steps, some/most of which won’t even be released until 2023 and beyond, clogged Music Directs phone lines for days!!
Actually, that's exactly what he is talking about. What Chad and Mofi are selling isn't a new innovation. It's just a minor reformulation that has been around for eons. They aren't innovating. They are simply re-branding the old to make it appear new.

His really point is exemplified by what these labels are doing. Charging eye popping gouge prices for old technology with realtively low costs and little to no investment in R&D.

Chad closed his factory to outside orders so he could pump out only his own product after increasing the price 15%. Even though by doing so he effectively redues his costs by acting as distributor, manufacturer and licensee - and in many cases, already owning the plates which he acquired for pocket change.

His point is that these practices are sooner or later going to kill the business. When a category resports to this practice - gouging, instead of becoming more efficient and innovative and passing that on to customers - there is always and inevitable death spiral. The recording industry did that before with CD, and he makes a good point that with vinyl they are repeating it.

Actually, that's exactly what he is talking about. What Chad and Mofi are selling isn't a new innovation. It's just a minor reformulation that has been around for eons. They aren't innovating. They are simply re-branding the old to make it appear new.

His really point is exemplified by what these labels are doing. Charging eye popping gouge prices for old technology with realtively low costs and little to no investment in R&D.

Chad closed his factory to outside orders so he could pump out only his own product after increasing the price 15%. Even though by doing so he effectively redues his costs by acting as distributor, manufacturer and licensee - and in many cases, already owning the plates which he acquired for pocket change.

His point is that these practices are sooner or later going to kill the business. When a category resports to this practice - gouging, instead of becoming more efficient and innovative and passing that on to customers - there is always and inevitable death spiral. The recording industry did that before with CD, and he makes a good point that with vinyl they are repeating it.
I wrote that to reinforce his point. Mfrs are already holding themselves out as having made a tech innovation and charging an even higher premium, and it’s getting lapped up at those prices. You’re saying it’s not a real tech innovation like he’s proposing. I know that, but the mfrs are marketing it like it is a major leap.

I didn't end up getting this one.If anyone sees a copy at a reasonable price I's be interested.

I don't think I've seen anyone post about these. Spotted 2 new Taspscott releases that look limited and all analogue (and a little cheaper).

For that 2nd one, yet another reissue w/ Nate Morgan. I’m a fan after buying both of PP’s reissues of “Journey Into Nigritia” and “Retribution.” Anyone interested on this side of the pond, it’s available at Dusty Groove, which, as usual, has a great write up. Tapscott & Winds is also available at Dusty Groove. I haven’t looked elsewhere.
EDIT - both also available direct from Nimbus West.
1644961175798.png

Last edited:
Good deal on a Monk OJC pressing. @MikeH

Amazon product ASIN B000000YBH
Fwiw, Amazon also has the MOV “Straight, No Chaser” for $26.99 (29% markdown). It gets good reviews from the sources I’ve seen, and I think the album could be titled “Straight Fire.”

For almost a year, I’ve had a backorder w/ Elusive Disc for the Impex 2xLP 45rpm version of Straight, No Chaser, and Elusive has told me three different times it is coming back into inventory, and they even bumped the price $5 since I ordered it (although that may just be an Impex-wide increase). The backorder option is still available at Elusive.

In any event, here’s the link to the MOV at Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B0058NXVDW

Back