Jazz

When one of you gets the new Empyrean Isles pressing please report back. I'm sure it'll be the usual "good master/bad pressing" with these ones, but hopefully they clean up their act. When I finally got a clean Moanin and Soul Station from that set of releases they sound great.

When one of you gets the new Empyrean Isles pressing please report back. I'm sure it'll be the usual "good master/bad pressing" with these ones, but hopefully they clean up their act. When I finally got a clean Moanin and Soul Station from that set of releases they sound great.
Think positive thoughts.

Speaking of shitty Optimal pressings, you should hear this Nils Frahm record I purchased. It's horrendous. Like pouring milk over a bowl of rice krispies. Should have bought the CD.

$40 OJC titles just seems wrong, but hey, they’re loving it over at the Hoffman forums. I guess this is the market now.
Yeah $40 is not really living up to the OJC legacy. I wonder how low these will get with Target 3-for-2 sales. I feel like $25 would be nice.

Think positive thoughts.

Speaking of shitty Optimal pressings, you should hear this Nils Frahm record I purchased. It's horrendous. Like pouring milk over a bowl of rice krispies. Should have bought the CD.
Is that the animal one? I was listening to it on streaming and there’s some BG noise throughout the entire album.

Is that the animal one? I was listening to it on streaming and there’s some BG noise throughout the entire album.
I have that one as well. Also pressed by Optimal. Somewhat noisy.

Everything I own by Nils is pressed at Optimal, and with the exception of one or two albums, most have non-fill or surface noise issues. The one I was referring to earlier is "Empty". Truly a bummer, because his albums need dead silent vinyl. And I should have learned my lesson by now... just buy the CDs for his albums to avoid the medium issues and noise on quiet piano/ambient compositions. But no, I'm an idiot who must compulsively own all his music on vinyl.

I have that one as well. Also pressed by Optimal. Somewhat noisy.

Everything I own by Nils is pressed at Optimal, and with the exception of one or two albums, most have non-fill or surface noise issues. The one I was referring to earlier is "Empty". Truly a bummer, because his albums need dead silent vinyl. And I should have learned my lesson by now... just buy the CDs for his albums to avoid the medium issues and noise on quiet piano/ambient compositions. But no, I'm an idiot who must compulsively own all his music on vinyl.
sadly, I’ve avoided Nils Frahm on vinyl bc of the many QC complaints

I have absolutely no idea how much time it takes to cut a record but whoa...
Not too long in most cases. The label hiring the mastering studio determines how much time is spent. He probably does one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Back in the day, when these guys worked directly for the label, it would typically be an hour a side.

Back