Jazz

I've just played mine, no issues .
Hey there fellow jazz-heads. Does anyone here own the MoFi Miles Smiles? I received mine a couple of weeks ago and found it has a scratch, so I'm asking for a replacement. However, I spun it yesterday before packaging it to send it back to Music Direct, and I noticed some sort of buzz or siblance in the high frequencies throughout the record. I recorded this short video where this issue can be heard:

Has anyone here had this issue with their copy? I'm trying to determine if its worth getting a replacement or if I should ask for a refund. If my replacement copy will fix the scratch but still have this high frequency buzz, then I'm better off with the Speakers Corner pressing.

An evening with Art and the boys

EACwEyhXYAUVP6i.jpg

are there any pressings in general that i should avoid when buying jazz?

Currently, cheap (usually European/Russian) reissues such as Dol, Waxtime, Vinyl Lovers etc. They don’t actually sound terrible but they are reportedly just presses from CDs and they definitely make the most of expired copyright laws so the artists and/or their estates see zero royalties from it. That being said, that’s definitely a moral choice and if you choose to buy those it’s totally upto you.

Currently, cheap (usually European/Russian) reissues such as Dol, Waxtime, Vinyl Lovers etc. They don’t actually sound terrible but they are reportedly just presses from CDs and they definitely make the most of expired copyright laws so the artists and/or their estates see zero royalties from it. That being said, that’s definitely a moral choice and if you choose to buy those it’s totally upto you.

It’s also not uncommon (at least in Europe) to still see lots of very authentic looking reissues known as Scorpio which I believe were US made and licensed officially but sound pretty poor, similar to the Blue Note 75 series with cheap pressings and surface noise not uncommon. They’re harder to spot as they have no barcodes and only the original label logos but generally if you see a classic BN or other that looks pristine and still in shrink for £10-12, it’s probably a Scorpio!

It’s also not uncommon (at least in Europe) to still see lots of very authentic looking reissues known as Scorpio which I believe were US made and licensed officially but sound pretty poor, similar to the Blue Note 75 series with cheap pressings and surface noise not uncommon. They’re harder to spot as they have no barcodes and only the original label logos but generally if you see a classic BN or other that looks pristine and still in shrink for £10-12, it’s probably a Scorpio!

good to know, thanks

good to know, thanks

No worries. Here’s an example of a Scorpio.

You’ll see from the images they really look the part and depending on how good your rig/ears are, you may or may not find them worth a punt.

They released some good one’s, I’ve got about 8 of them , this is probably my favourite, the 65 material is superb, Tyner plays a great solo on MFT’s and then Coltrane comes in and blows the roof off!!21951E46-D6FE-426A-9EB2-251C8B025830.jpeg
I need to find myself a copy of this for sure. Nice looking book collection you have there as well.

I started writing a response but @Mr Moore pretty much has it covered. Theres a ton of poor presses out there flooding the market and its often hard to cut the rubbish from the decent pressings. If you put a search into eBay and see any Buy It Now for £15-£20 its likely to be a Waxtime or Dol.

Dol specifically tends to try to entice people by pressing 'special' coloured versions which are not the best by far.I got a copy of their Mingus Ah Um on some sort of blue coloured vinyl a while back (it was a gift) and they even cut a slice from the front cover to display the record itself.......without it being in an inner sleeve. You could literally touch the record. Needless to say its basically a mp3/digital version on vinyl. Your better off going for a second hand older pressing in decent condition, much more bang for your buck!

Back