January 2023 Spinning Challenge: Welcome To 2023

Day 31: January Recap
Play your favourite fresh grab from January.
PXL_20230131_194953182.jpg
Destroyer "Streethawk: A Seduction" - sometimes the N&G AoTM is something you already have so you go with one of the other choices...then grab a few more albums from said artist because you're a little obsessed and you have a record buying problem...at least I'm trying to cure the problem by listening to more records than I buy!!!

Shout out to @Joe Mac for running a tight jazz soaked ship this month!

Play your favourite fresh grab from January

Beyond the Pale, Volume 1: Sergeant Thunderhoof & Tony Reed

This is a really fun record I picked up this month. It's a 45 single split, of stoner rock bands covering two Kate Bush songs. I wish they'd have done more than a song each, but either way love what it is.

Thanks for the fun month, @Joe Mac!

IMG20230131155213.jpg

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily

5E66753F-C951-4632-ADFC-395AC88DF8F4.jpeg

Earlier this month, the only two MoFi records I had were by Weezer, and the next thing I know I have the definitive pressing of an album that my mom used to play in the Caravan every day on our way to swim practice.

Thanks for a great month, @Joe Mac !!

Day 31: January recap

Wilco - Cruel Country

One of my favourite albums from last year, this finally came out on vinyl a week and a half ago. As always, the pressing is top-notch and they knocked the package out of the park.

It's only been out for eight or nine months, but it stunned me from my first listen and has only gotten better with repeated listens. Quickly becoming one of my favourite albums by my favourite band.

Thanks for running the thread this month, Joe! I can't remember the last time I finished one of these.

PXL_20230131_235518817.jpg

Day 30: Local Record Stores
Please support your local record stores over evil corps and soulless online warehouses. Play something you bought in a record store you love

Nice timing on the prompt, I just ventured out to one of my favorite stores on Saturday - Street Corner Music. Picked this up, along with a few others.

IMG_3322.JPG

Man, this show fucking blew me away. I expected to like it a lot, it exceeded expectations. The band is a great unit, Collin O'Brien is an amazing drummer...musical, funky and powerful. (And a Michigander to boot!) And in a 400 seat venue, not a bad seat in the house. I didn't get this signed, just shook Neal's hand and expressed my appreciation for his craft.

I have to tell this story....we just got back from our local brewery, kind of a Tuesday thing. I was talking to one of the bartenders and mentioned going to a concert near the old location of that brewery. "What show?" "Neal Francis" No recognition, understandably so. Then Changes came on the house speakers. I'm like, "This guy!"

I don't know man, kinda weird right?

IMG_3323.JPG

Neal F.JPGCollin.JPGNF Band.JPG

Day 29: Jazz Sunday
Go on then, I’ll give all you Jazz nuts a yard, don’t go taking a mile…

Harold Land - Westward Bound!
30728C95-A3D1-472E-89B0-BC2A745CD0DB.jpeg

This was a RSD release from a few years ago that I missed initially. Thankfully my local had a used copy show up last month for under the original MSRP so I scooped it up. The main reason I wanted it (besides the fact that the release was AAA and cut by Kevin Grey) that this was a live recording taken from The Penthouse in Seattle, and I figured it’d me nice to have a little local flavor in my Jazz collection.

Day 30: Local Record Stores
Please support your local record stores over evil corps and soulless online warehouses. Play something you bought in a record store you love.

The Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East
85408868-2F9C-43C4-A96C-860F549CEFCE.jpeg

I am lucky to live in town with multiple used record stores not to mention within a short car drive from Rainy Day Records in Olympia and a multitude of excellent store in Seattle. My favorite store in town is Hi-Voltage Records, they have a wide selection of new and used albums at a fair price. This record though was picked up at another wonderful shop called JankuLand. They are considerably smaller and their hours don’t jive as well with my schedule so I don’t make it by as often as I probably would otherwise. They are quite a bit smaller but they keep their prices low as a result and sometimes you can find a Capricorn Pink Label in excellent condition for under $20.

Back