January 2023 Spinning Challenge: Welcome To 2023

Day 30: Local Record Stores
Please support your local record stores over evil corps and soulless online warehouses. Play something you bought in a record store you love.

Picked this up at Re-Animated Records on Friday. If you need anything horror movie related, they specialize in that too.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Live in Melbourne '21

1675101463910.png

Billy Bragg - Life’s A Riot With Spy Vs Spy

Phew! Caught up!

So I love my local record store. Really sound guys and get plenty of the good stuff in. They package like tanks and have really good shipping rates if any of you are looking for UK/EU stuff.

www.spindizzyrecords.com

Got this one from them on one the RSD drops last year.

The Budos Band
- Long in the Tooth

67FC3FF3-BD61-4131-ACEE-5F956D278E67.jpeg

Listen Records is my go-to for Daptone & Colemine indie-exclusive records along with the 45s both labels put out! Blackbyrd is a great shop if you’re looking for new records, Record Collector’s Paradise is pretty good if you’re looking for used/rare records, and Freecloud (my go-to for RSD before the pandemic) is just great altogether!

Please support your local record stores over evil corps and soulless online warehouses. Play something you bought in a record store you love.

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College

26EDD357-B4DB-4286-8747-3E6AB715B839.jpeg

While not exactly my local I do want to shout out the fine folks at Plaid Room - they always price items fairly and ship quickly, everything always packed like a tank. My most recent grab from them was the restock of Luther College, which they had priced at $74.99 whereas I saw it online at other stores for $100+.

Day 30: Local record stores

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

It's probably not my favourite local record store, but Sonic Boom is definitely the one I've bought the most records from and spent the most time browsing aimlessly and wasting time in in my life, mostly because its original location was super close to my university apartments and it's got probably the widest selection in the city.

PXL_20230131_023313659.jpg

Moor Mother – Analog Fluids Of Sonic Black Holes
20230130_195857.jpg

My Moor Mother collection has come from a nice mix of PIFs, gifts and independent sellers - my local, my semi-local, and a shop clear across the country that I've ordered from often! This particular one came from my local.

Bought this new at Lunchbox Records for $55 in days of yore before the record companies lost their minds and started charging a fortune for records and most folks lost their minds even more and still happily pay it...

Grateful Dead - Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It

20220507_000923.jpg

20230131_003505.jpg

Last edited:
Day 29: Jazz Sunday
Go on then, I’ll give all you Jazz nuts a yard, don’t go taking a mile…

The Comet is Coming - The Afterlife

20200330_110751-jpg.38568

Day 29: Jazz Sunday
Go on then, I’ll give all you Jazz nuts a yard, don’t go taking a mile…

I wasn't in the mood for jazz the last couple, so got held up on Sunday's challenge. But this Horace Silver Quintet was from @imajindat during Pifsgiving and it's a great listen so today I figured I'd give it another spin. Very upbeat and lovely piano injects itself at times to great effect.

IMG20230131123647.jpg

I actually finished spinning this one right before putting on the Horace because I couldn't wait. Got this one from a local and paid a bit too much (like everything in there), but it's for an undated repress that doesn't show up on discogs much and is slightly better sounding than the OG press I previously had. Either way, I love this record and missed having a copy.

Gentle Giant - Three Friends
IMG20230131120955.jpg

Thanks for putting this together with so little time @Joe Mac. Very much appreciated!

So here's how my selections ended up looking like... my all Funk & Soul & Adjacent January 2023. That was lots of fun!

chart.png

And because the selections are pretty tight, I went ahead and made a mix out of them. Because why not. Got in the habit last month and couldn't shake it just yet...

Back