January 2023 Spinning Challenge: Welcome To 2023

Day 2: Hangover
I suppose technically the hangover was yesterday but still. Play an album to soothe a well earned sore head!

Federico Albanese – Before And Now Seems Infinite
View attachment 162857

I can't even recall how I stumbled upon Albanese's The Blue Hour a few years back but he has fast become one of my favourite neo-classical artists. I'm still working my way into his latest, as it didn't hit quite as deeply or as immediately for me as his previous works so this is a great excuse to give it another spin.
You and @Ghost are killing me. Added to my queue....

Day 3

Makaya McCraven has become one of my
Most favorite artists in the last four years. This was my jumping on point, my love for International Anthem (through Jeff Parker) and the crew here talking it up got me to listen and then I bought it. It’s one of my most listened to records and I’ve become more fond of his work with each subsequent release. His work is jazz that is also archeological (even when it is his original work, like here)… he is taking the edge of music as presented by the hip hop producers and samplers and elevating it. I don’t think there is another artist working today who is as important. What he is doing is unique and will have reverberations for years to come.

3C1FFE70-4762-483D-956B-4C342C6DF454.jpeg
Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings

In stereotypical form, the in-laws are staying over an extra day. :cautious:

I'll start catching-up tomorrow when I get my man-cave back.
I kind of appreciate living in too small of a place to accommodate our families. Not that they'd ever come visit us, but still... Sometimes family love is best shared through a telephone.

Day 2: Hangover
I suppose technically the hangover was yesterday but still. Play an album to soothe a well earned sore head!

Disclosure - Settle

Sometimes the best cure for a hangover is to get the party started again. The 2nd worked better for me as hangover day anyways. I went much harder watching the Packers stomp the Vikings on NY day, then I did NYE. Worked til 10 on nye, took a gummy, and watched some Dolly & Miley with the gf, and passed out quickly after midnight.
20230103_112923.jpg

Day 3: Three is the Magic Number
Play a wonderful third album by an artist you love
PXL_20230103_202359706.jpg
Sugarman 3 & Co "Pure Cane Sugar" - third album from a band with the magic number 3 in the name! A nice mix of funky instrumentals and vocal tracks from a Daptone band that flys under the radar...

Day 3: Three is the Magic Number

While this is technically her 3rd album, I (and many others) feel like this should truly count as her 1st. This was the album where she found her style, independence and success. The album where she found… control.

Janet Jackson - Control

5F3A58DC-9CDD-4BC9-BD66-2E723E59539B.jpeg

Back