January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Thanks for hosting @avecigrec ! Great themes! Several difficult ones for me, but good challenges.

Here's what your challenge month looked like for me:

chart (3).png

Missing on day 28: Neil Swainson Quintet "49th Parallel".
Also, wrong album covers for VA "Abreast Of Soul" and VA "Big Lebowski OST".
To my surprise, my entrance theme 45 "Funky Sex Machine" was available. I appreciate their priorities.

Day 30: “Fuck it – let's go do it.”
On this day in 1969 The Beatles performed their rooftop concert at the Apple Corps headquarters. It was the final public performance of their career. Play an artist’s final performance or final album.

Pavement - Terror Twilight
C0AE61FE-3243-450D-B58C-ACFBEFA8DC48.jpeg

Pavement had one of the most perfect career discographies of any band. IMO they were 5/5 in releasing albums and while I would be happy to purchase a reunion album if they ever decided to release new material I am quite content with the band going out on a high note.

Day 31: New Moon
Play something about the moon.

The Men - New Moon
48804FD9-3261-47FD-8059-B129741D7A17.jpeg

The Men are a band that I absolutely love that feels like has just been doing their own thing for the past 15 years. They went from a band that was heavily influenced by early Sonic Youth and No Wave 80s underground to a band heavily influenced by Neil Young and everything in between. New Moon is a great name for this album because it’s a transitional record. Their Americana/Classic Rock influences start to take over the album in a way that had only been hinted at on their previous album, Open Your Heart and while this transition is a bit surprising it’s no less brilliant.

Day 31 - New Moon
{Twofer} Give a new (to you) record a first spin OR play something about the moon.

Finishing this month off with a new (to me) record that @debar22 sent me as part of the drawing for the December challenge. Was waiting for today to open/play it. Great upgrade to my thrift store copy!

Thanks for running this month @avecigrec , some great prompts!

Johnny Cash ~ At Folsom Prison (VMP Edition)

1643651382987.png

Day 31 - New Moon

{Twofer} Give a new (to you) record a first spin OR play something about the moon.

Jackie McLean - Destination… Out! (BN Classics reissue)

Finally got around to cleaning and giving a first spin. I have actually been streaming it a few times this week and love it. But the vinyl coming out of my big speakers sounds amazing. Thanks for a great challenge @avecigrec

IMG_0389.jpg

Day 31 - New Moon

New pickup - one of my favorite albums of 2021, freshly acquired at 50% off from the Rough Trade sale.

67551106-0AC4-457E-BFF8-CD981DA68F91.jpeg

I would call it an experimental dream pop album, but it’s hard to classify, as the poor soul who filled out the Discogs entry seemed to learn:
C44538AA-2BF7-4A9C-A133-7BA5700A1A22.jpeg

Back