January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 7 - We Miss You Neal

I could seriously post 30 records and still have to rule some out, but I'll present just two. Usually I'd go with John Bonham for this, definitely all time favorite, with Bruford being a close second. So influential for me.

But, Glen Hurley, man, when I first heard The Minutemen I so loved what he was doing...that timeframe coincided with a 90s band I was in that played funky punky rock. I borrowed so much from him. I love his creativity, dexterity and musicality. And he's perfect for that trio.

Levon is in his own category. Singing, playing, writing...and doing all of it so well...so many tools. So awesome.

mint.jpegband.jpeg

Day 7 - We Miss You Neal
Neal Peart passed two years ago today. Play something featuring top-tier drumming.

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

I especially love Jeremiah Green's drums on tracks like "Trucker's Atlas" and "Styrofoam Boots / It's All Nice on Ice, Alright."

20200623_140140-jpg.53401

Day 8 - A Starman Waiting in the Sky
{Twofer} Today would have been David Bowie’s 75th birthday. Play some Bowie or play something space-themed.

Let's do a bootleg double with some imaginary extra credit.

Bought this used at a record show during my college daze (80-84). A live Ziggy show from Santa Monica 1972 pressed on a bootleg label you could trust - Trade Mark Of Quality. They consistently released good stuff back in the heyday. This was an under the table record decades before the official hit the streets.

You got a celestial Bowie cover, a few space themed tunes and a bunch of period articles from the British music rag Melody Maker taped to the inside cover. The previous owner was passionate. Proud to carry that forward...

David Bowie - David Bowie

20220108_001826.jpg

20220108_001735.jpg

Last edited:
{Twofer} Today would have been David Bowie’s 75th birthday.
Big Bowie fan, I have chosen Black Star, have a bonus photo of my clear copy ordered the day before he died that I couldn't face opening (and still can't) it's strange how when someone you dont know dies it affects you (it maybe me)!!! I did buy another regular copy a few weeks after to play
20220108_091242.jpg20220108_091448.jpg

{Twofer} Today would have been David Bowie’s 75th birthday.
Big Bowie fan, I have chosen Black Star, have a bonus photo of my clear copy ordered the day before he died that I couldn't face opening (and still can't) it's strange how when someone you dont know dies it affects you (it maybe me)!!! I did buy another regular copy a few weeks after to play
View attachment 124227View attachment 124228

It's not just you...but I opened my clear copy I ordered from Barnes And Noble.

20220108_020226 (3).jpg

Day 1 - New Beginnings
Give a new (to you) record a first spin

I'm super late, let's try to catch-up.
I went to my usual record shop while I was visiting my parents and MAY have gotten carried away, so I have a few first spins available.
42281CBF-075F-484D-9C0D-1D62315589E0.jpeg
Let's start with:

Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson

76CEC5D9-7FBD-4762-8D9F-2E59B3BB24A6.jpeg

Edit: I just realized there are some PBC purchases on that stack, so I almost behaved myself at the shop! 😉

Last edited:
Day 1 - New Beginnings
Give a new (to you) record a first spin

I'm super late, let's try to catch-up.
I went to my usual record shop while I was visiting my parents and MAY have gotten carried away, so I have a few first spins available.
View attachment 124230
Let's start with:

Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson

View attachment 124231
I'm off to my first record shop visit this year so watch this space, I'm going to be a bit more selective this year (that will last until I get in the store as usual)

Today would have been David Bowie’s 75th birthday. Play some Bowie.

I think I'll be sticking with Bowie for the whole day...starting off with this one.

The cassette has a slight change of track order, swapping 1984 and Rebel Rebel.

Bowie – Diamond Dogs
RCA – CPK1-0576, 1974

4xuCLd.jpg

{Twofer} Today would have been David Bowie’s 75th birthday. Play some Bowie or play something space-themed.

Pretty sure there will be a lot of Bowie played today. Plus it was the 50th anniversary of Changes being released as a single on Jan 7. Quite a shift from that to Ziggy coming out less than 6 months later in early June 1972.

Bowie - Space Oddity 7in box set - Pretty sure this covers both aspects of today’s challenge
IMG_08_1028.jpg

Back