It's a Strange Paradise: Beach House and all things Dream Pop

wokeupnew

Figured we need a place to talk about the new Beach House songs since they're big enough to warrant their own thread. Also opening this up to Beach House adjacent and other Dream Pop bands.

What does everyone think of Chapter 2 that was released today?

Listening to it rn and honestly I really like the new batch of songs 🎵 😌 I love the production and how they are stretching their sound to new heights and towards more experimental territories.

Listening to it rn and honestly I really like the new batch of songs 🎵 😌 I love the production and how they are stretching their sound to new heights and towards more experimental territories.
it's definitely a much needed beat with the first two songs on this chapter. There's no way they could have continued in the same vein as the last 3 songs on chapter one. That's as perfect a sequence of 3 songs on any of their albums. After 3 listens through it's weaker than chapter one but not bad at all. In a couple of weeks I could be back on here saying it's better for all I know. These are definitely grower tracks.

it's definitely a much needed beat with the first two songs on this chapter. There's no way they could have continued in the same vein as the last 3 songs on chapter one. That's as perfect a sequence of 3 songs on any of their albums. After 3 listens through it's weaker than chapter one but not bad at all. In a couple of weeks I could be back on here saying it's better for all I know. These are definitely grower tracks.
I think Chapter 2 is equally as good as the first installment. Over and Over is insanely good. If they continue releasing danzling tracks like these, we may have ourselves an instant classic on our hands.

@wokeupnew what are your thoughts on Chapter 3?
First impression was that it's not as good as the ones that preceded it. But I'm on my third listen of it and its bound to grow on me. "Illusion of Forever" is my favorite so far. It sounds like something that could have fit on Depression Cherry, it's classic Beach House. "Only You Know" reminds me of M83 at times. "Masquerade"... I dunno. I never was a big fan of "Lemon Glow" from 7 because of the pop drum beats on that one. "Masquerade" is the same, it's different but sounds almost too poppy.

My overall favorite has changed from "Superstar" to now "Through Me". It has a memorable melody and nostalgic whimsy that a couple of other songs are missing. The one thing that I think a lot of new Beach House songs are missing is some jangle. One of my favorites from 7 was "Woo" because it has a repetitive guitar throughout that was reminiscent of some songs off "Bloom". I don't think that these songs are bad by any stretch but I miss the jangle.

I actually hadn’t heard the second volume yet until today. That said, the best new BH song I heard today was “Another Go Around,” which stunned me. “Masquerade” is also fantastic. Insta-favorites.

I listened to the first two chapters, but have decided to save the next two for when I get my copy on vinyl - or when it's all released so I can hear it all the way through. Definitely enjoyed the first two chapters, but I've tried not to listen to them too much.

It's OUT

I'm really, really liking this 4th chapter a lot.

I think if I had to rank them:

1. Chapter 1
  2. Chapter 4
  3. Chapter 2
  4. Chapter 3

I may wait until I receive the vinyl for listening to the whole thing, but Chapter 3 was probably my favorite of the first three so now I’m really excited.
It's crazy how much each chapter is hitting people differently. I've seen/heard many people say certain one are their favorite compared to others
Agreed on Chapter 4, especially the closing track 👌
Every single song on Chapter 4 is doing it for me. Finale, Hurts to Love. Many Nights sounds like another "On the Sea", it's ridiculously beautiful.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around approaching it as a full album listen as opposed to broken up into chapters. I have been listening to it today and am loving it so far. Still waiting for the vinyl to show up, which I'm sure will hit in a different way. But I only heard chapters 1 and 2 before today, and even then I only listened to them a couple of times. I didn't want to overdo it before the whole thing was out. I get why they released it this way though. It's a lot of stuff to dig into.

This textured cover is pretty neat on the Silver edition. So glad they didn't do another velvet one! It's crazy Beach House can sell this nice 2lp gatefold package for $25 still.

Edit: I guess it's not a gatefold, but still!

Last edited:
Just got my copy of Once Twice Melody. I got the gold box version. It's an incredible package. I didn't expect a box that opened like a book, so that was nice, and the large booklet is cool too. The posters...I don't think I'll actually hang up. But as a whole it's a really nice looking set. And so far it sounds perfect.

Just got my copy of Once Twice Melody. I got the gold box version. It's an incredible package. I didn't expect a box that opened like a book, so that was nice, and the large booklet is cool too. The posters...I don't think I'll actually hang up. But as a whole it's a really nice looking set. And so far it sounds perfect.
Yeah… the posters. I really don’t like the art direction that Beach House has been going in since “7”. It’s just kind of gaudy and overly “love” kitschy designs. Their recent merch designs are just terrible imo. The art book is a little better. It would have been cool if it was individual pieces like the TWFM box was.

Back