It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I like Luton’s keeper. I could see him moving onward and upward in the summer.

Mengi looks great too. He was always a talent and highly rated at untied but kept getting injured just as it looked like he was about to break through. Good to se him getting a run of games now.

From an Irish perspective Ogbene looks same as in internationals. Skilful, exciting, but erratic.

Pretty surprised by the poor atmosphere from the home fans though. I thought such a tight old traditional ground should be more intimidating. All the chants I can hear are united ones from the away fans.

Agreed. The entire system is much different here. The pay to play system definitely doesn’t help. I know MLS has created MLS Next Pro but I’m not sure if every MLS club has a Next Pro club. This system kind of undermines the USL tiers and even more now as MLS has pulled out of the US Open Cup tournament. But I think another factor is the difference in salary compared to Europe. If the MLS can ever get close enough, that could help amp things up.

I have a friend whose kid (8 year old) has just kind of entered the LAFC academy setup. Right now it’s run like a regional club team. I haven’t asked him if he has to pay for it. However all the lessons to get to this point he’s had to pay for.

I also have a coworker whose kid is in the Galaxy academy and is enrolled in their high school program. They actually take classes. It’s still a huge drain on family resources like time and money to travel to and from the academy.

I’ve also heard that a lot of kids of college age are simultaneously enrolled in college and play for MLS next.

Recently there have been some players on the Galaxy academy sold to other foreign teams.

I think the college model is dying out at least for soccer in this country.

Pay to play leaves soccer as an upper class sport and we don’t develop taller because of it. Also people in rec leagues are so focused on winning they don’t care about skill development. I had parents complaining a little that I wasn’t teaching positions of what to in a game for U7s. Man it’s just about learning how to coordinate your body and handle the ball at that age.

My son loves to play only because he loves running and enjoys physical contact (future CB probably) but honestly I can’t see me investing time and money into what amounts to as past time for him. If he wants to and someone wants to invest money in him, I’d be glad to do the rest.

I have a friend whose kid (8 year old) has just kind of entered the LAFC academy setup. Right now it’s run like a regional club team. I haven’t asked him if he has to pay for it. However all the lessons to get to this point he’s had to pay for.

I also have a coworker whose kid is in the Galaxy academy and is enrolled in their high school program. They actually take classes. It’s still a huge drain on family resources like time and money to travel to and from the academy.

I’ve also heard that a lot of kids of college age are simultaneously enrolled in college and play for MLS next.

Recently there have been some players on the Galaxy academy sold to other foreign teams.

I think the college model is dying out at least for soccer in this country.

Pay to play leaves soccer as an upper class sport and we don’t develop taller because of it. Also people in rec leagues are so focused on winning they don’t care about skill development. I had parents complaining a little that I wasn’t teaching positions of what to in a game for U7s. Man it’s just about learning how to coordinate your body and handle the ball at that age.

My son loves to play only because he loves running and enjoys physical contact (future CB probably) but honestly I can’t see me investing time and money into what amounts to as past time for him. If he wants to and someone wants to invest money in him, I’d be glad to do the rest.

That’s quite depressing given that the global spread of the game and its traditional working class roots are because the financial bar to entry is so low in comparison to pretty much every other sport. I suppose America is gonna America.

That’s quite depressing given that the global spread of the game and its traditional working class roots are because the financial bar to entry is so low in comparison to pretty much every other sport. I suppose America is gonna America.
You know what’s even more depressing. A parent texting me on Sunday asking me if I was canceling practice because there was a forecast for rain on Wednesday. I told them that all practices were canceled day of. At 3:45 when I get off work.

You know what’s even more depressing. A parent texting me on Sunday asking me if I was canceling practice because there was a forecast for rain on Wednesday. I told them that all practices were canceled day of. At 3:45 when I get off work.

It’s a European winter game. It’s better in the rain! Miles better in the rain…

Back