It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

If you’re doing one off, to get away from home advantage might something like the European trophies did during Covid work to get away from home advantage.

So pick a couple of stadiums in a big city, or a couple of big cities near to each other, and do a sort of short length neutral tournament?

I get two legs to counteract home advantage but best of 3 does seem gimmicky and drawn out.
Imagine being 3-0 down in game 1 with 20 mins left. What do you do? Pull all your best players? Imagine betting on a game and that scenario happens 😂.

To be clear, I really want MLS to succeed.
However, with 9 of 15 teams in each conference making the playoffs it renders the regular season almost meaningless. Then there is a one game wild card round followed by a best of 3 for one round!
It just seems so gimmicky. New and casual viewers are not going to understand what's going on.
Of course promotion and relegation plus a cup comp would be ideal but playoffs done right can be dramatic. One and done like the NFL should be the way to go.

It’s dumb. They just want more games to sell. They used to have home and away. That was good. Always got some exciting playoff games if the made it in.

I already think MLS is successful. They are transitioning from old man league to a springboard for players going to europe. That’s probably the most status they will ever get.

I like having a local team, soccer culture, and it’s nice the access you get to the players. They fill the stadiums and there is a good enough atmosphere at the games.

Honestly thought it was a harsh red, more of a yellow for me, but he did lash out so equally that can’t have cleared the clear and obvious hurdle for the VAR lads to get involved in the first place.
They bungled it no matter the result. I think Ziyech gets one for the first tackle then give him another for the shove in the face. They seemed to forget about the first tackle. Doesn’t matter anyways since Chelsea are terrible.

They bungled it no matter the result. I think Ziyech gets one for the first tackle then give him another for the shove in the face. They seemed to forget about the first tackle. Doesn’t matter anyways since Chelsea are terrible.

Yeah it’s weird but that never happens. Don’t ask me why or if it even makes sense but generally if they all happen before the referee gets involved it’s usually either a yellow or a red for one or the other. The second booking tends to happen if the ref books for the foul and then it kicks off and he deals with it again.

I’m not defending it or saying it’s right but it just seems to be the way it’s kinda always been for better or worse.

Back