Isn't it Ironic: The OG Thread

Russ I

Oh, how the pendulum swings.

It seems that among the ripples caused by the recent MoFi bomb is recognition of the potential for original pressings, from the time before digital, being sources of high-quality (and, of course, all-analog) listening experiences. What a fucking novel idea, and what a stick in the spokes of the heretofore steadily ascending reissue market. Michael at 45 RPM Audiophile has altered his approach to evaluating reissues and will now be trying to compare them to OG copies of the same titles. And within the ‘Definitive Audiophile Pressings’ thread on this board, seems that OG chatter is on the rise. It feels a bit like rediscovering the wheel, but yeah, if it’s now more clear than ever that “all-analog” is the holy grail, well, that shit’s been around for a while!

All of which leads me to think it’s high time we had a thread devoted to original pressings of albums released in the time before digital (or after that time if there’s reasonable evidence of all-analog production). The basic idea is to post here any original pressings you’ve listened to that you feel provide a great listening experience. Doesn’t have to be “the definitive” pressing (we have a thread for that), doesn’t have to be proven ‘better’ than other pressings, just should be something you think sounds good enough that it would be worth spreading the word to your fellow analog junkies.

I’ll start with this pressing of Moving Pictures by Rush. Sounds awfully good to me.

20220721_135816.jpg
76 JP press, not as crisp with the drums and cymbals as the recent remaster but to my ear has better staging and better mid-range and low end. Especially once you get past the first two tracks which are both good, but definitely muddier, which is really how they've always sounded so no surprise there. Battle Of Evermore is astonishing, as is pretty much every song that follows.

20220523_152316.jpg
Date is a little shakey on this one but somewhere around 81. Fantastic sound. Exactly how you want this one to sound, crisp clear great stage, don't need to look for another copy. Played for a friend who's used to me playing lots of Mofi and whatnot and his reaction was "Holy hell this sounds incredible."

20220613_212435.jpg
OG JP press, doesn't hit you in the chest QUITE as hard as the BG but absolutely smokes it in terms of fidelity and detail. Easy winner.

20220616_194859.jpg

JP press Oddity 76, Low 82. Both really solid detail, good low end. Oddity a bit less full than newer pressings but again, the detail and staging are just sublime on both and more than make up for it vs the newer ones.

View attachment 147526
76 JP press, not as crisp with the drums and cymbals as the recent remaster but to my ear has better staging and better mid-range and low end. Especially once you get past the first two tracks which are both good, but definitely muddier, which is really how they've always sounded so no surprise there. Battle Of Evermore is astonishing.

View attachment 147527
Date is a little shakey on this one but somewhere around 81. Fantastic sound. Exactly how you want this one to sound, crisp clear great stage, don't need to look for another copy. Played for a friend who's used to me playing lots of Mofi n and whatnot and his reaction was "Holy hell this sounds incredible."

View attachment 147529
OG JP press, doesn't hit you in the chest QUITE as hard as the BG but absolutely smokes it in terms of fidelity and detail. Easy winner.

View attachment 147528

JP press Oddity 76, Low 82. Both really solid detail, good low end. Oddity a bit less full than newer pressings but again, the detail and staging are just sublime on both and more than make up for it vs the newer ones.
Nice! And speaking of ironic, this could get expensive! ;)

I have a '77 Japan pressing of Low that's also top-notch.

Nice! And speaking of ironic, this could get expensive! ;)

I have a '77 Japan pressing of Low that's also top-notch.
Hahaha I don't think you'd need to get this one. It's good but I'm sure a 77 JP would be as good or better.

Funny thing is the only record I posted that's particularly expensive is that Wall. The rest of those were all around $45-50 before shipping for NM.

Was just listening to an OG pressing of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's Deja Vu and it sounds fantastic. Great separation, bass that can be felt, and all the intricate parts seem to have ample space within the mix. I'd been planning to buy the 2021 remaster, but I'm not sure what I'd gain.

Was just listening to an OG pressing of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's Deja Vu and it sounds fantastic. Great separation, bass that can be felt, and all the intricate parts seem to have ample space within the mix. I'd been planning to buy the 2021 remaster, but I'm not sure what I'd gain.

This is why I don't worry about it too much. Unless something is just inferior or a mess, I'm usually pretty happy with a nice clean, flat pressing free of noise. (I did preorder both Blue Train Tone Poets though).

20220801_214625.jpg
1976 JP press. Alas no Obi on this one. Great sound and presence. I prefer these earlier presses to the 2014 remasters due to the boosted treble in the remasters that I find a bit harsh. Although the 2014s really nailed Bonhams kick drum which these earlier ones tend to be a bit shy on.

Back