Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

If you see another (reasonable) copy floating around tell a friend.

Me. I'm that friend 👀

I ordered the My Iron Lung EP on Acoustic Sounds and didn't realize until later that it's not the full EP.

But, in subsequently listening to the B-sides on the other EPs, I discovered the magic of "Killer Cars (Mogadon Version)" on the Just EP. Never heard that one before!

All this talk of taking time to get into Kid A and such reminded me that a good while back I posted this in another thread (warning: personal reminiscing going on):

It's February 2001, and I'm a senior in high school, and my home life really, really sucks (short version- abusive stepmother). Things were just falling apart, but I had always lived in a crappy home situation and didn't really have a way of conceptualizing it. I was just doing my time until I could escape to college.

I had recently started my journey away from radio rock music with the pop punk wave cresting at the time, but I was early in my journey. I had a Target gift card someone gave me for my birthday, so I decided I wanted to go buy a CD. For no good reason that I recall, I ended up leaving with Radiohead's Kid A. I get in the car, pop it in, and think that I must have made a big mistake.

Thing is, I only had a dozen or so CDs at the time, so I kept giving it a try, and I started to like this or that track. One day, I had to go to some early-morning meeting, and I put it in again. It was the pre-GPS era, and I got good and lost as the sun started rising, and "The National Anthem" was playing, and Thom Yorke is crying out "holding on!" as the song descends into free-jazz chaos, and it clicked. This wasn't music snarling at what's wrong with life, like so much of the punk I liked (and still do!), this was music that was down in the same trench as I was, next to me. Then, "How to Disappear Completely" came on, and "I'm not here / This isn't happening" just wrecked me. I pulled over and just watched the sun rise over the desert, and listened to rest of the album while trying not to cry and failing. I never made it to the meeting, but I had a new favorite album.

Within weeks I had the rest of Radiohead's albums, and had discovered stuff like Sigur Rós, Elliott Smith, and Built to Spill, and my musical life changed. I know it has a reputation for being a cold or distant album, but Kid A was and is an emotionally resonant album for me.

What’s the chance of getting a clean good disc 1 of the In Rainbows box? I have a box with a bad disc one coming my way soon...but rest of it is in great shape supposedly...

The seller of my In Rainbows box sent me a tracking number through a foreign courier service but my American brain can't make heads or tails of what anything is, I appreciate the gesture but I still have no clue where it is 😂

Back