Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

Ugh, that is the most noticeable pressing defect to my ears. I feel like it would be especially noticableb on an album like Kid A
One thing you can do, which isn't ideal but it will work. Is figure out which side is the most off and then enlarge the spindle hole towards that direction so that you can seat the record towards the off centered section and it will spin with less cart movement. I've had to do this with one record in my collection and it basically cleared up the problem, but it ain't the prettiest looking thing.

Or just return it.

Ugh, that is the most noticeable pressing defect to my ears. I feel like it would be especially noticableb on an album like Kid A
One thing you can do, which isn't ideal but it will work. Is figure out which side is the most off and then enlarge the spindle hole towards that direction so that you can seat the record towards the off centered section and it will spin with less cart movement. I've had to do this with one record in my collection and it basically cleared up the problem, but it ain't the prettiest looking thing.

Or just return it.

It's the thing I will notice above all other defects as well. What Mather said works and I find off-centering tends to be relatively consistent across a run. I'm thinking I may just do this to Kid A if the other two discs are fine. Of course, if it's really bad then it's kinda too much hassle.

Or just return it.
Just curious, do you then clamp to make sure it stays put. Your description makes me think Spirograph.

Just curious, do you then clamp to make sure it stays put. Your description makes me think Spirograph.

I have a screw on clamp so everything just gets clamped, so yes I didn't think about that but yeah you'd have to. And yes the label looks like that for sure as it spins, but the outer grooves calm down and are much more even when they rotate.

I have a screw on clamp so everything just gets clamped, so yes I didn't think about that but yeah you'd have to. And yes the label looks like that for sure as it spins, but the outer grooves calm down and are much more even when they rotate.
With all your MacGyver tricks, I’m confused why you complain about records so much…. You should teach your techniques to the bad presses of the world.

Who's who in this duo? Are you Jay or Silent Bob? Can I be Brodie from Mallrats?
I mean… I’m a fat, bearded man who owns a black trenchcoat and a ball cap.

More importantly, are you implying that NightMather is not Jason Mewes?

I mean… I’m a fat, bearded man who owns a black trenchcoat and a ball cap.

More importantly, are you implying that NightMather is not Jason Mewes?
No he definitely is. I just feel like he and I are each an autonomous collective.
But that's probably wishful thinking.

Needle drop:
View attachment 116777
Silent dead wax, music comes in nicely. Slight edge warp, but you’ll notice… I’m playing with clamp. Slightly off center, but not to any degree that I’m gonna worry about it. (A lack of complete trimming at the edge would make this look worse than it is but the needle is only slightly drunk)
This is a good description. Mine is similar sans the warp. Not the best but also not trash. Probably better (less noisy than my 10” Capitol pressings) I would probably be better off investing in the 2x12 XL pressings but this will work in the meantime. The distortion on “How To Disappear Completely” is a bit of a bummer but it could be worse.

This is a good description. Mine is similar sans the warp. Not the best but also not trash. Probably better (less noisy than my 10” Capitol pressings) I would probably be better off investing in the 2x12 XL pressings but this will work in the meantime. The distortion on “How To Disappear Completely” is a bit of a bummer but it could be worse.
I've read the 2x12 have a lot of the same noise issues no?

I've read the 2x12 have a lot of the same noise issues no?
Yeah, non-fills seem to be the most common defect with those but if you find a clean copy (and it seems like Euro pressings may be cleaner) I think it would be the ideal way to listen to these albums. You get the inner groove distortion from from trying to stick too much music on each side.

I held off on replacing my 2x10” Capitol with the 2x12” XL because I knew these were coming. I doubt I will actively seek out the XL pressings but if I come across some at a good price I would probably pick them up.

Last edited:
Back