How many albums is enough albums in a collection?

Obviously related to the question guiding this thread: Do you ever buy records just because they're ridiculously (read that: LOW) priced? I just posted in the Online Vinyl Deals thread about a record by The Bushmen that's under $7 at Amazon. The music is interesting enough, but I know that if I bought this, it would be the "buliding a vinyl library" side of me taking that action, and not the "I buy what I'll listen to" side. Anyone else struggle to calm these competing inner voices?

Obviously related to the question guiding this thread: Do you ever buy records just because they're ridiculously (read that: LOW) priced? I just posted in the Online Vinyl Deals thread about a record by The Bushmen that's under $7 at Amazon. The music is interesting enough, but I know that if I bought this, it would be the "buliding a vinyl library" side of me taking that action, and not the "I buy what I'll listen to" side. Anyone else struggle to calm these competing inner voices?
I rationalize it as I have no problem spending $6-7 on a fluffed up cup of Starbucks coffee so I'm fine with doing the same on something I will get waaay more out of in the long run. And if it doesn't work out I can always get a few bucks for it or exchange it at my local.

Now if you're doing this for every sub $10 record then it may become a problem. I try to keep it within my genre taste with the occasional blind selection.

I have been doing so less simply because lack of space is a massive issue at the moment. However, there are still that I go for if its likely that I will get a lot of enjoyment with it.

To counter that though when it comes to carboot season I literally buy anything that I like the look of because I never pay more than a couple of quid. I know that if I run out of room and need to cull, I can essentially give those records away without taking a financial hit. Plus there's a chance that I strike gold and find an album that I really enjoy and gets played a lot.

I have been doing so less simply because lack of space is a massive issue at the moment. However, there are still that I go for if its likely that I will get a lot of enjoyment with it.

To counter that though when it comes to carboot season I literally buy anything that I like the look of because I never pay more than a couple of quid. I know that if I run out of room and need to cull, I can essentially give those records away without taking a financial hit. Plus there's a chance that I strike gold and find an album that I really enjoy and gets played a lot.
Ah......carboot season. Haha! I've long been envious of such a thing, which is unheard of in my neck of the woods. I'm sure I'd take the same approach.

And I think @Joe Mac's comment about being a music fan first and having the gear be an extension of making the music more enjoyable and NOT the main factor resonates true
When I didnt care about audio stuff I'd blast the ol' punk rock and would never dream of playing "Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark" or some crap. BUT turns out that stuff sounds awesome on a good system.... and now I like it.

And I like A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS too, there, I said it.

Just found this thread - nice discussion topic!

I’m at roughly 1200 according to Discogs and feeling like I’m hitting a limit, both in terms of storage space and ensuring the collection is all quality stuff I’ll return to instead of just “collectibles”. I have some (mostly VMP) FOMO purchases I’m just about ready to list for sale, but probably need to dump another 50-100 beyond those to feel better about it. Gonna be hard to figure out which ones though. 🤔

Just found this thread - nice discussion topic!

I’m at roughly 1200 according to Discogs and feeling like I’m hitting a limit, both in terms of storage space and ensuring the collection is all quality stuff I’ll return to instead of just “collectibles”. I have some (mostly VMP) FOMO purchases I’m just about ready to list for sale, but probably need to dump another 50-100 beyond those to feel better about it. Gonna be hard to figure out which ones though. 🤔
Ive reached a point where i can walk into a record store without anything i’m particularly looking for and just walk out without grabbing something.
Maybe that is the point of saturation ?
I do this all the time now.

I don’t think I buy for the sake of buying, I definitely walk out of the shop where so right for used treasure empty handed as often as I don’t.

But I definitely still have a lengthy list, despite my collection eating up one dedicated room for storage and starting to migrate into a couple others. Because my library has needs, man.

Ive reached a point where i can walk into a record store without anything i’m particularly looking for and just walk out without grabbing something.
I’ve done this many times. Sometimes when I go shopping with friends, I like to play the, get them to buy records while I don’t game. It’s pretty fun and I’m kind of good at it.

theworldmayneverknow-idk.gif

I do the same thing quite frequently, and leave record stores empty handed. This is due to me preordering the albums I want directly from the bands or labels or from other indie shops online that offer better pricing (and no sales tax). And some of the record stores by me are just way overpriced, especially on used titles.

Then again, if I lived near Plaidroom where they have an enormous, well-curated used section that is priced fairly, that would be another story. I would be broke. I have about 1325 albums, which for me is nearing the limit for storage space and time for me to listen to them all.

Then again, if I lived near Plaidroom where they have an enormous, well-curated used section that is priced fairly, that would be another story. I would be broke. I have about 1325 albums, which for me is nearing the limit for storage space and time for me to listen to them all.

I have lived in a dead zone for well stocked used rec shops forever. I’ve got to make some long road trips one of these days. Plaidroom is going to be a destination location. Not leaving empty handed.

I do the same thing quite frequently, and leave record stores empty handed. This is due to me preordering the albums I want directly from the bands or labels or from other indie shops online that offer better pricing (and no sales tax). And some of the record stores by me are just way overpriced, especially on used titles.

I'm finding the same thing with used records at local stores, they're charging more for a used copy than something I can buy new with the same pressing. Went to three stores yesterday and didn't pick up a thing.

I'm finding the same thing with used records at local stores, they're charging more for a used copy than something I can buy new with the same pressing. Went to three stores yesterday and didn't pick up a thing.
My opinion of some local shops here, but yeah, why would I spend $28 on a beater copy of Headhunters when I can buy the Analogue Productions version for $35? Probably most of their customer base isn't head down in vinyl forums looking for deals, reading deadwax, and researching the best pressings. Ha ha.

I do have one local shop that specializes in jazz and their prices are always fair. I buy a lot of albums from them. Seems like it'd be better to move more product and have return customers than to squeeze every single penny out of an album, but that's just my opinion.

My opinion of some local shops here, but yeah, why would I spend $28 on a beater copy of Headhunters when I can buy the Analogue Productions version for $35? Probably most of their customer base isn't head down in vinyl forums looking for deals, reading deadwax, and researching the best pressings. Ha ha.

I do have one local shop that specializes in jazz and their prices are always fair. I buy a lot of albums from them. Seems like it'd be better to move more product and have return customers than to squeeze every single penny out of an album, but that's just my opinion.
Yup. Seems like everyone is baselining at Discogs pricing, which is disappointing. Takes the fun out of digging through stacks if I know I can just order it up at the same price everywhere.

Back