How many albums is enough albums in a collection?

Obviously we all will differ in our thinking about just how far we have to go to reach the point where we are satisfied with that gear, but to me, it sure feels like the "urges" (for lack of a better word) that compel me to care about the gear are complexly interwoven with those that help me hit the 'purchase' button for records.
Valid point, I know this has come into play for me and has been a direct impact on my buying choices. The biggest "issue" I've noticed is the "popped balloon" I experience when really excited to get album X, tossing it on the turntable and being left meh over what it sounds like.

Connecting the gear to the music, in my opinion, is symbiotic so to speak. There are album, songs, that have an impact on the listener beyond just the lyrics. The arrangement, the power behind said arrangement, how it hits you in the chest. When that's lacking it's not only disappointing, but a disservice, if you will, to the music. This part alone has fueled the "quality over quantity" mantra and since all my favorite albums don't have quality pressings, we either pass on vinyl or pick up the CD if I just gotta have it.

Valid point, I know this has come into play for me and has been a direct impact on my buying choices. The biggest "issue" I've noticed is the "popped balloon" I experience when really excited to get album X, tossing it on the turntable and being left meh over what it sounds like.

Connecting the gear to the music, in my opinion, is symbiotic so to speak. There are album, songs, that have an impact on the listener beyond just the lyrics. The arrangement, the power behind said arrangement, how it hits you in the chest. When that's lacking it's not only disappointing, but a disservice, if you will, to the music. This part alone has fueled the "quality over quantity" mantra and since all my favorite albums don't have quality pressings, we either pass on vinyl or pick up the CD if I just gotta have it.
Daft question, but other than the best pressings thread, how do you know if an album is going to sound "good"? Do you buy it, test it and sell it if it sucks, or do you wait and buy after a few folk have tested it? Just interested in your process...

I used to think that there was never going to be a top end number for me. Like a house lined with wall to wall books and records was the eventual plan.

But times change. Life changes. And plans change. We reevaluate our position based upon these changes as our priorities of what’s important for us in life transitions. I’m at the point in my life where I think <400 is the right place for me. Allows me to curate some of my favorites, some collectibles, and some pure vibe albums. Small enough to pack up and move often and/or place in storage if I ever jet off to some grand adventure.

But who knows? I’m sure it will change again. But I love reading the replies in this conversation.

20 years or so into collecting and I’ve topped out currently at about 1200. My collection mostly takes up a full wall of our apartment’s living room. Luckily, my wife loves records and doesn’t have a problem with my collection at this point. Hopefully soon, we’ll find a house with more space but at this point, I don’t have a cap. I was a perpetual whittler of the collection pre-pandemic but haven’t done a purge in over a year. Not sure I even care to going forward so long as space isn’t an issue.

I’ve been really dealing with this as of late. I have moved past my available storage and have some records floor stacked (but upright between two furniture pieces). I know I need to downsize. The thought of dealing with selling them is what is holding me back from doing what needs to be done. My collection has a lot of FOMO filler from my time with VMP and on the old place before the move here. By my estimation I need to cull a solid 200+ records from the collection that would bring me back down to right around 500.

It’s just such a daunting task to actually embark on.

I fully agree it doesn’t take a huge collection to really enjoy it and/or music in general. Especially these days when you can stream on demand almost anything.

That said, it is really enjoyable to have a larger collection that you have accumulated over a long period of time if you have the space. You pull out a record you got years (decades) ago and you subtly relive a moment in your past. You put on a new version of an old favorite and can also pull out and compare other versions. You form new connections with new bands or music genres as the collection grows...etc.

While streaming means you don’t have to buy music the internet has made the hobby of collecting physical music infinitely more enjoyable. Being able to easily discover and buy music from all over the world regardless to where you live. Band’s social media and webstores. Databases like Discogs so you have detailed info on all the various pressings. Forums like this one where we can connect. All really good.
What do you mean by different versions? There are a few records I have that I would like a better copy of - Dark Side of the Moon for example. I’d like an og mix of SGT Pepper’s to go with my Mono and Giles mix, but I can’t imagine just having different pressings of the same record.

Daft question, but other than the best pressings thread, how do you know if an album is going to sound "good"? Do you buy it, test it and sell it if it sucks, or do you wait and buy after a few folk have tested it? Just interested in your process...
It's a lot of what's discussed here along with some blind faith, which at times, even from companies that usually deliver, fall flat. The best you can do is push the odds in your favor, reputable companies, known "magicians"...............cough, cough, KG, cough ;)

I gotta be honest, aside from all the good natured ribbing that goes on around here, we have a pretty diverse group who's overall evaluation of a lot of albums I trust, so kudos to everyone who contributes making the choices easier and the information plentiful.

I don't get much new, but sometimes a clean OG is the best route with some albums.

If we're talking about new music, I think it's a bit of a crapshoot. But when it's music that's been around for a while, through multiple represses, remasters, etc., one source of relevant info is discogs, where often you can find 'reviews' of different entries for particular titles. If I see overwhelming evidence for a particular pressing sounding very good, that's helpful for purchasing decisions. And of course vice versa, which happens often, where I see a great price on a record only to find that the consensus is the pressing sucks.

What do you mean by different versions? There are a few records I have that I would like a better copy of - Dark Side of the Moon for example. I’d like an og mix of SGT Pepper’s to go with my Mono and Giles mix, but I can’t imagine just having different pressings of the same record.
I sniff a contradiction! ;) Striving for "better" copies of an album often leads to owning different pressings of the same record, or copies of the same pressing that might be different conditions. Then, once you have those different pressings/copies, you're set with the task of determining whether the most recently purchased is indeed 'better' than the one you already owned. And what if it's not completely cut-and-dried? And what happens when you decide to grab yet another version of that same title, just, ya know, to see if maybe it sounds better than the other two you already have? So as long as you're good with the idea of seeking out a better copy of something in your collection, the potential is there for having different pressings of the same record. (Or at least that's how it has worked for me!)

I’ve been really dealing with this as of late. I have moved past my available storage and have some records floor stacked (but upright between two furniture pieces). I know I need to downsize. The thought of dealing with selling them is what is holding me back from doing what needs to be done. My collection has a lot of FOMO filler from my time with VMP and on the old place before the move here. By my estimation I need to cull a solid 200+ records from the collection that would bring me back down to right around 500.

It’s just such a daunting task to actually embark on.

It is, and while I didn’t cull close to that much I did get rid of a big proportion of VMP records. The other positive there was that they, for some mad reason, hold and increase their value. I have found selling them on Discogs to be pretty easy and rewarding. That said me being me I did reinvest that money in more records, but they were at least better records and/or better pressings of records!

I sniff a contradiction! ;) Striving for "better" copies of an album often leads to owning different pressings of the same record, or copies of the same pressing that might be different conditions. Then, once you have those different pressings/copies, you're set with the task of determining whether the most recently purchased is indeed 'better' than the one you already owned. And what if it's not completely cut-and-dried? And what happens when you decide to grab yet another version of that same title, just, ya know, to see if maybe it sounds better than the other two you already have? So as long as you're good with the idea of seeking out a better copy of something in your collection, the potential is there for having different pressings of the same record. (Or at least that's how it has worked for me!)

When I’ve bought a second copy as an upgrade I’ve always compared the two and sold/PIFed the other. I have no need for two pressings of the album unless they’re a hugely important artist to me and an album has different mixes.

Last edited:

I have different pressings of a fair # of albums. Sometimes just a different colorway. More Often an older original pressing and a newer repress or audiophile version. And then there are favorites like Tracy Chapman S/T. :). It just depends on how you want to taylor your collection. All good. Eventually I will need to downsize.

Also, sometimes lately I’ve bought 2 copies on preorder in case one is damaged in the mail. Getting replacements is an issue and shipping damage is a killer.

Last edited:
Back