How Does It Feel (To Post About R.E.M.)?

I don’t like the remixed Kenneth.

There.

I’ve said it.

Pointless. Give it more balance or distort it more but taking out those tremolo guitar parts?

I like the sound of Monster. It’s an Iggy Pop album performed by R.E.M. i’ll get the reissue, it’s £5 more for the 2 disc version but i’m Leaning towards the single disc unless the other remixes do something special

And no one has mentioned Tongue. Monster’s most magical song and one of the most underrated tracks in all their discography

I don’t like the remixed Kenneth.

There.

I’ve said it.

Pointless. Give it more balance or distort it more but taking out those tremolo guitar parts?

I like the sound of Monster. It’s an Iggy Pop album performed by R.E.M. i’ll get the reissue, it’s £5 more for the 2 disc version but i’m Leaning towards the single disc unless the other remixes do something special

And no one has mentioned Tongue. Monster’s most magical song and one of the most underrated tracks in all their discography
Agreed times a million about Tongue. It’s so special to me.

I like the remixes of let me in and strange currencies. Crush with eyeliner not so much

I had the same feeling up till king of comedy and thought it fitted much betterafter that
i had started it this morning and i just didn't have the time to really give it a chance. i will totally dive into it probably next week.

These remixes make me really appreciate the original versions. All the original choices were the right ones. If that was the intention then well done Scott Litt. Reveal might benefit from this pared down sound more than Monster does

I also thought they were fine. Like the Star Wars sequels. Pointlessly fine.

I don't know about this take for a few reasons:

1. "I Don't Sleep I Dream" - the emphasis on re-equalization gives the guitars a lot more clarity and makes it sound heavier. Also much prefer this ending to the original
2. "Star 69" - now that I can understand the lyrics, I like this song a lot more
3. "Strange Currencies" - if released in this form 25 years ago, it would have been a massive hit. Somehow it's quieter where it should be quieter and much louder where it should be louder
4. "Bang And Blame" - having the drums drop out for the electronic percussion to be more prevalent clearly gives this song a definitive bridge instead of a meandering middle section that sounds like a lost verse
5. "Circus Envy" - this was my favorite song on the album 25 years ago, and the remix only enhances how damn good it actually is! Re-eq-ing the distorted bass that ran through the original version to be more guitar-like was absolutely a wise choice and the song no longer sounds muddy. Plus, his lyrics are so clear and so damn good... I don't know, a win all around on this song in particular for me. [Does anyone else get a weird B52's vibe from this one?]

Overall, these remixes have made me hear this album, even its original version, in a brand new way and gave me deeper understanding and love for these songs.

Back