How do you Organize!

Well...I started something here. I'll be keeping jazz together, classical separate too. Then everything else alphabetically the Discogs way.
I'll be making a pile to sell as well, time for that purge I've been considering.
I have beer, food, and smoke. This will be fine.

View attachment 20099

Where did you get your tall brown bookcase from? I like this look, and I appreciate that the turntable fits so nicely on that shelf.

Just a question for all you weirdos on Discogs/First Name sorting. Were you all on first name terms with all these artists? Because despite not being a heathen my mind immediately goes Dylan/Bowie/Hendrix etc, not Bob/David/Jimi etc.

Librarian by trade and I have worked in libraries since 1988. I file by genre and by band or last name. Any other method has been beaten out my head.

You keep filing your way while I pretend everything is nice and ordered in mine.

Within the artist I have a strict filing order: first chronological by either copyright or recording date, then live albums then comps. Compilations that cover specific times are a whole different kettle of fish.

You guys are all doing this the hard and ugly way. The easiest method and certainly the most pretty is to arrange by spine color in the sequence that matches a rainbow.
I helped set up community libraries in the 90s. Because of space constraints some libraries shelved books based on size, and I remember one that shelved books based on colour. It was very pretty.

I helped set up community libraries in the 90s. Because of space constraints some libraries shelved books based on size, and I remember one that shelved books based on colour. It was very pretty.

Actually, if you have a LOT of books, the best way to accommodate them is by size. I've worked in small libraries and now I work at the National Library, and it would be a suicide to use any method that is not size. If you're under 30k, you can accommodate by Dewey or even alphabetical order. More than that, go by size.

I've started buying some tango albums (mostly on cd because Argentina is of course a third world country) and I have doubts about where to place some of them. It's very common that tango bands (they're actually called Orquesta) goes with the full name, like Orquesta Fernandez Fierro. It's like saying John Doe Band, but in Spanish Band is the first word. would you take it in consideration so all the Orquestas are together?

Oooo a filing question. Not being a Spanish speaker, my gut would say to ignore Orquesta. My logic is I file all Miles Davis releases under his name, ignoring Quintet, Sextet etc

Guess I'm a lot closer to the librarians than Discogs! Currently I have my records organized in multiple categories including prog/psych rock, indie/current, rock, jazz, singer/songwriter/folk, 80's (which somehow makes sense to me based on a sort of post-disco sound), and blues. Within category, it's alphabetized by last/band name.

Shit, right now I am organized by the shelf under the table that used to be now listening and is now have listened, the bookshelf which is new arrivals still listening, the new arrivals unwashed on top of the bookshelf, the why the hell do I still have this I'd give it away for free if anyone would take it pile under the computer, the box of I can't get rid of it but I'll probably never spin again, and the box of well this is too valubale to touch again but I'm not selling it either.

Shit, right now I am organized by the shelf under the table that used to be now listening and is now have listened, the bookshelf which is new arrivals still listening, the new arrivals unwashed on top of the bookshelf, the why the hell do I still have this I'd give it away for free if anyone would take it pile under the computer, the box of I can't get rid of it but I'll probably never spin again, and the box of well this is too valubale to touch again but I'm not selling it either.
I love it! So the real question is, where do the "used to be now listening and is now have listened" go next?!

I love it! So the real question is, where do the "used to be now listening and is now have listened" go next?!
I don't see them moving from there any time soon. I guess whenever I make some new shift in my "organization" and start looking through them to see how they would split up out of there. The real question is what happens when the bookshelf catching the new arrivals still listening fills up (about 85% full now). I'd like to think that would prompt a reorganization effort but I think the truth is I'll just start another collection eslewhere and it will become an extension of the shelf you just asked me about.

I like that different methods make sense for everyone. Just know if you're coming over to my house, you might find Jimmy Page, Jimmy Buffett, or Jimi Hendrix!

Back