How do you Organize!

here's some blaspheme- I also do the alphabetical name/discogs order mostly, but individual artists are put under what ever I personally refer to them as- David Bowie is under Bowie, Britney Spears is under Britney. Jimi Hendrix is Hendrix, Elton John is Elton.

I'm the only one who needs to find things, and don't mind being an organizational heretic.

here's some blaspheme- I also do the alphabetical name/discogs order mostly, but individual artists are put under what ever I personally refer to them as- David Bowie is under Bowie, Britney Spears is under Britney. Jimi Hendrix is Hendrix, Elton John is Elton.

I'm the only one who needs to find things, and don't mind being an organizational heretic.
This is pretty much my method as well. I occasionally find an artist in both places. I’ve become more and more at peace with it. I really appreciate artists who make the extra effort to have their first and last names start with the same letter.

The Discogs way of alphabetizing by first name is not all that crazy. That’s how everything was alphabetized when I was growing up in Brazil (it may still be).

That being said, for the most part I don’t use any kind of alphabetical order to organize. Instead, my +/- 900 records are separated into sections: rock/pop, soul/funk/R&B/hip hop, jazz, blues, classical, plus a crate of Brazilian music and two crates of prog/hard rock/metal (i.e. the stuff my wife doesn’t want to hear so I have it stashed in the basement to listen to while playing with my son). Out of all of those sections, only jazz is alphabetized (by last name).

The other sections are in a rough chronological/musicological order that only makes sense in my head. I came up with this method when I used to have two turntables as my main listening set up, at which time I found useful to have artists I associate with each other close together in case I wanted to stick to a certain vibe for DJ sets. Within each artist, I follow chronological order of release (with some flexibility allowed for live albums, compilations, or “lost albums”).

I have reorganized my records multiple times over the past few years and this is the system that works best for me, which ultimately is what each of us wants.

Apparently I have NOT been following Discogs to a tee as I don’t have my numbered artists like 10,000 Maniacs or 7 Seconds at the beginning of my collection before the As.
FML

Amen to this.

How do you store your 10 inch records? Separately or mixed in with the 12 inch records?

I used to store 10" separately but realized I never really listened to them so I mixed them in last month. They catch me off guard sometimes but I definitely prefer to have them in there with the 12". 7" I still store separately though.

Im thinking of doing a little reorganising today as it really bothers me when my genres end up on two different rows of shelves! My biggest genres (out of 20 ive kept to) are Indie (9 cubes), Rock(9 cubes) and Folk (4 cubes) so gonna have to move stuff around. I have a 4x4 kallax and a 5x5 kallax with 9 empty cubes at the moment so have breathing space

Back