Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

On our inaugural visited New Orleans the year following Katrina we stopped into Tujague’s bar on a slow night and It was basically me, my girlfriend and a very skilled bartender. He ended up making us a few cocktails. At the time I was still fairly young, more accustomed to bartenders whose idea of a mixed drink was red bull and vodka as opposed an actual mixologist. When he asked me what I would like, I ordered an Old Fashioned (Probably because bar seemed timeless, the type of place Don Draper would have had a drink) but then he got specific and asked what type Whiskey I assumed bourbon was ideal but he said it was more regional and New Orleans is big on Rye. So, gave that a shot and found I preferred the rye to the usual bourbon. I think the spicy rye taste compliments the Sweetness of the cocktail. Give it a shot, you may enjoy it.
Didn't feel like a New Orleans Sazerac? Love those. I need to make it to New Orleans to try one there.

Last night was the first time I've listened to Springsteen's Born to Run album beginning to end. What a weird album! I spent the weekend watching 15 hours of J-Pop/metal fusion sung by Japanese teenagers with choreographed dance moves, so my threshold for "weird" is pretty high. Born to Run was weirder to me than that.

Last night was the first time I've listened to Springsteen's Born to Run album beginning to end. What a weird album! I spent the weekend watching 15 hours of J-Pop/metal fusion sung by Japanese teenagers with choreographed dance moves, so my threshold for "weird" is pretty high. Born to Run was weirder to me than that.

Weird? Really? It’s pretty straight up rock n roll, isn’t it?

I saw a quote where Bruce described the sound he was going for as Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan as produced by Phil Spector. I think he accomplished that sound. But, as I was listening, getting into the gritty emotional vocals of it with a soaring wall of sound...Boom! Saxophone!...but the saxophone was like a combination of late 50s rock saxophone (like the yaketty yak stuff?) with some jazz/adult contemporary riffs?

I’ve been listening to a lot of mid-late 60s stuff and early 70s hard rock, but I hadn’t explored much of the Neil Diamond or James Taylor stuff. Maybe if I had that background it wouldn’t be so weird, if I had heard previous fusions. My rock path was 50s rockabilly, 60s psych rock and blues rock and Motown, early metal and hard rock....then boom, freaking Springsteen.

TLDR: it was weird to me because it felt like a fusion of Motown, late 50s rock and roll, smooth jazz, and a layer of grit.

Confession: That song that got the record of weeks in #1 position in charts? That song that the singer is a rapper who came out a few weeks ago? Do you know which song I'm talking about?
Good, because I don't know its name and I've never listened to it and I'm ok with that.

Love Actually is probably my favorite Rom Com that I've seen.

So last Christmas, I watched this with my girlfriend as it's a bit of a holiday tradition for her. I watched it years and years ago, and thought it was sort of OK.

It is not sort of OK. It is not a good movie at all. It has some great bits, but boy is it a mess.

For Christmas time-based rom-coms, I will take The Holiday every single time.

Back