Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

This is not a warble.

But maybe not raspy either - gravely?

I hear some vocal strain when she really pushes her vocals but In comparison, Bryan Adams sounds like he is shredding his vocal cords when he whispers. I love Francis’s voice and it’s super unique I just wouldn’t describe it as raspy.

I may just have a narrower definition of raspy than others.

Last edited:
I hear some vocal strain when she really pushes her voices but In comparison, Bryan Adams sounds like he is shredding his vocal cords when he whispers. I love Francis’s voice and it’s super unique I just wouldn’t describe it as raspy.

I may just have a narrower definition of raspy than others.
Janis Joplin is the first singer I think about when I hear raspy. At least that's what her voice was always described as. So anything close to her style of singing I just assume is raspy.

I don’t know if you have given the new Big Thief album a go yet but This one is much less samey than their previous albums.
I keep wanting to give it a chance but I admit that the runtime keeps scaring me away. I'm not necessarily against long albums, but given my post above, I feel like I need to prepare myself for 80 straight minutes of Big Thief.

To Big Thief fans, I am sure. I could say the same thing about Death Grips' The Powers That B, but how many people who struggled to get through a 40-minute Death Grips album would willingly sign up for 80 straight minutes of them?
But I was not a Big Thief fan until I heard this new record. I started off with track one and would have happily turned it off had I’d have grown bored at any point but instead I found it enthralling all the way through.

Last edited:
But I was not a Big Thief fan until I heard this new record. I started off with track one and would have happily turned it off had I grown bored at any point but instead I found it enthralling all the way through.
I will listen to it eventually. I'm open to liking Big Thief, like I said earlier, I enjoy plenty of their songs individually. I hope this new one converts me as well!

Big Thief are truly good, kind people. this doesn't mean you have to like their music at all, of course. but in regards to their seeming wholesomeness or any of that- they have been exactly as they seem for the entire time I've known them, no pretension.

those who were won over by their live presence probably can see that bleed through. I've witnessed it stop other artists in their tracks for sure.

*** oops sorry this is the hot takes thread??? it has been not very spicy, such measured discussion. don't know if I am impressed or dismayed.

AFI makes me want to light myself on fire. I love Tame Impala but I do not want to see them again live any time soon because it is getting snoozy. U2's catalogue is forever as bloviated as Bono's ego. Ja Rule makes me shrivel into a husk of human when someone drops one of his old tracks @Jonathan Y

I'll come back after coffee with something that hasn't been said before maybe.

Last edited:
...left me completely whelmed. The definition of ok...

That's how I've been feeling about pretty much everything I'm hearing these days.

Everything is kind of safe and golf clap worthy,
Its all well executed and listenable but there's nothing that's blowing the doors wide open for me.

Maybe I've just blown out my dopamine receptors.

That's how I've been feeling about pretty much everything I'm hearing these days.

Everything is kind of safe and golf clap worthy,
Its all well executed and listenable but there's nothing that's blowing the doors wide open for me.

Maybe I've just blown out my dopamine receptors.

I went through a period of feeling like this. Everything I heard was good but not meaningful. I think it comes with experience. It’s harder to find something that blows you away when you’ve heard it all.

I've been trying to think of some hot takes that aren't talking shit on someone ...here's what I have so far:
  • Skynyrd is the best American classic rock band.
  • August and Everything After is one of the best albums of the 90s. It's near perfect.
  • Country music is at a peak at the moment.
  • The quality and ingenuity in music has not declined at all in the past ~2 decades. The means to make quality sounding music being more accessible and the more platforms available than ever have made it harder to find the quality, but it's there. I don't subscribe to the old-man takes (that I don't really see here specifically) that music was just better in my day.
  • I've been in denial about this for a while and would love for someone to prove me wrong but I think what everyone thinks of as "rock" music is dead

I've been trying to think of some hot takes that aren't talking shit on someone ...here's what I have so far:
  • Skynyrd is the best American classic rock band.
  • August and Everything After is one of the best albums of the 90s. It's near perfect.
  • Country music is at a peak at the moment.
  • The quality and ingenuity in music has not declined at all in the past ~2 decades. The means to make quality sounding music being more accessible and the more platforms available than ever have made it harder to find the quality, but it's there. I don't subscribe to the old-man takes (that I don't really see here specifically) that music was just better in my day.
  • I've been in denial about this for a while and would love for someone to prove me wrong but I think what everyone thinks of as "rock" music is dead
These last two kinda conflict though but whatever, it's the hot takes thread. maybe they aren't even hot takes. lukewarm takes.

I've been in denial about this for a while and would love for someone to prove me wrong but I think what everyone thinks of as "rock" music is dead
Yup, It’s the new Jazz music. There will always be an audience for Rock & Roll but it’s popularity reached its peak in the 70s and plateaued until the early 90s where it bagan it’s decent. Rock won’t ever die completely but the era of Rock & Roll as a cultural zeitgeist has passed.

Last edited:
Yup, It’s the new Jazz music. There will always be an audience for Rock & Roll but it’s popularity reached its peak in the 70s and plateaued until the early where it bagan it’s decent. Rock won’t ever die completed but the era of Rock & Roll as a cultural zeitgeist has passed.

giphy.gif

Back