Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I said it over in the New Music Friday thread, but I'll be a little more inflammatory here. The new Beach House is fine if you want sleepy time Pet Shop Boys.
I get there's such a thing as mood music but Beach House really are a baffling phenomenon to me. I guess it's just one of those things where you either get it or you don't, but I struggle to think of many other bands with such high acclaim that make such low-key samey sounding music. I'm not trying to shit on people who like them or anything, I just genuinely don't understand what people are hearing in them to merit all the rapturous praise.

So I used to think I liked Cigarettes After Sex. I own two of their albums. Hadn’t listened to them in ages. Cued them up the other day. It offended every sense I have to the point that I have no fucking idea what kinda shit for brains I had a few years back…

I get there's such a thing as mood music but Beach House really are a baffling phenomenon to me. I guess it's just one of those things where you either get it or you don't, but I struggle to think of many other bands with such high acclaim that make such low-key samey sounding music. I'm not trying to shit on people who like them or anything, I just genuinely don't understand what people are hearing in them to merit all the rapturous praise.
Ye is here to try and change that for you. :rolleyes:

Ye is here to try and change that for you. :rolleyes:

Hey, who knows, maybe more hip-hop collaborations will be what it takes. The Beach House sample in Kendrick's "Money Trees" goes hard.

The Weeknd and Childish Gambino also sampled Beach House tracks early in their career.
Yeah, forgot about the Weeknd one but that's also a good one. I can see why their music might lend itself well to sampling, they definitely know how to create "vibes". I want to be clear I don't really have anything against Beach House and can respect they crafted their own lane for themselves, but I've tried on multiple occasions to get the hype and I'm just left scratching my head every time. They're clearly good at what they do, I just have to assume what they do isn't for me.

Have you guys tried listening to Beach House at an actual beach house though?

In all seriousness, the only album of theirs that I really got into is Teen Dream. And I never went out of my way to see them live, but I did happened to walk by the tent where they were performing at Bonnaroo one year and caught the very last song of their set and was very impressed (and also surprised at how loud it was). I learned that day that their albums benefit from being blasted quite loudly, so my advice is to turn it up the next time you check out one of their albums.

@Hollywood recommended to me the Aussie indie rock group Gang of Youths with their new album from yesterday, angel in realtime. I'd not heard of the band until now. Very much enjoying the album! The vocalist immediately reminded me of someone, and all I can hear is Neil Diamond. Anyone else??
Gang of Youths is male HAIM. But uninteresting.

I said it over in the New Music Friday thread, but I'll be a little more inflammatory here. The new Beach House is fine if you want sleepy time Pet Shop Boys.
OMG - yes a kindred spirit. I thought there was something wrong with me - I just don't get Beach House.

Got their Devotion album when I joined VMP a few years back. Played it more than a couple of times. Just left me cold.

Another band in that category for me is the War on Drugs.

(I like them fine.)

Another band in that category for me is the War on Drugs.

(I like them fine.)
WOD took me a minute. I never got the hype for 5 years after Lost In The Dream was released, then one day it all clicked and I fell hard. That has happened to me on several occasions. Off the top of my head, I recall having equally revelatory moments with Songs: Ohia, Brightblack Morning Light, and The Microphones, I think sometimes you have to be in the right head space to receive and appreciate some types of music. That why I try to never fully writ off a band or album especially when they are highly regarded by friends and critics alike.

Last edited:
We can add Big Thief to Shovels & Ropes and Beach House to my list of bands that on paper should be my thing, but aren't. With them, I actually kind of want to like them but don't.

I would just like someone to explain the critical acclaim heaped upon them [Big Thief / Beach House]. Maybe I need to spend more time with them to understand.

They seem to be putting out pretty solidly listenable releases within the sphere of their individual micro-genres covered by the "indie" umbrella (BT: indie rock/folk; BH: indie dream pop/shoegaze) - if that's the sound you are in to.

But I haven't heard something equivalent to Pretty Hate Machine in 1989, the Chronic in 1992, Kid A in 2000, etc. Something that's capable of pushing through to the culture at large or worthy of garnering the kind of "you gotta listen to this!" reactions coming at me from everywhere.

But then again, I'm not a genius like Kanye. I'm just Annie in Miranda Priestly's office watching as everyone chooses which color blue I'm going to wear. :rolleyes:

I would just like someone to explain the critical acclaim heaped upon them [Big Thief / Beach House]. Maybe I need to spend more time with them to understand.

They seem to be putting out pretty solidly listenable releases within the sphere of their individual micro-genres covered by the "indie" umbrella (BT: indie rock/folk; BH: indie dream pop/shoegaze) - if that's the sound you are in to.

But I haven't heard something equivalent to Pretty Hate Machine in 1989, the Chronic in 1992, Kid A in 2000, etc. Something that's capable of pushing through to the culture at large or worthy of garnering the kind of "you gotta listen to this!" reactions coming at me from everywhere.

But then again, I'm not a genius like Kanye. I'm just Annie in Miranda Priestly's office watching as everyone chooses which color blue I'm going to wear. :rolleyes:

Don’t rack your brain over it. Great things by definition don’t come around often. Mediocrity is plentiful.

We can add Big Thief to Shovels & Ropes and Beach House to my list of bands that on paper should be my thing, but aren't. With them, I actually kind of want to like them but don't.
I felt this way about Big Thief until their most recent album. Prior to that I liked a few tracks alright but this new one is right up my alley.

I felt this way about Big Thief until their most recent album. Prior to that I liked a few tracks alright but this new one is right up my alley.
I’m in the camp of I’ve always thought they were really good and have enjoyed every album. Including Adrianne’s solo stuff I’d put her up there with my favorite songwriters at the moment. Their new one is them finally making their GREAT album.

I also get the meh reactions to them. My wife didn’t like her voice at all until it clicked when we saw them play live.

I’m in the camp of I’ve always thought they were really good and have enjoyed every album. Including Adrianne’s solo stuff I’d put her up there with my favorite songwriters at the moment. Their new one is them finally making their GREAT album.

I also get the meh reactions to them. My wife didn’t like her voice at all until it clicked when we saw them play live.

This is how I am. I like some of their songs that I've heard but I'd probably like them more if somebody else was singing them. My wife doesn't like them at all.

Back