Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I always thought Boo-ey was the American pronunciation. I heard George Clinton (I think) on P-Funk pronounce it that way and there's the old clip of Tony Orlando singing Tie a Yellow Ribbon where he stops mid way because David is in the audience and he pronounces it Boo-ey too. That's a fun clip btw for those who haven't seen it, watch from about 12.50 in.

I shouldn't have implied that all presenters pronounce it that way. But I have heard a number of them over the years pronounce his last name Bow-ee as in Bow to the Queen. I remember Lauren Laverne saying it that way when I listened to here xfm show years back.

In my experience it's a much more even 50/50 split over here for how people pronounce it so it doesn't surprise me at all that you've heard bow as in to the Queen.

Neil Peart's last name is pronounced Peert not Pert. He said it one of his books, and yet it seems weird to pronounce it his way (the correct way) all these years later.
I remember hearing that apparently in the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story, Jekyll was originally supposed to be pronounced Jee-kyll but that pronunciation went to the wayside when the first sound movie adaptations used the pronunciation everyone uses nowadays [citatation needed]

Bjork's name is pronounced "Bee-Yerk" instead of "Bee-York." A project in one of my old English classes involved writing a feminism-related quote on a shirt from someone and wearing it around school the whole day, and she was the first to come to mind.
Also her last name is pronounced "Goond-Men-Staht-Er" iirc

I immediately thought of Gretchen Scacchi's character in The Player, or more specifically, the way Tim Robbins' character pronounced her last name.
June Gudmundsdottir

Bjork's name is pronounced "Bee-Yerk" instead of "Bee-York." A project in one of my old English classes involved writing a feminism-related quote on a shirt from someone and wearing it around school the whole day, and she was the first to come to mind.
Also her last name is pronounced "Goond-Men-Staht-Er" iirc

So, it's NOT pronounced "Buh-Jork"? 😉

While we're at pronunciations:

If something is your strong suit it is pronounced "fort" not "for-tay". One is a fencing term from French and the latter is a musical direction for loud from Italian (e.g. the full name of the instrument is pianoforte, which means soft-loud; because before that it didn't matter how dynamically you played on keyed instruments, they played one volume - looking at you, harpsichord).

It doesn't make sense if you say something is your "for-tay". However, it is so ingrained in American English that if you say it correctly people will probably think you're stupid. So...either continue on with "for-tay" or just say "my strong suit". Or come face to face with the brute fact that you are an insignificant soylent-green slurping speck and couldn't possibly be good at anything because you aren't worth anything. Either/or. Your choice.

People don't talk enough about DJ Khaled
I know this is taken out of context but just reading those words made me wanna whip my phone across the room. I can’t wait until his star fades. He seems nice enough but his level of fame vs. his level of skill/entertainment value are so out of whack I find him utterly infuriating.

Back