Hologram tours

TrainFan73

Frothy
So Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly were just here. I see they are planning a Whitney tour.

Has anyone been to one of these? Was it a worthwhile experience? Would you do it again?

A live show, for me, is about spontaneity and the ability to consistently perform. While a professional show can be a good time - see Bonnie Raitt (she put on a killer show, but it was very rehearsed - which is fine) - it can also be a disservice to the music and the fans - see Prince’s Jam of the Year tour (it was cold and by the Numbers)... I just can’t imagine having a good time going to a big venue and dealing with all of that to watch a next level movie.

I've been wondering about these too. My daughter works at a venue where the Orbison/Holly 'show' is coming in a few weeks. She gets comp tickets occasionally, I was going to see if she could get some for this so I could check it out. More out of curiosity than anything else.

It looks like its more than 50% sold from looking at the ticket site, so there is an audience for it.

So Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly were just here. I see they are planning a Whitney tour.

Has anyone been to one of these? Was it a worthwhile experience? Would you do it again?

A live show, for me, is about spontaneity and the ability to consistently perform. While a professional show can be a good time - see Bonnie Raitt (she put on a killer show, but it was very rehearsed - which is fine) - it can also be a disservice to the music and the fans - see Prince’s Jam of the Year tour (it was cold and by the Numbers)... I just can’t imagine having a good time going to a big venue and dealing with all of that to watch a next level movie.
Curiosity would get me to one, but I agree, it's the spontaneity that makes great shows great. Every concert that I remember fondly always had those moments, the "....remember when" moments.

Are you differentiating a live show from a "professional" show? I mean, was Jam of the Year tour not live? I'm just curious if you're conflating a hologram show w/ a well-rehearsed one. With that said, living in Vegas, I can get with some shows that the spontaneity is dead when it is over-rehearsed. For example, with some of the residency shows here I'm sure the show you see on Monday is identical to what someone saw on Saturday.

Also, holograms are stupid. And they're technically not holograms.

Ok - that made me look up the Roy Orbison one. Nope, got no interest in seeing this after all.

Cut to about 3 minutes in for Roy's 'entrance'.

They should promote it as ‘Ghost Roy’. That would be a show i’d go to see.

Who you going to see tonight?

Ghost Roy

What, that stupid show with the hologram of Roy Orbison?

It’s not actually a hologram. It’s his ghost. It’s Ghost Roy.

Fuck that, i’m Getting a ticket too.

Ghost Roy

Did you ever see Ghost Hunters with Sean Ryder & Bez? We should recreate that on stage with this technology and dead rock stars.

Ghost Roy

Too bad he never covered Ghost Riders in the Sky. That has to be the encore.

View attachment 17490

Funny you should mention that

It seems Roy’s ghost appeared to Cash and told him to hold on to life in his final years. Maybe he can tempt him to float back onto the stage. Ghost Roy and Spooky Cash Dead On Stage.

According to Wikipedia, over 50 people recorded Ghost Riders in the Sky. They can have a different special guest for each shows encore.

Are you differentiating a live show from a "professional" show? I mean, was Jam of the Year tour not live? I'm just curious if you're conflating a hologram show w/ a well-rehearsed one. With that said, living in Vegas, I can get with some shows that the spontaneity is dead when it is over-rehearsed. For example, with some of the residency shows here I'm sure the show you see on Monday is identical to what someone saw on Saturday.

Also, holograms are stupid. And they're technically not holograms.

It’s an analogy. If a spontaneous show is awesome and a rehearsed show is less so (to be fair, I’ve been to amazing rehearsed shows too - Velvet Rope Tour was fantastic); a weird movie is even less appealing.

Back