Hip Hop

This was burned on to many CD-R’s in 2000. I thought he was gonna be big. Puff Daddy was pushing him hard but after this track he kinda dropped off the face of the earth.

Same! I heard that album and was like this dude gonna blow up.. then yeh faded hard.

I completely forgot about him until I was looking over Harlem Worlds track list lol.

I like him tho and I also had this track on every "mix" cd for a long long time haha

After some more thinking, I believe I can articulate why I hate the Chance album so much and it isn't just the quality of the music. Go listen to YBN Cordae's track with Chance off his new album, called "Bad Idea". This is a better Chance track than ANY song on Big Day. Chance's verse on this feature is better than any verse on Big Day (or at least the majority of them). The fact that YBN could release his debut album as a much younger artist and do Chance's sound so much better than Chance makes the Big Day listening experience even more frustrating.

After some more thinking, I believe I can articulate why I hate the Chance album so much and it isn't just the quality of the music. Go listen to YBN Cordae's track with Chance off his new album, called "Bad Idea". This is a better Chance track than ANY song on Big Day. Chance's verse on this feature is better than any verse on Big Day (or at least the majority of them). The fact that YBN could release his debut album as a much younger artist and do Chance's sound so much better than Chance makes the Big Day listening experience even more frustrating.

The Big Day is trash. He's charging a lot for the pre-order vinyl as well, probably because its gonna be 3 LPs. I think he should have focused on quality instead of releasing an album that probably could have been pared down to about 10 or 12 songs. 77 minutes is a lot to take in, I was bored with it after like the 3rd song. I had high hopes for this album after hearing those 4 songs he released over the winter, which were classic Chance in my opinion.

I take it you disagree? It's an opinion and I just feel like it was a huge letdown. I've been listening to Chance since 2012 and have always supported him. I am just not feeling the vibe of it at all.
It’s not his best work. Just tired of the hyperbolic overreaction of everyone calling it trash. It might be overlong and unfocused but it’s not a disaster. If you liked his earlier stuff this album isn’t a huge departure.

My dude, scroll back through the posts. I have posted ad nauseum my thoughts on The Big Day.

I'm not talking about your previous posts. I'm talking about your one-emoji reply to someone explaining why they don't like the album. Saying this album is trash is not hyperbole. People all over the thread have provided countless reasons why they feel that way. At least contribute to the discussion if you are going to respond.

PS: The album is trash.

I'm not talking about your previous posts. I'm talking about your one-emoji reply to someone explaining why they don't like the album. Saying this album is trash is not hyperbole. People all over the thread have provided countless reasons why they feel that way. At least contribute to the discussion if you are going to respond.

:rolleyes:

Because scrolling is hard...

When is the backlash against “The Big Day” is trash backlash gonna start? I think I could jump on the “Well, actually it’s not that bad” bandwagon. I mean there is a lot of stuff going on in this record and not all of it works but there are certainly things that grab my attention too. It might not be a stone classic but there are some nice moments and it certainly isn’t an embarrassment that some corners of the interweb are painting it as. I mean just because it’s not “Acid Rap” doesn’t mean it bad. In a way it reminds me of TLOP in that that album took me a while to warm up to but it was intriguing enough that it kept pulling me back in and ended up one on my favorites of that year. I am not saying it will end up being as well regarded as TLOP but it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up with a nice healthy number next to my play count once the year ends. Time will tell.
If nothing else you are man of conviction Clint!

IMHO Chance is fun and positive and feels like he is very genuine in who he is. I also think that over the past 5 years he jumped on that hype-train and road it all the way to the bank. In the process he way overexposed himself (I mean every other commercial on my TV is Chance with Lionel Richie hocking Flamin’ Hot Doritos) Which completely set himself up for this type of backlash. I have a feeling that this reaction was going to be baked into whatever record he dropped. I doubt it will be regarded as his best album but if ya liked his early shit this record ain’t that much of deviation.
No, it’s fine. It’s not his best album but it’s alright. It’s unfocused and overlong but it’s not garbage like the hyperbolic overreaction you are seeing. I think Pitchfork’s review was about dead on with its middling 6.9 rating.

Chance has basically spent the last 5 years in the limelight after capturing the cultural zeitgeist with “Acid Rap”. He basically oversaturated the market. He became less and less cool and interesting the more ubiquitous he became in popular culture. I mean, he has had Flamin’ Hot Doritos and Reeses peanut butter cup commercials in between doing voiceover for The Lion King and hosting episodes of SNL. Drake isn’t even out there as much as Chance has been. All that to say Chance’s cool cache is spent. The only way general public didn’t hate “The Big Day” would have been if it was a complete change up in style but that’s not what “The Big Day” is, it’s just a continuation of Coloring Book and Acid Rap. Which is fine, it just wasn’t enough to stave off those chomping at the bit to knock em off his high horse.

At this point, I figure Chance’s career will go one of two ways; either he will go the way of Will Smith and become more of an entertainer than a rapper or he will lay low for awhile then release a “comeback” album in a few years.
Nah, you are prolly right on. I was cool with about 8-10 and I have listened to it all the way through twice. The album is not his best. It is also not terrible. People like to take pot shots at the easy target and be super hyperbolic out the gate. In 10 years there will be people lauding it’s brilliance and calling it a underrated classic (which won’t be true either). I personally find myself rolling my eyes a lot reading others comments about how bad it is. It not great and being that his previous albums were perceived (by many) as such I certainly get the disappointment but to act like this record is markably worse than his previous output is goofy. I mean if you thought he was corny and didn’t enjoy Acid Rap or Coloring Book I could see you not enjoying this but to say those albums were brilliant and the new one is garbage is absurd. Not as good? Sure. Stale? Yeah. Trash? Hardly.
Also,I have never spent so much time defending an album that I genuinely find mediocre ever.
Hope that’s a enough of a contribution to the conversation for ya. :rolleyes:

It’s not his best work. Just tired of the hyperbolic overreaction of everyone calling it trash. It might be overlong and unfocused but it’s not a disaster. If you liked his earlier stuff this album isn’t a huge departure.

I dug Acid Rap and some tracks off 10 Day. I do not hear any of that on this album tbh. This sounds like everything I disliked about Coloring Book put into a blender with a bunch of collaborators I could care less about and spewed into a, IMO, bad album. I’m with you on the hyperbole thing being played out but some people won’t like this album because Chance isn’t making music for them anymore and that’s ok, just like it’s ok to like it.

I dug Acid Rap and some tracks off 10 Day. I do not hear any of that on this album tbh. This sounds like everything I disliked about Coloring Book put into a blender with a bunch of collaborators I could care less about and spewed into a, IMO, bad album. I’m with you on the hyperbole thing being played out but some people won’t like this album because Chance isn’t making music for them anymore and that’s ok, just like it’s ok to like it.
Exactly! I get the disappointment. Stereogums pre-mature evaluation I think nailed it in their review...

Back