Hip Hop

I need a yawn/boring emoji @admin
@NathanRicaud I am coming for you purely for actually rating someone for adlibs & "vibe" over someone with real songs lyrics style and substance? Generally rated among his peers too. Cmon
Yes, Big Sean has real songs and more lyrics and some substance, but his music is very average at the best! There’s nothing special or interesting about him in my opinion. He is very popular so he has a very big strong base of course, but I just think he’s a mediocre rapper who brings nothing to the table.

Playboi Carti on the other hand is futuristic, fresh and is really innovative. He is definitely a ‘less is more’ kind of artist in that he doesn’t give you a lot lyrically/substance wise, but his quirky ad-libs/repetitive lyrics and flow over those hypnotic, swirling, Minimal and digital Beats is extremely creative and intoxicating to say the least.

Artistically Playboi Carti is on another level to Big Sean for me. Playboi Carti is more along the lines of artists like Young Thug and 21 Savage whereas Big Sean is like Kid Ink and Tyga for me. Sorry.

Last edited:
I need a yawn/boring emoji @admin
@NathanRicaud I am coming for you purely for actually rating someone for adlibs & "vibe" over someone with real songs lyrics style and substance? Generally rated among his peers too. Cmon
I don't know...I don't like Big Sean at all. I find his whole sound and personality hella boring. I could go the rest of my life and never hear another Big Sean song and be fine with it.

But I fux with Carti. @NathanRicaud is right, it's a vibe. Alot of credit goes to Piere Bourne no doubt. But Carti's stuff has life, while I find Big Sean to be very meh. I mean, I still spazz every time I hear Magnolia.

I don't know...I don't like Big Sean at all. I find his whole sound and personality hella boring. I could go the rest of my life and never hear another Big Sean song and be fine with it.

But I fux with Carti. @NathanRicaud is right, it's a vibe. Alot of credit goes to Piere Bourne no doubt. But Carti's stuff has life, while I find Big Sean to be very meh. I mean, I still spazz every time I hear Magnolia.
Thats cool and fair I respect your opinion but other than die lit. Has he done anything else worthy of the praise?

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. I just find Big Sean very boring unfortunately whereas the Playboi Carti/Pi’Erre Bourne combo is something hypnotic and mesmerising! Puts you into a trance and it’s just a really trendy, sugary, infectious aesthetic that has so much life to it!

Love the late night-New York, swirling, semi-nostalgic 90’s fashion vibes from songs like Magnolia! Can’t beat it! Classic!

Thats cool and fair I respect your opinion but other than die lit. Has he done anything else worthy of the praise?
Cheers! Definitely respect yours as well. And to be fair, I haven't listened to Detroit 2, which I've heard is supposedly great, so maybe he'll finally click with me. I will forever be grateful to him for getting that game-changing Control verse out of Kendrick.

Cheers! Definitely respect yours as well. And to be fair, I haven't listened to Detroit 2, which I've heard is supposedly great, so maybe he'll finally click with me. I will forever be grateful to him for getting that game-changing Control verse out of Kendrick.
Yeah, I’ve never liked any of his albums at all but I’ve heard great things about Detroit 2 as well! I need to check it out but haven’t bothered yet because I’m not a fan of his music at all.

I’ll definitely check out Detroit 2 sometime soon though! Could very well be a Big Sean album I at least find good! ☺️

Open Mike Eagle's album release party was the best concert I didn't go to this year. They said it'd be up for 7 days if anyone is interested.

Cant find this hat anywhere..
Anyone got a line on this ?

gpzHdsz.png

I give up.
It's a fucking mystery lol Looked at probably 50+ sites.

Last edited:
I think it’s because their music is more traditional and Griselda is very hip-hop if you know what I mean. They don’t have that alternative edge that BROCKHAMPTON, MF DOOM, Denzel Curry, JPEGMAFIA, Vince Staples, Danny Brown and Tyler The Creator have if you know what I mean. Like I’m sure you’d even like both of the albums Freddie Gibbs & Madlib’s released as it has that alternative flavour even though it’s very hip-hop.

What are your favourite hip-hop albums from the 90’s?

If I was to imagine what kind of hip-hop 100 Gecs, SOPHIE, Radiohead, Stella Donnelly, Clarence Clarity and Charli XCX fans like for example, JPEGMAFIA, Run The Jewels. Rico Nasty, Kevin Abstract, Childish Gambino etc come to mind, not Griselda.

Anyone can like any music of course, which is definitely you Gap (you’re variety of taste is really wide). But I am definitely not surprised you can’t gravitate to Griselda. I’d imagine you would find most of their music pretty boring!
I meant to respond to this earlier but forgot 🤪 apologies

I guess maybe it being very "traditional" hip-hop has something to do with it... I have an affinity for albums and artists that try new things or experiment around with different sounds, and most of my favorite albums have a variety of sounds going on throughout their runtime. This extends to hip-hop albums I would consider for inclusion in my all-time favorites. For example, Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition is just as impressive from a production standpoint as it is for Danny's performances and writing, the demented and experimental sounds make an amazing off-kilter pairing with Danny's unique and frenzied delivery to make a truly singular experience; it's not just that the beats are great and unorthodox, but that they help put you in the mindset of what Danny is trying to portray throughout the album. Another favorite of mine is Denzel Curry's TA13OO, and how the production shifts from soft and melodic at the beginning to gradually become more agressive and dark as the album progresses. It provides an engaging experience, like the deeper you go into the album, the more unrelenting it gets.

I think it's clear that as a listener I tend to prioritize how the music sounds above most other factors. I admit to not being great at parsing lyrics, especially on first listen, which is where artists like those in Griselda shine. I just don't necessarily find myself engaged by hip-hop that emphasizes lyrics with the production often just feeling very static. I guess you could say that's a shallow side of my music tastes, that I'm guilty of falling for style over substance a lot of the time.

For all that rambling though, I finally got around to listening to the entirety of The Koreatown Oddity's Little Dominiques Nosebleed earlier and it has a good chance of popping up on my year-end list. It's got a lot of what I like in a hip-hop record; a rapper with an engaging enough personality to keep you tuned in the whole runtime, interesting production that doesn't get repetitive and a willingness to experiment with song structures and unusual sounds. I don't get all of these things from a lot of hip-hop projects, which makes hip-hop records that totally click with me feel even more special. Maybe it's high standards or maybe I'm just a basic bitch who doesn't know good hip-hop when she hears it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who can know these things?

I meant to respond to this earlier but forgot 🤪 apologies

I guess maybe it being very "traditional" hip-hop has something to do with it... I have an affinity for albums and artists that try new things or experiment around with different sounds, and most of my favorite albums have a variety of sounds going on throughout their runtime. This extends to hip-hop albums I would consider for inclusion in my all-time favorites. For example, Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition is just as impressive from a production standpoint as it is for Danny's performances and writing, the demented and experimental sounds make an amazing off-kilter pairing with Danny's unique and frenzied delivery to make a truly singular experience; it's not just that the beats are great and unorthodox, but that they help put you in the mindset of what Danny is trying to portray throughout the album. Another favorite of mine is Denzel Curry's TA13OO, and how the production shifts from soft and melodic at the beginning to gradually become more agressive and dark as the album progresses. It provides an engaging experience, like the deeper you go into the album, the more unrelenting it gets.

I think it's clear that as a listener I tend to prioritize how the music sounds above most other factors. I admit to not being great at parsing lyrics, especially on first listen, which is where artists like those in Griselda shine. I just don't necessarily find myself engaged by hip-hop that emphasizes lyrics with the production often just feeling very static. I guess you could say that's a shallow side of my music tastes, that I'm guilty of falling for style over substance a lot of the time.

For all that rambling though, I finally got around to listening to the entirety of The Koreatown Oddity's Little Dominiques Nosebleed earlier and it has a good chance of popping up on my year-end list. It's got a lot of what I like in a hip-hop record; a rapper with an engaging enough personality to keep you tuned in the whole runtime, interesting production that doesn't get repetitive and a willingness to experiment with song structures and unusual sounds. I don't get all of these things from a lot of hip-hop projects, which makes hip-hop records that totally click with me feel even more special. Maybe it's high standards or maybe I'm just a basic bitch who doesn't know good hip-hop when she hears it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who can know these things?
This is a really good response! Thanks for taking the time to write this. It definitely helps me understand what it is in an album/music you generally like, even though there are always exceptions!

The description of Danny Brown’s Atrocity Exhibition you have was absolutely on point! That album is a top 5 hip-hop album of the 2010’s for me as well and I would rate it a 10/10! The description of Denzel Curry’s TA13OO was also on point and perfectly summed up the album experience!

I think you are the opposite of a basic bitch! Like you are very open-minded and left field and the reasonings behind why you love Atrocity Exhibition and TA13OO don’t make you a basic bitch when it comes to hip-hop! I have never heard of The Koreatown Oddity but I’m listening to their album ‘Little Dominiques Nosebleed’ and I’m really digging it and am impressed with what I’m hearing!!! I discovered a hip-hop album because of you!

Also, you really like Busdriver in general and dig El-P’s 2007 album so you definitely aren’t a basic bitch when it comes to your taste and knowledge in hip-hop music! If you are basic in hip-hop and have high standards, then the same is for me in pop music in comparison to you! I love all kind of pop but feel I’m a bit basic and have pretty high standards!

I’m also like you in that the aesthetic and sounds are what draw me to an album/music and less so lyrically. But I do listen to the lyrics and they make a difference for me. I think it’s a little bit the reason why I think Benny the Butcher’s latest album is his best, better than Tana Talk 3 - although it’s got less of a dark, claustrophobic, indulgent sound and is more lighthearted, I feel like lyrically, Benny the Butcher has improved much more on Burden of Proof and sounds more confident and sounds like a rapper peaking!

Back