Heathens - The DBT Thread

My physical copy won't arrive until later this week or early next, so I can't speak to that part of things, but the remixed, resequenced and couple re-recorded vocals make a damn fine listen indeed. I think it's a worthwhile endeavor, but it's also one of my favourite albums so I had bo hesitancy to double dip.
It's funny - It's one of my favorite albums too, but I haven't listened to the new version yet because I don't know that it really needed any building on. I do like the new songs that were added though from hearing them in other places, so I suppose I should give it a spin.

Gave the Complete Dirty South a listen, and ordered a copy. TVA fits really well in the sequencing. That being said, I'm not impressed with the recut vocals for Puttin' People on the Moon and The Sands of Iwo Jima. It feels like the tone in Puttin' People on the Moon has switched from resignment / desperation to anger, and Sands of Iwo Jima doesn't seem as wistful. They didn't feel the same to me.

Anyway, looking forward to getting a physical copy w/ all the extras.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was on Discogs browsing releases that feature DBT members, this one seemed particularly intriguing and came up at a good price as an add-on to an order I recently placed. I'm nearly halfway through and loving it so far. It's a somewhat sneaky DBT side band album (by the credits on 'cogs Cooley only shows up on two songs, and Isbell even shows up on one, but the rest of the gang is all here - Patterson even produced it and wrote the liner notes) - from searching this here site, I see @Corycm is hip to it already, but I wanted to drop it in here for those who may not be and might be interested.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was on Discogs browsing releases that feature DBT members, this one seemed particularly intriguing and came up at a good price as an add-on to an order I recently placed. I'm nearly halfway through and loving it so far. It's a somewhat sneaky DBT side band album (by the credits on 'cogs Cooley only shows up on two songs, and Isbell even shows up on one, but the rest of the gang is all here - Patterson even produced it and wrote the liner notes) - from searching this here site, I see @Corycm is hip to it already, but I wanted to drop it in here for those who may not be and might be interested.

See also

IMG_4325.jpegIMG_4329.jpegIMG_4334.jpeg

Hell Yeah Indeed!! Excellent show last night. Don't have a setlist yet, but got lots of Dirty South songs interspersed across their entire catalogue, including the rarely played Too Much Sex, Too Little Jesus and an exquisite version of Angels and Fuselage to close out the show.

Getting Where the Devil Don't Stay early set a great tone for the show. Nice extended intro on The Boys From Alabama. Happy to hear Tornadoes, Gravity's Gone. Mrs. ImTheOcean really enjoyed Mercy Buckets. And getting both Sinkhole and Lookout Mountain gave me most of the guitar riffs I needed.

Maybe I hadn't noticed the last time I saw them (since it's been 7 years) but Jay is a great presence in the band. Not flashy at all, but kills it on both the slide solos and on piano / B3.

Getting Where the Devil Don't Stay early set a great tone for the show. Nice extended intro on The Boys From Alabama. Happy to hear Tornadoes, Gravity's Gone. Mrs. ImTheOcean really enjoyed Mercy Buckets. And getting both Sinkhole and Lookout Mountain gave me most of the guitar riffs I needed.

Maybe I hadn't noticed the last time I saw them (since it's been 7 years) but Jay is a great presence in the band. Not flashy at all, but kills it on both the slide solos and on piano / B3.

Oooh, Uncle Frank and 18 Wheels of Love too! Niiiiiiice.

Oooh, Uncle Frank and 18 Wheels of Love too! Niiiiiiice.
Got the OG 18 Wheels story to kick it off. Didn't do "the rest of the story" as he had in the past. I have a soft spot for that song as when my son was young, I got him to sing it all the time, and he would sing "mama ran off with a trucker" over and over when my wife would take him out. Solid parenting tip!

Back